Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone changed their interior lights on their Z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Thanks - matching the other lighting just made the most sense to me. Nissan actually sells a floor lighting kit that uses orange bulbs. One bulb mounts under each seat, and the harness taps into the center console lighting wires. But, it doesn't look very good, and it's priced at something like $200+.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

Going along oem lines always makes sense..I simply purchased cheap amber led strips to back light my map pockets ( doors) and a pair of 194 harnesses and a pair of amber cree leds for my footwells. The amber comes on w any illumination ..and I have a duplicate cree in 5k white connected to my 5k dome light
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
dcains

Yeah I also have white LED's in the dome lights. Tried amber but it was just too dark if you actually need the lights to help you find something in the dark. I even found some white LED's to fit the sunvisor mirror lights. They're tiny slim tubes, almost like the old type fuses. Found them on eBay by searching for Acura TSX visor LED's (wife used to have one of those).
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the idea of some footwell lighting, did the later Z's have it from the factory?

I don't really like pulling things apart for access to wiring, just how involved is it to get access to the right wiring for footwell lights?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
dcains

I don't think any 350's had footwell lighting as original.

I found the wiring task to be very simple, even though my footwell lights are powered from the roof panel. I only had to remove two pieces of interior trim; the plastic piece on the edge of the headliner above the right door, and the plastic trim on the right side of the windshield. I used a straightened wire coat hanger to fish the wires from the dome light panel across to the right edge of the headliner, and then just taped the wires to the body and pulled them down to the right footwell, after which I replaced the two trim panels. No tools required, as the panels just pull off and press back on. I also used the coat hanger to fish the wires from the right side of the floor to the left side. Not much to it, maybe 30 minutes at the most. Here's a pic of the right footwell before I pulled the other wire over to the left side:

Last edited by dcains; 05-01-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there an easier way to get the footwell lighting to light up with the dome lights? So the footwell isn't always lit. I want the footwell to turn on with the dome light I turn on or i can also set to open with if the doors open.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by Deteria
Is there an easier way to get the footwell lighting to light up with the dome lights? So the footwell isn't always lit. I want the footwell to turn on with the dome light I turn on or i can also set to open with if the doors open.
In a word, no. If you wire the footwell lights to the switch on one of the door jambs, they'll only switch on/off with the doors open/closed, and I'm not sure you'll get the soft fade-off function.

You might be able to wire the footwell lights to the fuse box, if the fuse for the dome lights is only for the dome lights, and if that's the case, the footwell lights will also switch on/off with the doors, and you might get the soft fade-off,

But, in both those cases, it won't be possible to get the footwell lights to manually switch on/off when you push the lens to turn on one of the dome lights. The way I wired mine, if you turn on the right side dome light, only the right side footwell lights come on, and the same is of course true for the left side. And, both footwell lights come on when you open a door, and fade off slowly when you close a door or switch on the ignition key.

Wiring to the dome lights is very simple, but you do need to solder the wires to the top side of the some light assembly, as shown in the second pic in my first post to this thread.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

When you wired to the dome lights, did you need to send two lots of wires down so the lights on each side worked independently?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM
dcains

Yes. Each side of the floor lighting is manually controlled by its corresponding dome light, but both sides come on when a door opens, just like the dome lights.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

So you ran two pairs of wires down from the roof? (4 wires)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya that's what I want them to do. I don't mind them being independently operated as long as they are not always on and can come on with the dome lights.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
So you ran two pairs of wires down from the roof? (4 wires)
Yes, Go back to page one of this thread and look at the second pic in my post there. That's the top side of the dome light assembly, and you'll see two pairs of wires soldered to the circuit board. It's easier to run both sets of wires across to the right side of the headliner and down the A-pillar to the floor than it is to run one pair of wires to each side of the headliner. Less trim to pull off, and it's a piece of cake to run the wires for the driver's side across to the left under the dash along the firewall.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Nice, and there is enough room in the trim down the A-pillar for them all, obviously?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 PM
dcains

Plenty of room in the base A-pillars, but if you have the optional A-pillar airbags, that might cause me enough concern to not pull them off for this mod.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

See there's the other thing i forgot to mention, yes, i do, and looked at the pillars with the badge on them and thought, hmm, do i really want to pull that off
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM
dcains

Not so bad, you can run the wires a bit differently. Remove the trim piece from the headliner above the right door and the trim piece alongside the seat at the bottom of the door. Then pull off the weatherstripping around the B-pillar. You can just run the wires down the B-pillar, long the floor, and get them to the underside of the dash that way. I think there's a screw you can remove to pull off the front kick panel, too. Not really much different in terms of work, but the wires will need to be a bit longer. I've had virtually all the interior trim off my '08, and ran the power wire to the audio amps behind the kick panel, along the floor edge, and up the B-pillar. Plenty of room and easy access.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM
TPete19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Ahh, now that's a good idea, thanks, i think it'll get added to the other end of the current list, but i like it
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just added new LED strips to our store that make great footwell lights. Can't decide which color you want? Get our new RGB strips with 16 different colors on the standard remote and literally hundreds of different hues, contrasts, and shades on our upgraded remote.
Here is the product link on our website.
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/i...t/category/33/

Video coming soon. Look for it within the next 2 days
Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Any 'kits' to help install them?

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed their interior lights on their Z?