_ink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats awesome!!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Will_Evo
This type of vinyl application would be perfect for a car that is in shows and transported via trailer to the next..but for someone who drives the Z on a daily basis..this is not a good choice. I used to work in a vinyl shop and we did many vehicle wraps mostly commercial but those were prints so when it faded, it was hard to tell due to the colors. Single color vinyl just would not stand up to daily driving especially on the front bumper...IMO go with paint. Vinyl fades, wears, tears and starts to release after about a year causing pieces to come off during washing.

Will_Evo
Interesting.. but I don't think these are your typical vinyl though... It's some quality $hit that either 3M or Lumar came up with in recent years... No one would drop $2K if the company doesn't guarantee at least a year of use....
Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
J rad

thats actually pretty sweet
Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
moforeynolds

nifty! And an obvious use of vinyl that I'm surprised hasn't been attempted till now...

Will_EVO, can you explain what type of shop you worked at? I have done vinyl wraps for vehicle marketing that are driven cross-country, and life expectancy on those is a gauranteed 3 years with the company we worked with (and they said it should last 4-5). Granted we wouldn't have a vehicle with this for more than a year or two tops, but the laminate on the vinyl supposedly protected it quite well. Not to mention, had a good shine Had to be handwashed though, no automatics.

BTW, $2000 is pretty reasonable. Custom wraps that I would put together for vehicles was in the $2500-$4000 range.

Last edited by moforeynolds; 07-15-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:15 PM
haeshik

sickness and if i had the money i would do it
Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Will_Evo

Originally Posted by moforeynolds
nifty! And an obvious use of vinyl that I'm surprised hasn't been attempted till now...

Will_EVO, can you explain what type of shop you worked at? I have done vinyl wraps for vehicle marketing that are driven cross-country, and life expectancy on those is a gauranteed 3 years with the company we worked with (and they said it should last 4-5). Granted we wouldn't have a vehicle with this for more than a year or two tops, but the laminate on the vinyl supposedly protected it quite well. Not to mention, had a good shine Had to be handwashed though, no automatics.

BTW, $2000 is pretty reasonable. Custom wraps that I would put together for vehicles was in the $2500-$4000 range.

I worked in a commercial shop as well. We did everything from small advertisement signs, full vehicle wraps, to wrapping box trucks. The thing you have to remember...is that when you "wrap" it is a printed vinyl. Yes they are usually good for about a 1-3 years for just staying on the vehicle/general upkeep. BUT we did not cover what road damage/washing damage was caused on the wrap..because even with a good laminate your still going to get surface scratches and chips/tears when a small rock or big bug hits the vinyl at 70mph. Now the reason wraps don't show this wear as much as single color vinyl is just that..its colorful. About the fading..yes you are right with a good laminate the affects of the sun won't be visible for at least 2-3 years.

A single color wrap would be visibly scratched in no longer than 6 months and have at least one tear in the front bumper. It is possible that 3M came out with a vinyl specifically for this application..but I can't imagine it being much better than a normal performance vinyl. You can only go so thick and durable on a vinyl until it gets to a point where installing it is impossible. Getting around corners on vehicles..even just a small one usually requires a heat gun and one or two sticks to get it right, and that is with a print vinyl made specifically for it.

IMO a wrap is a good moving advertisement, not a color change on a performance car.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:37 PM
moforeynolds

Now the reason wraps don't show this wear as much as single color vinyl is just that..its colorful.
That's a good point.

We usually were doing this in the $2500-$4000 range; is that similiar pricing for your company?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Will_Evo

I do not work there anymore but yea thats what it normally ran. Some jobs were more expensive mainly because of their size. We actually wrapped the front of a roller coaster in Busch Gardens in Tampa. Coaster is called sheikra(Might be a bad spell). That was a cool one.

Will_Evo
Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This would never last with me. The commute up the 405 would have this chippped off in 6 months.

But to each his own..
Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
GXCLUSIV
Gymrats G35 TT

Flat black GTR does look sick!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice invention, maybe I'll do that to my little hatchi? Dang, though.....$2k, that's more than a paint job for my small car.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 PM
killa.beez33

Originally Posted by waizzz
This would never last with me. The commute up the 405 would have this chippped off in 6 months.

But to each his own..
It may work out as kind of a rockchip protector like the clear bra if thick enough.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 AM
haeshik

^uh we don't want it to be "rockchip protector" being that its so expensive and looks too good to be damaged from debris. thats what clear bras are for.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
350z_Z33

Wow looks great!! i'd change the color evrymonth!!

If it was cheaper of course!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM
turismo

Wow, that GTR is insane!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:14 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
Wait, I just noticed that some of the cars are right handed drive... This film technology came from Germany...
Is there any shop in US that does this?
I got a couple of flyers handed to me at H.I.N. in New York showing this stuff but I didnt know what it was up until now, the location of the place is somewhere in New Jersey
Old 07-17-2008, 06:24 PM
azula

I do not work there anymore but yea thats what it normally ran. Some jobs were more expensive mainly because of their size. We actually wrapped the front of a roller coaster in Busch Gardens in Tampa. Coaster is called sheikra(Might be a bad spell). That was a cool one.

Will_Evo

sheikra is the sh*t, i'm going there next weekend! lol
Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 PM
azula

i really like this idea too, and 2k is reasonable considering the labor...my custom bra for my bumper was $380 by itself.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet.

Last time I was in S Korea, I picked up that black seems to be the "high class" color. The film color changing is kinda neat. It protects your paint, and can give you a different look at the same time.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Ivory

Usually Mafias in Asia uses black. when you see a fleet of MBs in black, you know whats up.

Sure it costs $2000 for the wrap, but you get the fresh stock paint back for free.

Quick Reply: Change your ride's color with films