MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Attention all Veilside Version 1 owners (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/35630-attention-all-veilside-version-1-owners.html)

1200tt 07-09-2003 11:59 AM

Attention all Veilside Version 1 owners

It has been brought to Veilside's attention that some owners are having problems with cracking on the sides of the front lips. Please make sure that the lip is flush with the factory bumper on these sides. If you find that they are properly attached, but are still experiencing cracking, please submit your photos, with your purchasing information (name of dealer whom you bought it from).

Veilside would like to study the lips to find out what problems there may be and will VeilSide will rectify the problems. Also Veilside is intent to make sure that thier customers are happy with thier purchase.

Once your order is verified as coming from the proper Veilside USA distribution channels with pictures, VeilSide USA will replace your lip at no shipping costs or other fees.

Please submit everything by August 9th, 2003 to info@veilside.com with the subject line:
Veilside Z ver 1 lip replacement

I will do my best to answer your questions, or issues.

Ray

chaknchngo 07-09-2003 12:54 PM

I just recently bought the full kit, and got them installed yesterday. How long before people see this cracking..and is VS going to pay for the paint and install??

1200tt 07-09-2003 02:51 PM

Most of the information was found on this board of people complaining. So the response on this board is what caused Veilside to take action to make sure all thier customers are satisfied with their purchase.

Unfortunatly repainting and reinstallation will not be paid for.

shaneotool 07-09-2003 03:09 PM

I've got the ver 1 carbon lip arriving this week and I want to make sure I put it on right.

Does it come with instructions?
What do I have to do to install it correctly to keep it from cracking?

1200tt 07-09-2003 04:07 PM

Please give me your email address for the official installation instructions for the full kit. It is on Word.

Its a simple procedure,just make sure that there are no gapping when you mount it to the bumper. If there is any gapping, the bumper will vibrate and cause additional stress on the lip, thus causing the cracking.

shaneotool 07-09-2003 05:09 PM

thanks 1200tt!

you have pm

React3 07-09-2003 06:39 PM

damn that sucks I just returned the kit for a refund....:mad:

But would still like those instructions abekas@verizon.net

shaneotool 07-10-2003 05:17 AM

Here's basically what the instructions say -

"use the screws under the front bumper to attach the lip"

seriously, it's a joke. No steps, pictures or anything useful.

1200tt - thanks for sending it to me though, at least I know I'm not missing out on anything really helpful.

toykilla 07-10-2003 06:12 AM

Originally posted by 1200tt
Most of the information was found on this board of people complaining. So the response on this board is what caused Veilside to take action to make sure all thier customers are satisfied with their purchase.

Unfortunatly repainting and reinstallation will not be paid for.

wow a company actually responding to our message board.... too bad nissan doesnt seem to care what goes on here

fdao 07-10-2003 10:33 AM

Originally posted by shaneotool
Here's basically what the instructions say -

"use the screws under the front bumper to attach the lip"

seriously, it's a joke. No steps, pictures or anything useful.

1200tt - thanks for sending it to me though, at least I know I'm not missing out on anything really helpful.

Dang :icon8: .

1200tt 07-10-2003 12:08 PM

The problem has now been properly identified.

A new instruction manual will be made in more detail.
What Veilside found, was when mounting the part to the car, the part has to go on very carefully. It is a very tight fit around the corner by the front wheel, but if the part was ever forced on, then it may have caused damage at the time of installation, thus over time, the damage worsens. So make sure it's not forced.

So basically it boils down to inexperience in mounting.
What is being done on the part is, the area in front of the front wheel is being shaved a couple of mm so that when the front lip is being pushed up for installation, it will not hit the factory bumper when mounting.
(to explain the cause for damage in installation it's difficult, but here goes: on the back of the lip there are is an area that cups the factory bumper. The area in front of the wheel, the VS lip extends upwards. kinda like an L shape. When the lip is being angled on as such:
L (bumper)
V (lip)
it can cause it to break when one part of the lip is already hitting the bumper. The lip has to mount directly upward. Which is not an easy task considering the front mouth area sandwiches the front bumper.

Although many of the problems have been caused by improper installation
Veilside is still willing to exchange the lip, with a revised lip. (that shipment will arrive in August)

The new instruction manual is being made in japan as i type this. I should have it translated by Monday.

shaneotool 07-10-2003 03:33 PM

Aww man..

you got me worried now, I'm gonna try to put mine on in about an hour. I guess if I break it I can swap it out for the new and inproved version.

wish me luck;)

LS350Z 07-10-2003 04:18 PM

wow - just when I was begining to hate veliside for some other experiences (not my own, I never trusted them enough to put parts on my car) you guys go and do this. I have to say this does change my opinions some. I'm a sucker for great customer service because most companies are not consumer driven, just profit driven (in a way they all are but that doesn't mean companies can forget who the 'boss' really is).

Keep up the great consumer driven work!

shaneotool 07-10-2003 04:57 PM

FUK that LIP!

I don't see how it is possible to get that thing on without it cracking. It's just too tight - with that "L" shape at the wheel, it's dman near impossible to get it to fit.

It cracked at the wheel well on both sides where 1200tt said it would. I got it on, but the bolt holes don't come close to lining up, and I don't think I can get it off without ripping it to shreads.

this sucks:mad:

MY350Z.COM 07-10-2003 06:04 PM

Originally posted by toykilla
wow a company actually responding to our message board.... too bad nissan doesnt seem to care what goes on here
ditto

350ZMatt 07-10-2003 06:15 PM

Hey Ray,

My friend with the full veilside version 3 kit has already contacted veislide about his 3-time cracked kit! he is currently in korea/japan on vacation and I am sure he would like to participate in this thread. Please reserve some slack for him since he is away. He is very unhappy with the kit and his ownership experience.

He told me he is to the point of hating his 350Z!

So please help this guy out.

His name on this board is "micky"

his veilside ver 3 disaster

1200tt 07-11-2003 10:32 AM

Matt,

i will take a consider it. However the damage seems to stem, not from installation, but from damage caused by driving.

I too have a fiberglass bumper on my car, and have had to deal with chips. My car too is low, and i have to drive through roads that are under construction (lots of gravel, and bumps) Its the nature of the parts, no matter whom makes it. The reason being is the material is not dense like metal, so it will chip.
I'm getting a custom clear bra made for my car.

350ZMatt 07-11-2003 10:37 AM

His is def not from driving. the front bumper is too tight! and the mounting point of the front headlight is right onto the fiberglass of the veilside version 3.

It's not my car so I will let him deal with it when he gets back. just trying to help him out.

Red6 07-11-2003 04:32 PM

I have to say too Im very dissipointed by the Veilside kit, and the version 1 wing.

I have the full Version 1 kit plus the version 1 carbon fiber wing. They both have already been painted and installed twice. This is because of the cracking of the Veilside front/rear, and the warped wing.

After first install the front corners of the carbon fiber lip cracked, and so did the corners of the rear under wing. I had it repaired, and to my dissipointment the cracks are back.

Well I had a problem too with the wing. I found out after second install that the Version 1 wing would never mount right, because it is warped. The warping causes some of the 3m tape to not adhese to the car. Because it cannot adhese right the wing rattles pretty bad, and is lifted on one side of the hatch.

The carbon fiber peice on the mid part of the wing is also a dissapointment. This piece is very thin (see through), bows, and bouces when driving (even at very low speeds). It really has no funtion at all.

I bought the kit because Veilside is known for their quality of their kits. The Version 1 kit was a expensive lip kit; after two installations, the puchase of the kit, and wing I have spent around 3100 bucks. That is way too much for something that is admitted by Veilside to be flawed.

On my last car a 2000 celica I had a Kaminari kit with a carbon fiber race wing. I have to say hands down that the kit was twice the quaility of the Veilside. I had the Kaminari kit on my celica for 2 1/2 years and had no issues with it.

The Kaminari fiberglass was thick and did not spyder crack from install, normal driving, or scrapping unlike Veilsides front, and rear.

Also the carbon fiber on the Kaminari race wing was top notch, and was soild and fuctionable. It was not like the flimsy see through carbon fiber that Veilside produces.

Every Veilside kit I have seen has these same flaws the cracking in the front lip, and rear underwing. I seen these flaws in person on all the Veilside kits in the show scene here in Southern California.

I recently saw them at HIN long beach on Big Black Track car, mine, and the Silverstone Veilside Z at the Nissan booth. All had cracking from stress on the front, and rear.

Its a shame because the kit looks really nice. It should have been made rigid like other kits on the market. It should be made to aleast handle the conditions of daily driving, paint, and installation.

They should recall this kit, and pay us for our install costs as well. I think they should have tested these kits better, and should have not made the 350Z community the ginniepigs.

fdao 07-11-2003 08:07 PM

Dang :( . I will withold from ordering the lip for now until Veilside fixes the flaw.

Thanks everyone for your review.