Sponsored by:

Looking to repaint... the whole car

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
dyss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to repaint... the whole car

Hey fellas,

im looking to get a new paint job for the car. i wanna get some sort of red.. havn't decided which red yet though..

for those of you who have done a full repaint, how much did you spend?

for those of you who already know what the average is, that would be good too.

UPDATE: Definitely feeling Nogaro!

Last edited by dyss; 03-08-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3000-3500 should be a base price for a over all over paint job not inluding under the engine. A good should should take off the doors, fenders, all bumpers and skirts, hood, and trunk.

if i was getting a paint job, i would be saving aro und 5k to do it properly with them taking off ALL interior panels as well.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dyss
Hey fellas,

im looking to get a new paint job for the car. i wanna get some sort of red.. havn't decided which red yet though..

for those of you who have done a full repaint, how much did you spend?

for those of you who already know what the average is, that would be good too.

UPDATE: Definitely feeling Nogaro!

You're not going to get any truly meaningful answers - prices can, and will be all over the place. It's sort of like asking "I want to eat lunch today, can you tell me what you guys paid for your lunch"? The details are what will determine it.

Visit local area shops, get details on the materials they are using (these vary widely), and you'll be able to calculate an average that actually means something to you
Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
jdhuegel1

+1

But, just for reference my car is in the shop for new paint and I'm paying 4500.00. That is only for the exterior. I'm staying with the factory color so there was no need to paint the engine bay and/or doorjams. They are removing bumpers, sideskirts, rolling fenders, painting the doorhandles and shaving emblems though.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
+1

But, just for reference my car is in the shop for new paint and I'm paying 4500.00. That is only for the exterior. I'm staying with the factory color so there was no need to paint the engine bay and/or doorjams. They are removing bumpers, sideskirts, rolling fenders, painting the doorhandles and shaving emblems though.
$4500 for just exterior touch ups of the same color? Ouch... I wouldn't have paid more than $2k for that.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
jdhuegel1

Originally Posted by mcarther101
$4500 for just exterior touch ups of the same color? Ouch... I wouldn't have paid more than $2k for that.

Someone else told me that and I laughed. I owned a body shop... if someone were to come at me looking to spray a whole car for 2K, I'd have pointed them in the other direction.

This isn't just a touch up... This includes prepping and painting my Aerosync bumper, central 20 sides, Stillen wing and rear skirt, and respraying the whole car (including the aforementioned stuff...). 4500 is kind of cheap; but I got a deal because the same guy painted my RX7.

I wish I would have held on to some of my guns and whatnot... I could have done this in my garage. BUT... I guess this is easier for me since it would take months to complete it on my own, since I have little/no free time.

If you're going to paint a car... and do it right, you should be ready to pay over 5K.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
dyss

Adam, i get what your sayin about the range of prices, and i agree. im just trying to get in the ballpark area and im so far lookin at 3500-5k. im just trying to do the homework the best i can with what limited resources i have while in Afghan (boo).

but the input so far has been helpful. thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear ya - best thing to do is go to your regional section and get some recommendations on shops people have used and been happy with. Probably pays to visit other forums and see what other car owners have to say too. Narrow it down to 3-5 places, and contact them with your specific needs, and get all the details, and go from there. Good luck and get back safely!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
dyss

alright sounds good, thanks