Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Clarification on Our HIDS/XENONS...!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 12:12 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Some Clarification on Our HIDS/XENONS...!

I am quite surprised that NOT one of you pointed out the fact that we do NOT have "projector-type" setups as headlights! Bur rather "reflector-type". Nissan did a 'COSMETIC' appearance of Projector lenses, but in fact a projector setup is "Entirely Enclosed" within the lens and bulb housing. Go outside and take a GOOD look at your headlamps, and you will indeed notice that the light is being reflected inside the bulb housing and sent through a "half-lens". Like a true projector setup (S2000, Bimmer, Audi) they double as reflectors at night. But clearly written on the lamp cover is "D2R".
Thus, you will *note* that the factory replacement bulb calls for a D2R bulb (reflector) and NOT D2S (projector)
What is the difference between the 2 bulbs you ask?
Simple......The D2R bulbs have a tiny metal strip that relects light from the bulb itself in a certain direction (up or down) whithin the lamp housing. The D2S has no such strip therefore allowing the light to discharge everywhere within the lamp housing.

As shown here:

What have I personally noticed?
My bulbs are VERY different in color! In fact they are identical to what you would see on say an Audi A4, A6, E46 w/ HIDS. Where as the stock bulbs are blue rather than violet/purple.
Is there less light output? IMO.......No! I have sat side-by-side with another 350 at night, and the length of the beam is practically the same. BUT.......! I have considerable more width of light on the pavement! This no doubt is due to the absence of the metal strip on stock bulbs.
I have exceptional vision (not trying to be funny or anything) and can notice the slightest change in lighting at night.
Are my bulbs the BEST out there? Subjective question! I really like them alot, and I would not want to go back. Plus they give me that little something "extra".
The particular bulbs that I have in my 350, are in fact the "True German-Spec" 6000k ULTINONS. *Note the distinct Blue-Purple ceramic bar that runs along side the bulb and the Red Metal Halides in the center of the bulb!*
These are my exact bulbs pictured below:
Attached Thumbnails Some Clarification on Our HIDS/XENONS...!-6000k-ultinon.jpg  

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 11-03-2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:16 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Here is a shot of our stockers (courtesy of Nissan):

And here is what yours trulys' look like:

Old 11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

I would like to change out those sorry-**** "peanut or wedge" bulbs we have!
They are too yellow for me.

Anyone actually install a pair of "HIGH-QUALITY" replacements for these?
Old 11-03-2003, 12:22 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Here you can compare them with my Lexus GS400 stock 4300k (same as in the 350Z).

Old 11-03-2003, 12:23 PM
jran76

Good info, TX.....
Old 11-03-2003, 12:24 PM
toykilla

i noticed this a while back but didnt think much of it
Old 11-03-2003, 02:47 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
I would like to change out those sorry-**** "peanut or wedge" bulbs we have!
They are too yellow for me.

Anyone actually install a pair of "HIGH-QUALITY" replacements for these?
ares has those really nice and bright Luxeon LEDs coming.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:14 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Luxeons...

Here's mine at night:

Last edited by DIGItonium; 02-14-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:32 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Default Re: Luxeons...

Originally posted by djtonium
Here's mine at night:
In the immortal words of Stiffler..........."AWESOME!"

I need those A.S.A.F.P.!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 04:34 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
ares has those really nice and bright Luxeon LEDs coming.

S W E E E E E T!!!

Keep me posted on the exact availability of these.......
Old 11-03-2003, 04:46 PM
iLLestJrz

Originally posted by jran76
Good info, TX.....
Yeah, nice to know. Good info.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:55 AM
old_s13

I am quite surprised that NOT one of you pointed out the fact that we do NOT have "projector-type" setups as headlights! Bur rather "reflector-type". Nissan did a 'COSMETIC' appearance of Projector lenses, but in fact a projector setup is "Entirely Enclosed" within the lens and bulb housing.

I pointed this out yesterday when we were talking about bulb-types, I was mentioned how people SHOULDNT swap from D2R to D2S because the lighting pattern is negatively effected.

The 350Z headlamp is neither projector OR reflector, it is a mix.. its quite obvious that it uses the projector lens in addition to letting light out the side. I wouldnt say that NISSAN cheaped out and I wouldnt say it was done for costmetic reasons, this just happens to be the design that they made for the 350Z.

Anytime the bulb is exposed, D2R bulbs are used to cover up a certain portion of the bulb.. this changes the color of the bulb AND also makes slight changes to the lighting pattern. FYI, the strip is not metal, its high temp paint.

Is there less light output? IMO.......No! I have sat side-by-side with another 350 at night, and the length of the beam is practically the same. BUT.......! I have considerable more width of light on the pavement! This no doubt is due to the absence of the metal strip on stock bulbs.
I have exceptional vision (not trying to be funny or anything) and can notice the slightest change in lighting at night.

Why do you continue to state that higher kelvin capsules do not emit less light? Its a proven fact, the standard white xenon bulbs (~4200k) are the brightest available, period. Anything above that kelvin rating will result in less light. How much less light? Its hard to say without a light meter. I am not saying this to rain on your parade, but do use some common sense.. you simply cannot rely on just your eyes, this is why we have calibrated tools to test and measure values in a controlled environment.

Are my bulbs the BEST out there? Subjective question! I really like them alot, and I would not want to go back. Plus they give me that little something "extra".
The particular bulbs that I have in my 350, are in fact the "True German-Spec" 6000k ULTINONS. *Note the distinct Blue-Purple ceramic bar that runs along side the bulb and the Red Metal Halides in the center of the bulb!*

Your bulbs are not "the best," they are just different. The main benefit and ONLY benefit with using ultinon bulbs is color, they dont emit more light and dont even last as long as normal xenon bulbs. That blue wire is just a ground return wire, its painted fancy blue to impress people. IMO, you have some very pretty imported blue bulbs.

- Mike
Old 11-04-2003, 09:14 AM
abstrakt

he never said his bulbs were the best...he clearly stated that it's up to your own personal feeling...TX thanks for the info
Old 11-04-2003, 09:16 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by old_s13
I am quite surprised that NOT one of you pointed out the fact that we do NOT have "projector-type" setups as headlights! Bur rather "reflector-type". Nissan did a 'COSMETIC' appearance of Projector lenses, but in fact a projector setup is "Entirely Enclosed" within the lens and bulb housing.

I pointed this out yesterday when we were talking about bulb-types, I was mentioned how people SHOULDNT swap from D2R to D2S because the lighting pattern is negatively effected.

The 350Z headlamp is neither projector OR reflector, it is a mix.. its quite obvious that it uses the projector lens in addition to letting light out the side. I wouldnt say that NISSAN cheaped out and I wouldnt say it was done for costmetic reasons, this just happens to be the design that they made for the 350Z.

Anytime the bulb is exposed, D2R bulbs are used to cover up a certain portion of the bulb.. this changes the color of the bulb AND also makes slight changes to the lighting pattern. FYI, the strip is not metal, its high temp paint.

Why do you continue to state that higher kelvin capsules do not emit less light? Its a proven fact, the standard white xenon bulbs (~4200k) are the brightest available, period. Anything above that kelvin rating will result in less light. How much less light? Its hard to say without a light meter. I am not saying this to rain on your parade, but do use some common sense.. you simply cannot rely on just your eyes, this is why we have calibrated tools to test and measure values in a controlled environment.

Your bulbs are not "the best," they are just different. The main benefit and ONLY benefit with using ultinon bulbs is color, they dont emit more light and dont even last as long as normal xenon bulbs. That blue wire is just a ground return wire, its painted fancy blue to impress people. IMO, you have some very pretty imported blue bulbs.

- Mike
Mike. I don't have to "re-clarify" anything I said. I expressed myself in an opionated unobjective way, as I think MOST people would see/agree. You say Nissan created a "mix" I say they tried to be different and keep the cost down on their deign.
You said: Why do you continue to state that higher kelvin capsules do not emit less light?
DID I SAY THAT? I said it "appeared to me".
Just because you don't like/agree with my comments, don't try coming in and contradicting me.
I have stated my "Thoughts & Opinions" and I firmly stick by them. Does that mean I'm saying everyone should run out and buy new bulbs.........Did I say that?
Thank you.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:29 PM
SteveZ

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Mike. I don't have to "re-clarify" anything I said. I expressed myself in an opionated unobjective way, as I think MOST people would see/agree. You say Nissan created a "mix" I say they tried to be different and keep the cost down on their deign.
You said: Why do you continue to state that higher kelvin capsules do not emit less light?
DID I SAY THAT? I said it "appeared to me".
Just because you don't like/agree with my comments, don't try coming in and contradicting me.
I have stated my "Thoughts & Opinions" and I firmly stick by them. Does that mean I'm saying everyone should run out and buy new bulbs.........Did I say that?
Thank you.
Can't even throw my fifty cents worth here but you've got one good-looking Z. Headlights, too!
Steve

p.s. What the heck is a Kel-von Kap-sul?
Oh, nevermind
Old 04-27-2004, 05:14 PM
SteveZ

Wha's up with the political web site in the sig, too?
Good site, but what's it got to do with Z's? Good site, wrong place?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:07 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by SteveZ
Wha's up with the political web site in the sig, too?
Good site, but what's it got to do with Z's? Good site, wrong place?
Just doing what many other members here have done Steve...
Support my political affiliation.

By the way the higher Kelvin, reffers to the color temperature of light.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:41 PM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kelvin nerdery

Kelvin temperature means color of light. The higher, the bluer.

Think of a piece of hot metal, the hotter you get it, the bluer it will be.

And also,

Kelvin temperature and light output are not directly related, it is definitely possible to have a much much brighter bulb at a higher degree Kelvin.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:29 PM
MillaTime021

TXStyle,

Love the car and the mods but your choice for president is quite disturbing my friend.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:39 PM
jj1814

ooh let's not start that here

Quick Reply: Some Clarification on Our HIDS/XENONS...!