Sponsored by:

Tape On OEM Rear Wing???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 AM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tape On OEM Rear Wing???

Hey guys,

I just got an OEM rear wing and wanted to mount it without using the bolts and drilling holes. I pryed the bolt mounts off and was looking at the wing with the preinstalled tape it came with. I have already installed one of these with the 3M tape but was wondering if this tape would be just as good. Reason I ask is it is already on the wing and I would like to save some time with the install.

I just dont know if this tape is all that good. I hear the wing is a pain to take off when guys mount something bigger. I guess I am asking for some support on the just using the OEM tape already on the wing...

THANX
Old 06-12-2007, 09:56 AM
benDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to get alot of people telling you it's ok to mount a wing with just 3m tape.

However, I tell my dealers and my friends the same thing:

NO. Do it right.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

factory is two clips, two 10mm nuts and *gasp* the entire inner edge lined with 3m all weather tape.

if you already took off the bolt mounts off, isnt this a moot point? you'll pretty much have to tape it on now. just besure to use 3M all weather. not the white foamy generic stuff at office depot.

there is nothing wrong with using tape. just as long as your prep the surface prior, alcohol swab to clear the surface of grease and wax, heat it up if you want, and then stick on the wing and press press press! it'll stay put.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM
benDF

Granted 3m tape may be ok on this particular wing, I personally like to have my parts installed the way they were engineered to be.

Over the last decade or so of being in this business, I have seen way too many parts fly off cars due to improper installation to just ignore bolts that are designed to hold a part in place.

However, to each their own. Some people still roll around with unpainted body parts on their cars...
Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

dont just use tape, do it right. if you mickey mouse it imagine if it were to come off for some reason, at lets say 70-90 mph. that could do some damage. just do it right the first time or dont do it at all.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
djnc

that much surface area of tape won't come off easy...just tape it...its not a wing, its a spoiler...its one long mounting point...not two little ones