Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messed up rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Vertex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up rear bumper

Recently, when trying to pull out of a space in a parking lot, my mom t-boned a Corolla with the rear end, and now it looks horrible. I was informed that it wouldn't buff out, because of how the paint [or plastic?] formed a ridge on the rear end. So with the easiest option out, what's the cheapest way to get it looking good again without sacrificing too much quality? Would it be more efficient to get a replacement aftermarket bumper [Also, if this is best, please give a reputable site. Some look like cheap toy-grade plastic pieces that would fall off if you poked them] or somehow get it refinished?

On a side note, the gas cap seems to be unaligned with the passenger side rear fender. I'm not sure if it's related to the accident, but it falls squarely under "Exterior", so if there's a replacement available, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Messed up rear bumper-100_0345_2.jpg   Messed up rear bumper-100_0355_2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2007, 11:38 AM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by Vertex
Recently, when trying to pull out of a space in a parking lot, my mom t-boned a Corolla with the rear end, and now it looks horrible. I was informed that it wouldn't buff out, because of how the paint [or plastic?] formed a ridge on the rear end. So with the easiest option out, what's the cheapest way to get it looking good again without sacrificing too much quality? Would it be more efficient to get a replacement aftermarket bumper [Also, if this is best, please give a reputable site. Some look like cheap toy-grade plastic pieces that would fall off if you poked them] or somehow get it refinished?

On a side note, the gas cap seems to be unaligned with the passenger side rear fender. I'm not sure if it's related to the accident, but it falls squarely under "Exterior", so if there's a replacement available, please let me know.
take it to a body shop. they will be able to fix and repaint it and it will end up being cheaper than buying a new rear and getting that painted.

-b-
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM
stein

^^, you generally only need a new one if it is deformed, cracked, etc... That looks to be just scuffed and can be sanded down, repainted and refitted.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You let who drive what? LOL. Just kidding...Sh&t Happens. Good Luck getting it fixed.