Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ferrari style shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 02:14 PM
steig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ferrari style shifter

does anyone know if there is a kit to remove the shift boot and replace it with a machined piece of aluminum and then have a chrome shif **** and base? Something like what ferrari or lamberginis have ? Or is there a person whom can make this kit?

steig
Old 09-08-2003, 02:19 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ferrari style shifter

Originally posted by steig
does anyone know if there is a kit to remove the shift boot and replace it with a machined piece of aluminum and then have a chrome shif **** and base? Something like what ferrari or lamberginis have ? Or is there a person whom can make this kit?

steig
I'm unaware of any available kit but the project doesn't seem that difficult. You know anyone who works with metal welding/cutting/ etc..?

The piece of aluminum is probably an easy thing to measure as long as it doesn't interupt with the throw. You would have to find a chromoly polished stick. That..or you can get some one to polish the upper arm down to the metal. (possibly aluminum brushed?) Then you'd have to find a standard round aluminum shifter to screw on the top.

It's some work...but hey..it seems VERY possible!
Old 09-08-2003, 05:32 PM
steig

i know a welder who is able to weld aluminum. I think the main problem would be getting the slot dimensions for the aluminum plate. If you had those it could be easily sent out to a machine shop and the cost would not be very high.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:41 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wadd3456 can do this, make sure you measure the clearance correctly so you have clearance to move the shifter smoothly without interruption.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Uber' 350

chrome **** = is 300 shift ****
and make sure the welded peice doenst interrupt with the throws, might be hard but good R&D is the best way. let me know how the final product ends up if it ever happens. i thought about this to but to much for me right now.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:52 PM
pinnacleliquid

Originally posted by steig
i know a welder who is able to weld aluminum. I think the main problem would be getting the slot dimensions for the aluminum plate. If you had those it could be easily sent out to a machine shop and the cost would not be very high.
Yup. considered that after I looked into making just a ring for the shifter. The costs go up as you make it prettier though. Probably only 5 or 6 bucks for a 1/4" plate. Then the Z logo. shift pattern, polishing, You could use a chrome tube to slip over the shifter. It gets into bucks as you go on. But I liked the idea.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:01 PM
IwantaZtoo

Use a thick paper or cardboard first .... after you make sure the shifter doesn't hit the board when shifting, then bring it to the fabricator
Old 09-08-2003, 09:20 PM
pinnacleliquid

Default And....

Not to bore anybody here but.... On the Ferrari and other cars that use a gated shifter, the plate is mounted on the shifter tower which avoids shift throw alignment problems. The finishing panels of the Z mount to the sheet metal independently of where the shifter is. So there may be different measurements fron Z to shining Z. A way around this bugger is to mount the plate under the shifter housing. The plate will have elongated holes to allow it to float and correct positioning in relation to the shifter movement. But I haven't seen the top of the shifter tower of the Z so I could be fullacrap. My .02 dollars.

Last edited by pinnacleliquid; 09-08-2003 at 09:24 PM.