Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shift knob and Boot (MOMO)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Delako

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shift **** and Boot (MOMO)

Crappy cell phone pic. Digital cam is broken.

I was lucky in that my stock **** screwed right off. However this momo boot has elastic and is made of high high quality leather (very thick and stiff, compared to the stock very thin and flexible) which makes it hard to stretch and fit. Plus the momo boot was much longer and thinner than stock and had elastic at the end. Trimming was required, lots of trimming, lots of punching holes thru the leather to fit around the screw pegs underneath.

Also, since the boot screws into the bottom of the **** (has a finisher if you use the stock boot, but it doesnt look as good) it created a challenge. Once the boot is screwed onto the **** you cannot tighten the hex nuts to secure it. So you have to secure the **** first..then find a way to twist the boot onto the ****. So you have to have the boot attached to the **** BEFORE you attach it to the trim ring, then screw the underplate back on to secure the boot while its attached to the **** on the car... checking to see if any leather escaped, and loosening screws/tugging the leather to get it right. Annoying but doable.

So after all that I drive, and theres a nice RATTLE which annoys me to no end. So Tomorrow I am gonna take it apart and I suppose wrap a thin piece of tape around the metal spacer that I assume is causing the rattle.

While its apart I am going to Dremel the plastic threads out of the shift boot that screws into the bottom of the ****. The plastic collar and boot are stiff enough that they press up snug against the bottom of the **** anyways, and if I dremel the threads out I can attach the boot to the console before I have to put on the ****..making things 30 times easier if I get sick of this **** or need to adjust anythng else.

Got all that?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 PM
meaj82

Looks good.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Zridder19

niiice