Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

what do i hook these leds up too

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010 | 12:18 PM
bjjbadboy

Default what do i hook these leds up too

hey just pick up some leds to put around my headlights. gonna pull the orange relector first then hook these leds up around the outside of the lights. my question is i dont want to run them off a switch I wanna hook them up as day time running lights....I think... that or have them come on when the parking lights and then headlights are on. my question is what can I tap into to make this easiest... I have decent electronics skill. thanks guys
Old 11-22-2010 | 12:32 PM
cheshirecat79

hi,

I would like to see these leds that you're going to hook up around the outside of the light. Can you please provide a link for my entertainment? That way I can help you better.

Thank you!
Old 11-22-2010 | 01:03 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

here it comes...
Old 11-22-2010 | 01:45 PM
Linuxglobal

wow that sounds horrible, can we do anything to stop you before you do this "MOD"?

PS you can hook up lights to your ACC signal wire, its in the fuse box beside the battery. This will turn on when the ingition is on, basically a DRL, it can be inhibited using a 5 pin relay to turn of the lights when say the low beams turn on.

With basic wiring skill you would be able to pull it off in a few mins, its just a pain to run the wires in the engine bay neatly without removing the bumper and hiding the components behind the lights.

Cheers
C

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 11-22-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2010 | 02:46 PM
bjjbadboy

dnt have a link, n they r not bad, car is very tastefully done just little lighting thing. will post pics soon as done and i figure out how to post pics
Old 11-22-2010 | 05:10 PM
cheshirecat79

You should be able to splice into the running light if you need a power source. Best of luck- can't wait to see the pics, I'm sure it's going to look really really great!
Old 11-22-2010 | 05:41 PM
STL 350Z

Are these the LED's Greddy has released?
Old 11-22-2010 | 11:41 PM
bjjbadboy

wow lots of hate...thanks for the help though...HOw do I post pics? if I dont like them I pull them off not really a big deal..some people like led sidemarkers i see on these boards and I think it horrible to each their own..

anyway...had no problem at all pulling the headlight apart and pulling out the orange reflector.

where in the fuse box acc signal wire? where would i be able to splice power going in? head lights? which wire on which harness? If I have to Im sure I can figure out by testing all of them but thats little much, didnt want this to be a big deal...

and btw when I powered it up I very much liked the way it looked and soon as you tell me how to post pics we will check it out..thanks again as always
Old 11-23-2010 | 03:45 AM
cheshirecat79

go to www.imgur.com.

Click on upload images

click on browse

choose your pics

click upload

once it's done, copy the "message board" link on the left which has img on each side of the link. Paste that here and the pictures magically appear in your post. Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2010 | 10:28 AM
bjjbadboy

Thanks going down there now will have some pics soon. can anyone help with the wiring question? thanks again
Old 11-23-2010 | 10:34 AM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by bjjbadboy
Thanks going down there now will have some pics soon. can anyone help with the wiring question? thanks again
remove the battery cover area, remove the fuse box cover

you will see labels on the box, some of them say IGN i believe or ACC

You can solder a wire on top of the fuse, just do it on the exiting point of the fuse that way if the load is too much the fuse blows as it should. If you do it on the other side it wont be fused anymore. A simple voltmeter can help you identify the hot side of the fuse. Ideally you should use the ACC or IGN just to activate a 4 pin relay, the relay would connect the bridge between the LEDs and 12VDC from the battery + pole.

If you want to make your life easier and dont know what im talking about above, just wire the leds to your sidemarkers or low beams at the headlight plug.

Cheers
C
Old 11-23-2010 | 10:46 AM
bjjbadboy

Originally Posted by Linuxglobal
remove the battery cover area, remove the fuse box cover

you will see labels on the box, some of them say IGN i believe or ACC

You can solder a wire on top of the fuse, just do it on the exiting point of the fuse that way if the load is too much the fuse blows as it should. If you do it on the other side it wont be fused anymore. A simple voltmeter can help you identify the hot side of the fuse. Ideally you should use the ACC or IGN just to activate a 4 pin relay, the relay would connect the bridge between the LEDs and 12VDC from the battery + pole.

If you want to make your life easier and dont know what im talking about above, just wire the leds to your sidemarkers or low beams at the headlight plug.

just looked under the fuse cover. the ign fuse is has 3 other fuses connected to it its one of those big ones with clear cover. your saying to take that cover off find the hot end and solder my positive to that?

Cheers
C
Thank you its been so long since I have done anything electrical.. im not going that crazy on these but out of couriosity what would using a relay do? whats a pole? when I am testing the fuse the hot side should only be hot when the key is on correct other wise its a constant?

just looked under the fuse cover. the ign fuse is has 3 other fuses connected to it its one of those big ones with clear cover. your saying to take that cover off find the hot end and solder my positive to that?

Last edited by bjjbadboy; 11-23-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2010 | 11:11 AM
Linuxglobal

Thank you its been so long since I have done anything electrical.. im not going that crazy on these but out of couriosity what would using a relay do? whats a pole? when I am testing the fuse the hot side should only be hot when the key is on correct other wise its a constant?
hi

Thats not exactly what i meant.

Fuse has 2 poles, like a plug that it fits into.
BTW pole is synonymous for terminal, basically the battery part that says + on it, is the positive pole and - is the negative pole.

Ok so back to the fuse, the fuse has 2 little spade like fittings that it plugs into. The fuse connects the bridge between two positive connections, its like a switch that pulls out.

One side has 12v+(only when ign is on for IGN), the other side of the fuse has 0V because the fuse sends power to that side (ie headlights)

This is why if your fuse blows the car is still sending power to that one fuse pole but it doesnt pass through to the other side which actually leads to the load (headlights).

So you need to shave a small corner of the fuse and solder an activator cable on the side leading the power (that would be the the headlights side for example, not the constant source power of the fuse). This way if the fuse blows for whatever reason, then your leds stop working as well until the fuse is replaced. Otherwise you can cause serious wire damage to your car.

A relay is then needed to send the power or you can hook up the leds (they are relatively low in consumption) to the wire you have just soldered onto the fuse. The relay method is commonly used for applications where you connect higher wattage loads like hids, fogs etc.

Again be careful, if you are not sure what is going on, please DO NOT follow my advice. Simply tap into existing lighting lines and it will be the safest route. Im not responsible for misuse of my info, i know it works since ive done it before for my lighting business and on my own car but if its not followed correctly you may have issues.

Cheers
C
Old 11-23-2010 | 01:40 PM
zaperroni

Just splice into your running light.
Old 11-30-2010 | 10:05 AM
bjjbadboy

hey thanks for the help to all that did. havent been able to get on in a while work etc, but they look sick. first looks totally new with the orange strip and was hella easy to take the light apart, wish I had something else to do in there (dont like halos and like the chrome). just ended up hooking the leds to the running lights (just fused them both with old fuses from an alarm i pulled out)
I only have my phone camara so pics suck can just tell the led is under the light and no mas orange. im gonna try and have my girl friend use her xmas present(camara) early to finally get some pics up,

how do i put my mods etc at the bottom of my post like you guys?

and about the relays just if you could help. I was working for an alarm stereo company long time ago and forgot everything. If i ran a relay off of the led it in a nut shell be on 12v constant to the relay then the ign would be tied in the led (or whatever you want to be turned on) and a ground? whats the difference with this and just splicing into something that powers 12v only when car is turned on?

and thanks for the refresher on fuses wow im brain dead. my ??? is how do you test the other pole of the fuse that normally would show 0 till it is turned on? you have to test the wire coming out of the end correct? Thanks again
Old 12-01-2010 | 12:37 PM
cheshirecat79

Can't wait to see pics. I'm sure this LED strip is the best ever. Please post them when you can.
Old 12-01-2010 | 05:26 PM
juju

In for pics
Old 12-01-2010 | 10:29 PM
shakalaka

^Ditto
Old 12-01-2010 | 10:34 PM
Linuxglobal

hey thanks for the help to all that did.....
I just added DRL lights to my friends 06 g35 coupe and i forgot some details myself.

You have the right idea, the relay has power all the time, it just becomes activated when the acc comes on. The reason you are using a relay is so that if by any chance your leds short circuit your car's acc does not go out and you wont lose your ignition

The ACC cable looks to be 12ga, its black with a red stripe, part of a plug in the fuse box under the fuses. I can snap a pic of it if you are still having issues.

PS you can just hook them up to the sidemarkers as others have suggested. My methods are just more elaborate to ensure safety in rewiring.

Signature editing is done in HTML, you can code for font color, size etc very easily. You can get premade code online to play with and copy into your signature

Cheers
C

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 12-02-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2010 | 07:46 AM
MarvinMartian

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiics?

Quick Reply: what do i hook these leds up too