Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bonehead hatch strut mistake - need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
jerryp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bonehead hatch strut mistake - need suggestions

OK, so I got an OEM rear lip spoiler (from courtesyparts) and installed it on my new '07 Z. Very pleased. Should have done that first before trying to save a few bucks through spoilerdepot.com, which really sucked in quality and service by the way.

The OEM spoiler came with some upgrade (heavier duty) struts for the hatch to make up for the extra weight of the ridiculously light spoiler. I couldn't decide whether I should use them or just sell them but I decided what the hell, let me put them on, should be simple and I already have them. The instructions are incredibly simple, but like a bonehead I didn't follow them and messed it up before I even got started.

I was curious about how the ball locks in on the connector and before I knew it I had mated them together with a snap, only problem is that I mated the bottom bracket where the top bracket belongs. This thing is not meant to come off apparently as I was unable to pull it back off nor pry it lose with a small screwdriver, as there is a c-clip of sorts holding the ball in.

I did some searches and found some vague posts about dremeling the ball out of the socket for strut re-use, and googling I found some semi-related discussions of using a fine dental pick to maybe pry the c-clip . Has anybody here had any experience with removing the ball end of the bracket connector from the end of the strut socket? I assume that either way I will either ruin the c-clip or the ball and need a new bracket, but I want to salvage the strut of course.

Another option I thought of is mounting them both upside-down... this saves me from having to mess with it and/or order a new connector end. anyone have any technical (or other) reason why or why not to do this?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pull c-clip off, pull strut off and reattach. Its that simple
Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

need some pics. I can't quite picture what you're trying to describe.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 AM
jerryp

Originally Posted by vo7848
need some pics. I can't quite picture what you're trying to describe.
ok, this is a pic of what it looks like (attached) and what it should like (without being attached).

i wish it were as simple as just 'remove the clip'. i'd like to see how thats done.
Attached Thumbnails bonehead hatch strut mistake - need suggestions-img_0971.jpg   bonehead hatch strut mistake - need suggestions-img_0974.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM
jerryp

ok, i found some generic links advising against upside-down strut mounting so i'm not going that route.

if anyone has a clue how to un-mate the ball end of the bottom connector from the strut without damage to the strut (or clip) i'd appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM
z stud 13
Banned

when they replaced mine they had to cut the old ones out and replace the whole thing. just cut it and use the old ones
Old 08-03-2007, 02:50 PM
jerryp

Originally Posted by z stud 13
when they replaced mine they had to cut the old ones out and replace the whole thing. just cut it and use the old ones
ok, well, it is possible to extract this without damage. I just successfully did it using a $4 two-pack of dental picks available at Target. With the one heavier pick i pushed in on the c-clip in the middle/bottom to get the part with the open end 'c' to come up to the surface and the i used the other one to get underneath and pry the clip out while maintaining tension still. the clip is sturdy and holds it's shape. you can then pop the clip back in for re-use using a small socket that fits within the ball housing, and a light tap from a hammer. takes quite a bit of patience and some good lighting to pry the clip out but it can be done.

this technique might be necessary when removing and replacing the same hatch struts (for whatever reason) because once the ends are connected to the ***** it is difficult to get the top bolt into the hatch without stripping the thread in the hatch.