Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asuka CF Hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:10 AM
Darkest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asuka CF Hood

Hello all, I recently purchased an Asuka CF hood and was looking at my options for hood pins. Yes yes, I have used the search button...so please don't be to hard on me. I was curious if anyone has some pictures with an Asuka CF hood with hood pins + cables. I know this is more for a muscle car, but was curious if it has been done.
Thanks, D
Old 11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Darkest

bump
Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

No reason to use hood pins on that hood. Look at mine....

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 AM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, you don't need hood pins unless you want it for looks, but it is safer. When you install your hood, use the OEM hood rubber bumps and adjust the height by loosening or tightening it so that there is absolutely no play. I have a CF hood (same as yours )and when I close my hood, I have to really press down on the hood so that it sits locked very tight. That way when I drive on the freeway the wind doesn't make the hood shake, rattle, move, whathaveyou. If its not locked down and the wind permits it to wave with motion, that's not good and that's where hood pins come in handy.

In a nut shell, if no hood bumpers= use hood pins; if you have, adjust it so that there's no play and tight fitted and you'll be alright.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
djnc

Originally Posted by finalforce
I have a CF hood (same as yours )and when I close my hood, I have to really press down on the hood so that it sits locked very tight.
+1
Old 11-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Darkest

Alright, thanks for the help! I'm really excited about getting my hood. Should arrive a week from today....Another quick question, what did you guys do about protecting your internals with the vents? I've seen some people use mesh you can buy from local stores, but that isn't a great way to protect it from rain and what not. Any suggestions?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Darkest

bump
Old 11-04-2008, 11:58 AM
madpanda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You always run the risk of water with vented hoods, and you only have a few options.

1. Fab up a rain gut.
2. seal the vents which make having the hood pointless.
3. Don't run the hood.

Take your pick.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
djnc

Originally Posted by madpanda
You always run the risk of water with vented hoods, and you only have a few options.

1. Fab up a rain gut.
2. seal the vents which make having the hood pointless.
3. Don't run the hood.

Take your pick.
4. use a CAI

i have had zero problems with water and i drive in the rain all the time
Old 11-04-2008, 12:24 PM
finalforce

Vented hoods will have issues mostly when the car is not in motion. When you are driving very minimal water will enter. I myself haven't had any issues, just be careful at carwashes or when you wash your car. There will be times however, when you can't do much when your parked or at a stop light when it rains.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Cannysage

I would like to know some options myself. sparco and mr. gasket are pretty popular, but would like to know more option. Locks is a must. those of you who thinks that hoodpins aren't important can't be anymore wrong.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM
finalforce

Originally Posted by Cannysage
Locks is a must. those of you who thinks that hoodpins aren't important can't be anymore wrong.
Sorry to break it to you, but if you don't know what you're doing and install a hood improperly then yes, you need the hood pins. Otherwise, adjust your latch properly so it engages and locks securely to its full extent, adjust the rubber hood bumpers accordingly so that there is absolutely no play.

A lot of people make the mistake and assume they need hood pins because it seems practical, but if you just take the time and simple steps necessary to secure your hood properly.....trust me, you're hood will be safe. I know a handful of reputable people on this forum and others, who are not running hood pins.

Before I drove my car on the freeway I was very observant if I had any play on the hood from motion and wind, but because I secured it so tight, I had absolutely no problems and taking it to higher speeds didn't change the outcome.

/thread.....
Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Cannysage

Sorry to break it to you, but if you don't know what you're doing and install a hood improperly then yes, you need the hood pins. Otherwise, adjust your latch properly so it engages and locks securely to its full extent, adjust the rubber hood bumpers accordingly so that there is absolutely no play.

A lot of people make the mistake and assume they need hood pins because it seems practical, but if you just take the time and simple steps necessary to secure your hood properly.....trust me, you're hood will be safe. I know a handful of reputable people on this forum and others, who are not running hood pins.

Before I drove my car on the freeway I was very observant if I had any play on the hood from motion and wind, but because I secured it so tight, I had absolutely no problems and taking it to higher speeds didn't change the outcome.

/thread.....
umm.... no. hoodpins are strongly recommended. don't recommend to people that they're not important because you're giving people a bad advice.

Last edited by Cannysage; 11-04-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 AM
finalforce

Thumbs down

umm.... no. hoodpins are strongly recommended. don't recommend to people that they're not important because you're giving people a bad advice.

Recommend? Where in any of my posts on this thread have I put the word "recommend?" Safe? Yes, safe to have it. Need? No you don't need it, as long as you install it properly. Scroll up a bit and notice I didn't edit a single reply on this thread to justify my response.

I speak the TRUTH from a lot of experience, if the TRUTH is "bad advice", then be on your way. Then again, I'm sure you gonna come back with some sort retort
Old 11-05-2008, 08:52 AM
madpanda

^I think he's saying that it's recommended for extra precaution. You know just in case for the peeps that want that extra feeling of security.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
ParanoidAndroid

or hes got his head stuck too far up his ***.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 AM
finalforce

Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
or hes got his head stuck too far up his ***.

Me? I'm here to "help" and "guide" people that need it. I answered all PM's regarding this thread in a friendly and timely manner. You chime in with that type remark, contributing to this thread with absolutely no helpful thought. Now I'm the ***? Unless you have something useful to say, go away troll

Guys I'm here to help, not to start issues. Why all the hostility?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Darkest

Finalforce has been nothing but helpful to me. Anyone that thinks he's acting like an "***" is greatly mistaken. Finalforce, I thank you for all the advice you've given me and i'll put it to good use. For all the trolls, gtfo.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Cannysage

Me? I'm here to "help" and "guide" people that need it. I answered all PM's regarding this thread in a friendly and timely manner. You chime in with that type remark, contributing to this thread with absolutely no helpful thought. Now I'm the ***? Unless you have something useful to say, go away troll

Guys I'm here to help, not to start issues. Why all the hostility?
he could've been referring to me, but either way, I agree.. he's a lame *** troll with an inappropriate comment.
I've seen at least 5 threads over the years about CF hoods flying open on the freeways... and they all thought it was totally secured. I personally would never drive without it but that's just me and my 2 pesos.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I personally would never drive without it but that's just me and my 2 pesos.

hood pins on a fiberglass/carbon hood is a must. I would never trust one without them

Quick Reply: Asuka CF Hood