Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
TomisS350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Problem

I have a 2006 Ethusiast model. The problem that I am having is that my front windshield wipers, just come on and off randomly. Sometimes its one swipe a day and another it just keeps on going on and on! There is no particular pattern, it just goes off on its own. I tried going over bumps to see if that would cause it to go off, sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. I checked the fuse and the relay just to see if one of those were faulty but that didnt seem to be the problem. I tried tapping on the wiper switch while driving to see if theres a cold solder joint and that wouldnt do anything as well. My guess is that it could be the motor but also a possibility it could be the actual switch! Before I start taking it all apart, i wanted to see if any of you guys had a similar problem, and have any suggestions on what it could be?! Thank You!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do the wipers sweep at high or low wiper speed? That might help isolate the problem.

The service manual section WW has some charts showing which switches and relays control the wiper motor. That would be the place to start looking for answers. The trouble-shooting section doesn't specifically address the problem you describe, though.

My best guess is that something is providing an intermittent ground that bypasses the parking switch that stops the motor when the wipers are at the base of the windshield when you turn the wipers off. However, there are a lot of other things in the BCM, IPDM/ER, combination switch, and wiring that could go wrong, too.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 AM
TomisS350z

They swipe at both speeds. Sometimes it swipes ones at a low speed and then later it will swipe few times in the row at the hight speed.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM
winchman

Then it's not the stop switch that's causing the problem.

Do the wipers work like they should when YOU switch them on? Do they change speeds by themselves when they're on? Are any other functions controlled by the combination switch (lights, turn signals, rear wiper, etc) acting strangely?

It sounds like either the combination switch is sending erroneous signals to the CPU in the Body Control Module, or the CPU itself isn't working correctly.

You're probably going to have to take the car to a dealer to get it analyzed, but I hate to suggest that with an intermittent problem. They'll either replace everything that could cause the problem and charge you accordingly, or they might replace something that's not causing the problem and you'll have to go back.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:50 PM
TomisS350z

Wipers do work as they are suppose to, whatever setup and speed I put them on, they work accordingly. So you think it might be something with CPU?! If I do take it to the dealership, do you have a rough estimate on how much they charge for troubleshoot?!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM
winchman

I've never had any work other than oil/filter changes done on my Z, so I don't have a clue. If it happens randomly and not very often, it's going to be hard to pin down. Best bet is to talk to a service adviser, and see what they say about the cost for troubleshooting the problem. Who knows, they might have seen the problem before, and know exactly what's causing it.

Last edited by winchman; 03-16-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 PM
TomisS350z

Thank you very much for all your help.