Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Navygolf13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Removal

Not saure if this is the right area to post this but I think it fits the best. I am going to be removing aribags from my Z both the passenger and driver side. I was just wondering what is the correct and safest way to do this. Any input on this would help. I searched and couldnt find anything about how to do the removal.

Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i could not in a clear conscious tell you how to do this. plus it is illegal to remove front air bags (if that is what you are taling about) in a street car. look it up yourself or get a service manual to do this. now if it is a pure track car, then yeah i see no reason for an airbag at all.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Navygolf13

We are building a racecar.....that being said, I know that it can be done. Where would I get a service auto manual?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 PM
SpoilsofWar

Its extremely easy. I have done it, and could probably do both sides in about 15 minutes.

The drivers side is cake, just pull the steering wheel.

The passenger's side airbag is bolted into the dash from the underside, you have to remove the plastic trim piece that is on the underside of the dash, then just remove all those gold colored nuts you will see when you stick your head in the footwell and look up. I cant remember how many there are exactly, but its quite a few. Also there will be two wiring harness connectors on the passenger side airbag IIRC.

Disconnect battery before messing with any of this of course. Bottomline, you dont need any manual to do it, it is self explanitory when you look at it.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Its extremely easy. I have done it, and could probably do both sides in about 15 minutes.

The drivers side is cake, just pull the steering wheel.

The passenger's side airbag is bolted into the dash from the underside, you have to remove the plastic trim piece that is on the underside of the dash, then just remove all those gold colored nuts you will see when you stick your head in the footwell and look up. I cant remember how many there are exactly, but its quite a few. Also there will be two wiring harness connectors on the passenger side airbag IIRC.

Disconnect battery before messing with any of this of course. Bottomline, you dont need any manual to do it, it is self explanitory when you look at it.
Honestly the concern was the airbag blowing....my brother-in-law was in the auto glass industry for a long time and he said he had heard that static electricity could blow them. If there is no battery though I cannot imagine them blowing....as for the driver side, how do they disconnect from the steering wheel? Or will that be self explanatory as well?

By the way thanks for the input....
Old 05-27-2008, 02:50 PM
SpoilsofWar

I wouldn't worry about it... I really think people overestimate the sensitivity of airbags when it comes to accidental deployment.

In any case, I took no special precautions beside disconnecting the battery, and I had no issues.

As for the steering wheel airbag, there are two screws on the underside of the wheel (special torx head IIRC, and they are covered with plastic covers), remove those and you can remove the airbag.

If you have any other specific questions let me know, its been a while since I did it but I pretty much remember the process.