Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 PM
ickysz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors

So I painted my calipers today, painted them metallic black, looks very clean, so clean you cant even see them in a photo haha but anyway... I had some leftover paint & decided to paint the stock grill (which is already black, but a sorta faded plastic black), turned out very nice, grill is bright metallic black, then I went for the rotors, grabbed some brass coin cleaner stuff that is made for old *** coins, rubbed the dirt, oil, tire dust & rust completly off, worked great. 2 hours later I washed my car & everything was in tact.

Like I said it's hard to see the calipers in my pics, but everything looks a lot better.

Ickysz
Attached Thumbnails Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors-newzpic2.jpg  
Old 06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
aDDandrew

You should get a bigger picture and some pictures of all the things you did on the car.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:45 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aDDandrew
You should get a bigger picture and some pictures of all the things you did on the car.

Lol, yeah that.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

picture is too small
Old 06-13-2007, 07:24 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by gsazabi
picture is too small

Absolutely Too small !

Repost with better pics and d etails.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Old 06-13-2007, 08:01 PM
ickysz

Default ok ok...

Ok let me do this over....

I wanted to paint my brake calipers, so I went to advance auto parts & picked up some dupli-color black metallic spray paint... I didnt have access to anything to lift my car up so I had to paint through my rims, which all I did is sprayed the paint in a bowl & used a 50 cent paint brush to paint the calipers, very easy but I DO think I missed a couple spots I'll go over tomarrow. Now here is one of my rims w/ the caliper painted but the rotor is rusty/dirty/dusty... . Next step was to shine up my rotors, I started w/ some fine sandpaper to get the big rust spots off, I relized this wasnt a great way to go because it left a couple scratch marks that I had to buff out, then I remembered I had some Brasso coin cleaner, if it cleans filth off of coins,then it must work on this.. & it did, very very good stuff here, found it in my garage & dont know where it came from ..
Now here is the end result..

The cam flash made everything brighter than it really is, the caliper is solid black, parts may look white or not black at all because of the flash & metallic in the black.

There ya go! 5 bucks for a can of dupli-color paint ,50 cents for a foam brush & about an hour for all wheels!

Oh yeah & the grill, I cant wait to get my bumper re-painted & those holes filled, this pic brings out every imperfection , but the grill looks a lot better here, sorry I dont have a before pic but you know what the orig grill black plastic color looks like
Attached Thumbnails Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors-bigrim.jpg   Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors-bigrim2.jpg   Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors-biggrill.jpg   Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors-brasso.jpg   Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors-paint.jpg  

Last edited by ickysz; 06-13-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

nice, i would get rid of those chrome rims though
Old 06-13-2007, 08:35 PM
ickysz

jesus christ! why do so many people hate on my rims on this board ,yet people around in my town love them?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by ickysz
jesus christ! why do so many people hate on my rims on this board ,yet people around in my town love them?
Sweet Home Alabamaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 06-13-2007, 08:56 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Ok let me do this over....

I wanted to paint my brake calipers, so I went to advance auto parts & picked up some dupli-color black metallic spray paint... I didnt have access to anything to lift my car up so I had to paint through my rims, which all I did is sprayed the paint in a bowl & used a 50 cent paint brush to paint the calipers, very easy but I DO think I missed a couple spots I'll go over tomarrow. Now here is one of my rims w/ the caliper painted but the rotor is rusty/dirty/dusty... . Next step was to shine up my rotors, I started w/ some fine sandpaper to get the big rust spots off, I relized this wasnt a great way to go because it left a couple scratch marks that I had to buff out, then I remembered I had some Brasso coin cleaner, if it cleans filth off of coins,then it must work on this.. & it did, very very good stuff here, found it in my garage & dont know where it came from ..
Now here is the end result..

The cam flash made everything brighter than it really is, the caliper is solid black, parts may look white or not black at all because of the flash & metallic in the black.

There ya go! 5 bucks for a can of dupli-color paint ,50 cents for a foam brush & about an hour for all wheels!

Oh yeah & the grill, I cant wait to get my bumper re-painted & those holes filled, this pic brings out every imperfection , but the grill looks a lot better here, sorry I dont have a before pic but you know what the orig grill black plastic color looks like

And to think, I spent all day putting the car on jack stands to take off all 4 wheels, disassembled the calipers to hang them on wire and hand painted them with high temperature caliper paint 4 times each. Why didn't i just paint them through the spokes

And I spent $12 on paint (although it did come with brake cleaner and the brush).

Chris
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 PM
hatchboi

good job my friend
Old 06-14-2007, 03:56 AM
twenzel

LOL at this thread...

So when the paint starts flaking off your grill AND your calipers in a couple weeks, I suggest biting the bullet and buying a jack and a set of jack stands and the RIGHT KIND OF PAINT to do it again.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:01 AM
push

I don't quite understand why you detailed the rotors? They are going to get rusty again with the first hint of moisture? The rust all comes off the first time you use the brakes.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rice...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Richy350Z

Originally Posted by gsazabi
Sweet Home Alabamaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
saberphx

mmm chrome rims and improperly painted plastic. This thread is from ghettosouth USA.

I kid...sorta..
Old 06-14-2007, 01:44 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by push
I don't quite understand why you detailed the rotors? They are going to get rusty again with the first hint of moisture.
+1

"A" for effort.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdracer76
Old 06-14-2007, 02:13 PM
benDF

I've been to Alabama a few times. Things are a bit uh... different there.

Quick Reply: Painted my calipers,front grill & shined the rotors