Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50% windshield tint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RMichael
Christ.....I've seen you before....you must be Tomas!

welcome....
Yeah, I got carried away. Sorry about that.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

20% on my 95 240sx....like it or not it was my car.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:59 PM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhays
Daytime driving is not the problem, nor the point. Night drive is the problem. A 50% tint reduces all light transmittance by 50%. This cuts down on the intensity of headlights, which is fine. It also cuts down on the visibility of everything else, including non-illuminated objects.
Yes you are right, it cuts down, but so slightly that it WILL NOT affect your driving. I know this because I dd my Z and drive in it at night almost everyday. Their is absolutely no fact you can throw at me to change experience with it (as you have none) You have made your decision on that with out ever seeing for yourself. Now I wouldnt go to low, because at a certain point you will have problems seeing at night. 50% is just fine.

Originally Posted by T_K
Would you like to put a wager on that with a photosensitive device that measures luminosity?

How about a vision test at your local optometrist while wearing sunglasses of similar darkness?
^^^Yes i would, and your logic in that statement makes no sense. First off good luck finding sunglasses with that light of a shade. Second, when do you ever have to look so far ahead of you that word you read is not but a mm big? Most things you need to see on the word, are not that small at all for a reason.

As said above, when you have real experience with 50% tint, then tell me your opinion, and yes i agree if you go to a lower percentagem eventually it will hinder your vision. 50% is fine

As a matter of fact with all the "just wear sunglasses" statements, if you compare 50% tint, to sunglasses, you will see sunglasses are darker. Therefore, if it is ok to wear sunglasses, then it is more than ok to tint your windshield atleast up to 50%

Last edited by 04fairlazdyz; 12-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhays
Yeah, I got carried away. Sorry about that.
NP, it seems you're into the whole vision thing. I can see how you might over invest in a thread where folk try and beat the system.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
^ That's actually incorrect. I actually could legally keep my windshield tinted if I had my optometrist complete the correct DMV form (I was too lazy to do it). My eyes are actually super sensitive to light, to the point where they tear sometimes from just being in direct sunlight.

The NYS DMV form:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv80w.pdf
well theres always exceptions duh but legally on a normal person to person basis, its not allowed. ive had 8 vehicles in my time, all of them illegally tinted, a few with windshields, and never had an issues, even with my 35%. thats pretty dark for a windshield too, but has never been an issue at night
Old 01-05-2010, 11:35 PM
joefriedrich56

heres what you(and what i did) to get what ever percent tint your little heart desires...

Go to an eye doctor, claim your getting migranes from the sun. If they recommend wearing sunglasses, state that you experiance migranes also at night due to the glare from headlights. explain that you want tints on your car but are afraid of getting a ticket. ask if he could write you a letter stating your medical condition with a letterhead on top.

Ive been pulled over atleast 3 times with 5% all around and 35% on my windshield,and after i showed the letter they just grin and send me on my way ticket free
Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 AM
westpak
SFZCC

A lot depends on the use of the car, I don't drive mine much at night and for the sunny days here in south florida the front tint is great.

Mine is reflective so I went with lighter tint and privacy is just fine with the reflective. I got 65% all around and just fine, they put 35% in the front at first and it was too dark at night.

Only got one ticket and one warning so far after 6 years, the funny thing is that I have been pulled over many times for other things and they have never said anything, the two incidents above where specifically pulled over for the tint.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to bump a old thread, but I am planning on doing this since it's going to be one hell of a summer here in socal..

Does anyone have any night time cockpit pictures? I want to gauge the visiblity at night.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:07 PM
dragnby

Name:  asd.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  19.4 KB

i know the thread is about 50% but just sharing my 2 cents.
5% on the sides and rear....35% on the front.

i can see perfectly day and night with no problems at all...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 PM
dragnby

well, i have to roll down the sides if im backing up at night haha but still, windshield....i can always see fine out of
Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dragnby

i know the thread is about 50% but just sharing my 2 cents.
5% on the sides and rear....35% on the front.

i can see perfectly day and night with no problems at all...
I know this is an old thread and I say this with all due respect, but you are uninformed and delusional.

Tints cut down on night time visibility. That is why they are illegal on the front, and most states have limits as to the transmittance on the side and rear windows. It isn't because legislative bodies don't like tints, it has to do with the laws of optics.

Do what you will of course, but I feel I should let other readers know that what you are saying is simply not true.

For those that want to argue the point, go get a degree in Physiological Optics and then we can talk.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 AM
cmweed

50% is fine for the front windshield, I know because I have it. Most of these people that are saying don't do it have never owned a car with a tinted front windshield and are not speaking from experience. Of course it hinders your overall vision slightly but with 50% the difference is negligible.

If someone has problems driving at night with 50% tint on their windshield then they shouldn't be driving at night in any car.