Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underbody lights coincide with interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM
cheneymatthews

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underbody lights coincide with interior

Bought a new underbody LED kit that will turn on when power signal is applied rather than requiring a manual push button on/off.

Wired it to the dome supervision wire for the "fade" effect and so that the car gets that underglow ambience when unlocking doors with remote.

One problem... I tried it once, interior lit up with underbody leds for about 4 seconds then poof.. blew the fuse?! Thought it might happen due to the low voltage/current for the dome, but I'm not sure how to get around it and preserve the same "fade" effect and remote door unlock light-up? Obviously hooking the kit to the door pins won't preserve the effect desired.

Any ideas? Put in a bigger fuse a good/bad idea?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Not my cup of tea, but its your car.

Try using a relay so that your dome lights trigger it, while the power side comes from your battery. Not sure if you will have the fade effect, but its easy to try and it might work.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Get_Zwole

as long as you dont have them on all the time i think it could look pretty cool.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
as long as you dont have them i think it could look pretty cool.
Fixed.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Silkfiveseven

personally i like the look of underbody lights.
i was thinking of having it flash when i unlock my car or something =). just one quick flash.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For it to light up when you open the door & fade out would be sick! I am not a fan of underglow AT ALL but I think that would be a nice addition.

cheneymatthews, the one thing I like about you is you take all the crap for doing horrible mods yet you keep at your goals & try to improve upon them, such as your revised LED headlights. Keep it up!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
as long as you dont have them i think it could look pretty cool.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Originally Posted by Chebosto
Fixed.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM
JDMZ33
Vendor - Former Vendor

Your underlight kit must takes some power. Usually LED lights don't. Here is our kit.

http://www.evo-r.net/product/GLED
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cheneymatthews
Bought a new underbody LED kit that will turn on when power signal is applied rather than requiring a manual push button on/off.

Wired it to the dome supervision wire for the "fade" effect and so that the car gets that underglow ambience when unlocking doors with remote.

One problem... I tried it once, interior lit up with underbody leds for about 4 seconds then poof.. blew the fuse?! Thought it might happen due to the low voltage/current for the dome, but I'm not sure how to get around it and preserve the same "fade" effect and remote door unlock light-up? Obviously hooking the kit to the door pins won't preserve the effect desired.

Any ideas? Put in a bigger fuse a good/bad idea?
Originally Posted by cheneymatthews
So to many Z owners chagrin I installed a underbody LED kit. [insert barrage of negative opinions and rice mockery] My intentions were to have this illuminate when you press the door unlock/lock button on the remote, then fade off like the interior lights. So even though I wired the kit utilizing the dome supervision wire, the LED kits out there all require the on button to be pressed to activate the module. So the kit comes on... but you still have to be close enough to use the LED remote control to turn ON the lights. Anyone know how to bypass the on/off module requirement, so I can wire it to illuminate based on power supply versus the on/off switch?!?! I'd post pics... but with all the negativity on this forum.. I'll pass.

Quit ricing out the car.

Buy a Civic, then do whatever the hell you want with it.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by Chebosto
Fixed.
lol if it looks anything like the kit posted then you are def. correct lol.
i dont think it would look too bad for white lights to come on under the car only when unlocking and locking? If they stay on all the time it would be uber ghey.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
xedes

Now that I no longer own a Z, I say do it!!! That would be so badazz!!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
juju

Originally Posted by JDMZ33

Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hmm... in for pics, could be nice or rice IMO
Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 PM
JMSpeed

Why does Spork have such free reign to be so useless in half the threads I read? Be constructive or GTFO. No one wants your .02 on every matter.

OP - I thought about adding a single LED in the side mirrors facing down to light the ground. Fades out just like you said. I'm not electrically inclined enough for that but I know a lot of factory cars use this as a safety feature. Would look OEM if done right.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Spork

Originally Posted by JMSpeed
Why does Spork have such free reign to be so useless in half the threads I read? Be constructive or GTFO. No one wants your .02 on every matter.

Here you go, lady.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
juju

This is why.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
JMSpeed

it's funny... he comes in here calling LED lights rice after updating his fake-carbon fiber wrap thread lol. can you say hypocrite?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Spork

Actually, it was before updating my thread, thank you.

Covering up a beat up center console is a plenty good reason to wrap it, aye? What are you reconditioning by putting fruity LEDs all over it? All it does is make you look like a young Fast&Furious f@ggot.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork

Covering up a beat up center console is a plenty good reason to wrap it, aye? What are you reconditioning by putting fruity LEDs all over it? All it does is make you look like a young Fast&Furious f@ggot.

Ive got to agree with Spork on this.
My center is alittle scratched up as well and im thinking of doing the same, most likely with fake cf.

This, however, cannot ever even closely be compaired with putting LED lights under the car. It's your car man, but i suggest you start treating it more like an exotic sports car and less like a Honda civic, and you will get more from it i promise you. This car was built to be a step or 2 above your civics, lancers, eclipses, etc.

This is by no means a cheap sports car, so do yourself a favor and dont make it look as such. But again, different strokes for different folks. I say all of this just to help, and i have a feeling one way or the other, whether it takes you being laughed by the REAL car enthusiasts (not carlos and the boys who meet to show cars with $500 in mods in the Petsmart parking lot), or just realizing for yourself, you will come around and take them off, this i promise you.

We have plenty of folks that do crap like that here in Houston. In fact, i saw the most horrible Z last Sat night with a huge spoiler, jap writing all over it in the form of cheap stickers and werent even related to autoparts, and primered grey or something with those underbody lights all over it. It was a huge black dude so i refrained from slapping the chit outta him, but it broke my heart to see such a beautiful car reduced to rice in its lowest form.

Think about this long and hard...do you want to be "that guy"?

BTW, that Z above with LEDs looks like they jacked the turbines from an A-10 Warthog's rear engines and threw them on as wheels.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 06-10-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Cali-Darkness
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JDMZ33
Your underlight kit must takes some power. Usually LED lights don't. Here is our kit.

http://www.evo-r.net/product/GLED

Originally Posted by Spork

+1

Quick Reply: Underbody lights coincide with interior