Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
zix07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Help

I intend on running a seibon vsII cf hood, seibon cf fenders, and a one off c west cf front bumper, now can you guys lend me some useful tips on how to keep it from fading and stay looking good.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Zero350z

extra clear coates for the fading
Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
zix07

Is seibon clear coated or gel coated?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Zero350z

i believe clear coat but dont take my word for it, wait for some other people to answer
Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
idrmofs7

seibon is clear coated, add good clear coat to keep from fading.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you really getting a "one off c west cf front bumper", or are you getting the CF replica? If you are getting a one off authentic, where so?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
zix07

sry dude its a c west cf replica i have not found a true authentic cf front bumper like that but i could be wrong
Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Seibon rear wing and the stories of yellowing are quite true. You'll definitely want to get a VERY good quality clearcoat if you want to keep it clear.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Done Deal DR

Originally Posted by zix07
sry dude its a c west cf replica i have not found a true authentic cf front bumper like that but i could be wrong
Yeah, no that makes sense. I've been studying the C-West catalog over the the past 2 years or so and have never once heard of an authentic CF C-West front bumper, or even a one off like what Andy with Performance had done through INGS with his Type-E kit, so I sort of figured it was the replica. I know of at least 1 company making a carbon fiber replica of the regular C-West front (Carbon Creations), but I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Be careful calling stuff "one off" that really isn't one off, some people may take offense to that, know what I mean? Makes you sound like Modified350z.

Reference these if you are not familiar with Modified350z:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/287495
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...st-is-o-k.html
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...ified350z.html

Don't get me wrong, it's nowhere near that level. Just saying be careful. It's a fine line.

edit: forgot to mention Modified350z just won douchebag of the year (2008). LOL

Last edited by Done Deal DR; 01-19-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 PM
idrmofs7

^^ where the hell was i durring all this!? thats funny!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

2 coats of UV clear and then some good clear coat on top, to top it all. You should be fine. Thats What I use when I work with carbon fiber. 2 coats of UV and 3 coats of clear. never had a problem with yellow fading and sun.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 PM
zix07

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
Yeah, no that makes sense. I've been studying the C-West catalog over the the past 2 years or so and have never once heard of an authentic CF C-West front bumper, or even a one off like what Andy with Performance had done through INGS with his Type-E kit, so I sort of figured it was the replica. I know of at least 1 company making a carbon fiber replica of the regular C-West front (Carbon Creations), but I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Be careful calling stuff "one off" that really isn't one off, some people may take offense to that, know what I mean? Makes you sound like Modified350z.

Reference these if you are not familiar with Modified350z:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/287495
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...st-is-o-k.html
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...ified350z.html

Don't get me wrong, it's nowhere near that level. Just saying be careful. It's a fine line.

edit: forgot to mention Modified350z just won douchebag of the year (2008). LOL
Lmao sorry then my mistake but that is actually the bumper im getting lol and just out of curiousity why wouldn't you touch it with a ten foot pole? i believe a member on here is running it on a full cf Z. IDK though
Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Mr. CF

HAHA this guy(modified 350Z) won douchebag of the year 2008 i believe, lost track of that poll but pretty sure he was in the lead for such action and self praise

ON TOPIC

Seibon is clear coated i've had my hood and hatch for 2 years and shows NO sign of fading whatsoever its pretty FTW as far as the CWEST Front bumper I've never found anything authentic only replicas, if you do PLEASE LET ME KNOW
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM
zix07

Originally Posted by Mr. CF
HAHA this guy(modified 350Z) won douchebag of the year 2008 i believe, lost track of that poll but pretty sure he was in the lead for such action and self praise

ON TOPIC

Seibon is clear coated i've had my hood and hatch for 2 years and shows NO sign of fading whatsoever its pretty FTW as far as the CWEST Front bumper I've never found anything authentic only replicas, if you do PLEASE LET ME KNOW
Well I should be getting everything about the end of february so Ill let you guys know if its worth it, the bumper is a replica and its made by carbon creations and it runs for about $650-$750 and it has a UV coating on it so its still a bit pricey but if its good then its money well spent.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
idrmofs7

^^ i had 0 problems with my CC front c west replica bumper, sideskirts-- way off! just reclear all ur CF b4 they yellow! safe insurance, and ive NEVER had any of my CF parts yellow! and ive owned more than anyone on this forum!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 PM
zix07

^^^^ Thank god man i was waiting for you to chime in lol I seen your car before and I referred to you, lmao but otherwise sounds good and now I have the body shop do that upon install correct? and judging by your front end set up its giving a good idea what mine is going to look like.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Done Deal DR

Lmao sorry then my mistake but that is actually the bumper im getting lol and just out of curiousity why wouldn't you touch it with a ten foot pole? i believe a member on here is running it on a full cf Z. IDK though
I just don't personally run replica parts is all. It's been very appealing at moments, but I've held off and stood my ground.

The fitment on the front bumper looks pretty good from pictures I've seen of the CC FRP and CF versions looks good, and I hadn't heard anything negative about the replica side skirts until now (idrmofs7). I think it should look good though, I was tossed between the regular C-West bumper and the E-Type Long Nose kit for a long time. In the end it boiled down to a couple things, not wanting so many "vents" on my front bumper and getting a E-Type front for a good deal.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 AM
NightRider88

Does anyone know if asuka is clear coated or gel coated..????or coated with any UV protection???
Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 AM
zix07

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
I just don't personally run replica parts is all. It's been very appealing at moments, but I've held off and stood my ground.

The fitment on the front bumper looks pretty good from pictures I've seen of the CC FRP and CF versions looks good, and I hadn't heard anything negative about the replica side skirts until now (idrmofs7). I think it should look good though, I was tossed between the regular C-West bumper and the E-Type Long Nose kit for a long time. In the end it boiled down to a couple things, not wanting so many "vents" on my front bumper and getting a E-Type front for a good deal.

LMAO same here man I was stuck between the 2 myself, in the end it came down to this style due to the fact I live in NYC and everywhere I go a long nose would be hell, but once I decided on style I learned that a replica was made in cf and since the Z's are nose heavy I figured to try and convert the front end to cf and see If that balances out anything lol. I already ripped my trunk apart and have to get a light weight battery I know i can rip out the stereo and ac but thats a little tooo much for me lol. Cuz once the spring rolls around I'll be on the track alot, see once I order this Carbon fiber stuff I'll be ordering a clutch, enkei rpf01's all around, nitto tires, and a short shifter to add on to what I got, probably throw a splitter and canards as well and an apr adjustable wing and run it low to keep from the vader remarks on here when i post up pics lol
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Done Deal DR

LMAO same here man I was stuck between the 2 myself, in the end it came down to this style due to the fact I live in NYC and everywhere I go a long nose would be hell, but once I decided on style I learned that a replica was made in cf and since the Z's are nose heavy I figured to try and convert the front end to cf and see If that balances out anything lol. I already ripped my trunk apart and have to get a light weight battery I know i can rip out the stereo and ac but thats a little tooo much for me lol. Cuz once the spring rolls around I'll be on the track alot, see once I order this Carbon fiber stuff I'll be ordering a clutch, enkei rpf01's all around, nitto tires, and a short shifter to add on to what I got, probably throw a splitter and canards as well and an apr adjustable wing and run it low to keep from the vader remarks on here when i post up pics lol
I fought with myself over the same thing, in the end I don't DD my Z and I think I can make the extra length of the bumper work for me. Something to consider, I'm willing to guarantee there is no noticeable difference in weight between the CF and FRP versions of this bumper made by Carbon Creations. Another thing to think about is that the CF will be brittle. While CF can be strong, the wet-type CF they use on these bumpers will crack easily. Once cracked, you will have to paint it anyways to repair. A lot of FRP parts these days will offer a lot more flexibility and will probably hold up better. Get the CF front if you want to look like a baller, because it's surely not going to do absolutely anything else for you, guaranteed.

Get a trickle charger if you get a lightweight battery, otherwise you will hate life. You can quote me on that.

I'm a big fan of the Enkei RPF1's, great choice! Once I get the entire kit fitted, I will be looking into a set of lightweight 18" or 19"s depending on what kind of ride height I need. Cheston's Z has 18"s with the same front and sides and it's quite low, so we'll see.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Help