Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts
Default kit

BE SCARED. VERY.

Crashed?

nope..never. not in the least. pulled off a kit that fit fine.
I have also done this before, etc.. im not some guy who expects it to be perfect either... it aint even close man. Its THAT vs knock off kit everyone fears.

Dude the front end is bowed and has HUGE gaps around the headlights, i just tried holding a front overfender and it doesnt even have the same radius as the oem wheel well, it doesnt match up w the headlight cut out, and is 4 inches off where it runs under the fr bumper. The rear end doesnt have enuff materi8al to drill a hole to bolt it on, would have to re-glass new tabs onto it.

Bottom line is that this kit is a travesty, and I opened a Cred card dispute. This will be a huuuuuuuge pain in the ***.

Im buying a genuine VS kit from Intense.. f this. I have to bring it to them and have them write up an estimate on how much it would cost to repair this kit for my cred card company to reimburse me. basically if they are going to credit me back the grand i spent, i have to show its not fixable. And im sure it is.. for like 4 k. A real kit will be just fine.. im so over this.. its not even fun anymore. Totally ruined the excitment of the build. SO i will be out all my wheel money now as well. FFFF#####K!

How gay is this.. ive spent soo much time waiting etc... to finally get out there and have to deal w this bs.

I should have left my car as it was and called it a day, I had a nice kit, **** looked tight. now i opened pandoras box and im all up in it now.

This VS kit will run me 2 grand now, which means 2 more months of driving around w no parts on my car. let alone what it will cost me to ship this piece of sh#t kit back to DTM. To what, sell it back to some other unsuspecting guy? its nuts man.. im so pissed today im sweating .
Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 PM
c0ld29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why if I have a bad experience I usually never spend money at that place again. Good luck getting everything straightened out
Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the kits fitment really DTM's fault though? I dunno, maybe I missed a few posts that would explain why you are so upset, but from what I'm reading you are upset that the kit doesn't fit witch is a problem you should have with VIS, not DTM. Now if you took your car to DTM for them to do the body work and the finished product was crappy, then that I can understand.

I dunno, not trying to be a jerk or anything, just trying to keep an open perspective.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Sure..and I'm not personaly mad at DTM. ..the situation just really sucks. But I assume its a vis. Kit..regardless it. Was paid for thru DTM and their products sold are their issue to. To support as well. If it was you you would you care who's fault it was? Probably not. You would just want what you paid for..they can take it up with whomever manufacturered the item. All I know is that I am the proud owner of a one thousand dollar Pile of useless and unrepairable d glass parts.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

If I had a dime for everytime somebody told me about how crappy their VeilSide knockoff kit was, I'd be a rich man.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default yep...

Brian, you are correct my friend.....which has now of course solicited our pm's to each other this weekend.

I must say that it truly is a far far cry from the real thing. Really is.. somehow, the veilside kit really just needs to be precise, more so than other kits I believe. Theres too much sh#t to have line up between parts.. if care isnt taken w the parts in the molds, they are gonna be off or warped when they pull em out for sure..

I mean this thing isnt BAD like some stuff Ive seen, its just not straight in the least. There are areas that just wont go together without someone cutting and totally redoing them. And the over fenders are toast.. theres no way theyd fit. All the mounting tabs are too small too... and the front end is jacked as well near the headlights.

So, I sent a solid email to DTM, opened a cred card dispute to make sure Im protected if DTM doesnt come thru, put it up on craiglsist cheap in case I get totally stuck w it.. and am buying authentic parts now.

Pete at Intense is my umber one, but I doubt he has the stuff in stock, so depending on his hookup, I will be peppering VSUSA and Intense for real parts. I have a real hood, real mirrors, etc.... so now for a real kit I guess.

Believe me: LESSON SOLIDLY LEARNED.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 AM
dkwang

Thanks for documenting this, by the way. Sucks total ***** to have this onus on you, but falling on a grenade for the rest of us = honor!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default yup..

emailed dtm.. no response.

Went to another shop for a quote on repairing or installing the kit I got..sent it to my bank as they had asked..... my credit card company will handle all mediation about the cost of the kit that was sent to me.

Went to another local shop and have ordered authentic Veilside parts now. When the credit card dispute is over I will give details on how it went. Until then, Ill keep all names out of the thread.

regardless, the story read BUY GENUINE PARTS as of now. Just ask.. youd be surprised at the deals some shops will cut you on the real parts.

And theres a certain pride in knowing I have the right stuff and that I can't improve on what I have done, that there have been no shortcuts taken.

It would have been nice to save a few grand and I did NOT expect to be writing all this, thats for damn sure. I have a feeling I wont get a dollar back for the kit as I dont really have the ability to repack and send it back.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM
dkwang

you might be able to ask the local shop to package it for you..
Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

for sure, thats a good idea actually. If I ship it back ( pay a few hundred Im sure) they are usually pretty good about reversing cash back to my card... its happened before w ebay parts etc. If you show em a tracking number and they can see it made it back, it helps alot.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

Do you HAVE to ship the old kit back?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default kit..

Man, I would hope not, but all things considered, if I was DTM, Id probably want to know I wasnt getting ripped off.. with no money in the bank from the kit, and I could be rolling around with it installed. so I understand them wanting to see whats up... plus they made me send a photocopy of my credit card and my drivers license before allowing me to order the kit, IE, I have a feeling they get kits bought w fraud cards alot etc and are used to charge backs.

Or they sell alot of kits that get disputes started.. who knows. Im just worried about my own money at this point. I wont speculate.

I will also say that they havent old me anything bad yet either.. they may be real cool about it all.. I doubt it, but still. But agian, I wont do anything over the phone.. all by printable traceable emails only. And I havent recvd a reply yet, so thats all I know really.

Id be down to drop the damn thing off next time im in Cali, but that wont be for awhile, and El Monte is not where I like to Hang.. haha. Thats a long way away from Franks Cheeseburger Tacos in Huntington beach.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:08 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

haha, i almost feel bad now tho.. I was HEEEEATD when I found out this kit was so off.. I just re read my previous posts that day I tried the install.. haha, yikes.. def not the way to get a refund, but oh well. Im a hot tempered big crazy dude, it happens.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

I just have no idea what they would do with a junk kit if it was returned.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default returns

my thoughts exactly.

I bet it will be more on the side of my bank..they usually dont reverse funds unless theres a tracking number, but they also dont usually tell em they need a shop opinion either.. Im having it sent over now.

Speaking of buying parts, Pete will probably be calling you shortly to put in for my side skirts and fenders. I located an auth front and rear end... and will have it installed professionally this time now as well. Should make for a nice finished product in flat black.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Haha.. my quote to fix and install the kit? $1650 bucks... and thats a deal I would assume. They would only charge 16 hours to re cut, rebuild, and re mold kit. Mind you, thats not paint or anything, just a "make it fit" quote.

wow, cool. SO the bank isnt asking for me to ship the stuff back... but this is a small town, I dont wish this upon anyone else, so I guess ill try to just throw em away I guess.. not sure if an auto parts recycler would take em..

SOunds like the bank takes the hit,and then tries to recover what they can from the seller. And hopefully the seller is somehow insured agianst that... im not happy that anyones getting screwed.. thats just bad juju.. but Im also much happier if it does HAVE to be someone, that its not me.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:05 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

updates:

well the bank is issuing me a refund.

I called DTM after a week went by with no reply to my email.. and I was put thru to Manny. Ive never talked to Manny before. Many says " oh youre the guy we did the carbon on the front right?... I got that email.. well since we did the carbon we cant send it back to the manufacturere.. so.... " and sounded like he just woke up too btw.
I kept it short and sweet.
I replied " So becuase you added carbon, you cant do anything then, correct?" and he said "Yeah" at which poihnt i ended the call.

I notated all of this conversation, printed this whole thread, and sent it all to the bank.
I should have my money back in 2 days.

End of story.

Knock offs are like a gamble, sometimes you win big, sometimes you lose it all, and either way, you have ZERO controll of the roll of the dice.

My opinion? Steer clear. They go thru employees like a chop shop, and the service this time sucked as much or moreso than thier pals at M1. If you buy a kit from someone cool there, chances are he has quit by the time you need help w the sale.

I'm reporting nothing but the facts here too guys.

I am done w this update, hopefully it helps warn people about being the nice guy and giving " SECOND CHANCES" ...

I realized something invaluable here.. please listen up:

before you cut costs and buy from someone unreputable.. tell a local shop or a solid siute sponsor about your limitations..

I found that my local shop was willing to charge me much less than retail to get me into an authentic Japanese Aero kit... I should have givne them my business inthe first place.

PLEASE THINK ABOUT THAT.

Thanks all for listening and tuning into this BS saga too.

Quick Reply: DTM Autobody: 2nd chances...