Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody put Corbeau Sport seats in their Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Highmiles43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took an 11 hour drive down the Blueridge Parkway yesterday. Toward the end, I was getting uncomfortable, but not unbearable like before. The modifications worked well enough, that I want to try it, as is, a little while longer and see if i just need to let the changes break in. If not, some more tuning should take care of it. I might eventually need just a little more padding in the center of the backrest to pull my shoulders out of the bolsters a little more. It is very close.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:04 PM
FLfinfan

I'm going to my usual custom auto place (they do work on my Titan and Z) to see their upholstery/interior guy Mon. Then to one other place if I have time. I'm with you in thinking center foam.
I am trying to get 2 different guys to post, on this site and another, about the comfort factor of their Sparco Torino seats.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM
FLfinfan

Took out the drivers seat yesterday. Unbolting it was easy, but the little clips that are holding the seat belt/dashboard light wires are a pain in the butt. Removing them destroyed them, but nothing zip-ties didn't fix.
Took the seat to the shop that does all the work on the Z and the Titan, and the guy there spent 4 hours on it and charged 150.00.
Here's what was wrong in his/my view:He took the entire seat apart. He said the seat cushion seat bolsters (metal plates described in earlier post) had cut through the crazy thin foam. A member here (Highmiles43) said his seat guy told him the same thing. My guy says he usually only see's that on cheaper American cars or older cars. And the foam in the center back rest and the seat bottm was a joke. Think Dollar Store beer coozie. Which I could see from looking at both when I took the seat out. The "U" shaped metal piece that is connected to the head rest goes all the way down between your shoulder blades and rests up against thin foam there and could be felt through the seat. The "S" springs/ribs in the seat were not shielded by much foam either.
Here's what he did:
Added carpet on both sides of the "S" springs in the seat back and seat cushion. The factory used basically zip lock bag film. Then added carpet to the back of the original factory foam. This would provide better support and shield the springs/metal ribs from pushing deeply into the foam. Then he added carpet to the top of the bolsters so they would not split the foam added there. As far as foam added (in addition to the factory foam), he used a better quality foam and used 3/4 of an inch in the center section of the back rest from top to bottom. 3/4 inch added in seat bottom cushion in the center section till the in between leg bump, were he had to go 1/2 inch. The bolster areas he added 1/2 inch on the sides and 3/4 directly on top.
He said he could add an extra 1/2 inch here and there if I did not like it, but it might distort the look of the seat in places. The seat looks more padded, the rise between fabric seams is noticeably greater without looking out of place. It feels more padded without feeling like it won't hold you. The seat cloth is tighter because it's fuller underneath. I do not feel springs, head rest bars, or metal bolsters and it's an "ahhhh" feeling instead of the, "I gotta sleep on the floor tonight" feeling. Only a long drive will be the true test result. Looking forward to that now.
Sorry so long.