Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need information from professionals about clear-bras.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 AM
pacfwu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need information from professionals about clear-bras.

I searched but couldn't find anything that quite answers this question. But first a story:

I had to take my NISMO to the dealership to have a belt replaced. When the guy pulled it into the shop he drove into one of the arms for the lift and gouged my lower front bumper and naturally tore up the clear bra. Of course the dealership sent it out for repair work right away and I got it back yesterday. The NISMO clear bra comes in 2 pieces, one for the lower bumper/spoiler and one for the upper bumper. When they repaired the lower part of the bumper, they left the clear bra on the upper bumper and baked the whole thing in one of those booths that they use for the paint to cure.

I got my car back yesterday and didn't notice it right away since it was parked in the shade, but when I got home I could see that the remaining clear bra was not right. There are sections that show up from 20 feet away in bright sunlight that have a different texture. It looks stretched, stressed, and slightly wrinkled.

I had just washed and dried the car before I noticed the belt was shot and there was nothing funky about the clear-bra before it was taken to the dealership. I will be taking the car back today and I will make them replace it.

My question is this: Do you think has something to do with with being in the baker's booth and possibly the bra trying to shink or even getting too hot and melting a bit? Or could this be from some product being spilled/sprayed on it that could mar the bra?

Sorry for the long read and that I don't have pictures to show what I'm talking about. I didn't have my camera yesterday when it was sunny and today it's overcast and you can't really see it. Just looking for someone that has an in-depth knowledge of clear bras than can tell me if they know of anything that could cause this.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:44 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been installing ClearMask for a while now and I have never heard of this. I know I dont recommend "baking" the film after it is on. It has to cure naturally and if you apply to much heat right away it will "haze" it. I would be curious to know how hot it got inside the booth... they may have ruined the original kit. But I wouldnt be for sure without more details. PM me if you have any more questions...
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
I have been installing ClearMask for a while now and I have never heard of this. I know I dont recommend "baking" the film after it is on. It has to cure naturally and if you apply to much heat right away it will "haze" it. I would be curious to know how hot it got inside the booth... they may have ruined the original kit. But I wouldnt be for sure without more details. PM me if you have any more questions...
Do you not recommend using a heat gun or hairdryer when applying it? The guy who does mine uses it after he installs my stuff havent had a problem but I just had my new headlights done and they still look hazy after a couple weeks and he used a hair dryer... ?

Thanks