Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news and some questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 02:39 PM
ss350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news and some questions.....

OK well I knew it would happen sooner or later but not this soon. Today, i found about a 4 inch deep scratch on my rear fender. I was pretty pissed but w/e....I'm sure you all know about the infamous paint chips on our front bumpers and all. I am planning on getting the Vertex kit, but i was wondering about it chipping like the factory one?.... When they paint the kit do they use nissan paint? or do they just match it? I'm wondering if i'm going to have to paint the whole car over with some new quality paint so i dont have to try my car like 10 mph to keep it from chipping. This is ridiculous. Any suggestions please............
Old 12-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Hencho

Imo the paint chipping on the front is mostly in part due to the flat-ness of the bumper - its like a wall moving through the air.

Usually the bumpers are painted with a flex additive, so that they can withstand minor impacts and or bends and not crack off all of the paint or spiderweb across the bumper.

depending on what the vertex kit is made up of, will make the biggest difference in how many chips you get - if its urethane, that sprayed with the proper paint should not chip or crack as much as a pure fiberglass kit would.

ive never seen or heard of any problems or praises of frp kits - fiberglass reinforced plastic ?? or something like that . . im not great with acronyms. but as i understand it its sorta a cross between FG and Urethane. Correct me if im wrong tho.

Also the paint that youre bodyshop will be using will be mixed up by using the paint codes, then test sprayed on something to see how well they match it up , remember tho - you normally get what you pay for at a body shop - ask them lots of questions,

The nissan paint is prolly sprayed in a 3 - 4 different colors, a base a pearl the color then a clearcoat or something - see if there going to do that or just spray one color and hope for the best match.

Another thing to remember when going in there, and getting prices is that the body kit will most likely have to be sanded or filled in, broken and remolded to make fit etc - this can drasticallly change the price of the install, So get that panned out before you commit.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:30 PM
ss350

Default thanx

thanx I'll look into that