Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Question Turn Signal Problem

After changing out the front turn signals on my 06+ bi-xenon headlights to LEDs, I noticed that both sides would light up when I turned on my turn signals (left or right). The side I'm signaling works normal, but the other side would also dimly light up at the same time.

Then, while attempting to troubleshoot, my turn signals stopped working altogether. I'm guessing the wires crossed somewhere initially and now the wiring is either ripped something or worse. Can anybody point me in the appropriate direction on how to fix this issue?
The following users liked this post:
vagel72 (10-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Thumbs up

For future reference:
If you change out your front turn signals to LEDs, you MUST tape up part of the connector as shown in the attachment. Otherwise, all your turn signals and all your small lights front and back will light up together regardless of which side you're signaling. And if you insert either of the front LED turn signals in the wrong orientation, the turn signals won't work at all.

Both side A and side B must have the "left" wire taped as shown in the attachment, in addition to inserting the LEDs in the proper orientation for the turn signals to work properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Back when I put LEDs in my 03-05 headlights, I didn't run into this issue as the bulb itself is different for the front signals. This is only for those with bi-xenons.

I was able to fix this issue without spending any money and it was a simple (and maybe even common sense for some) fix. Fortunately, I was able to figure this out after searching and stumbling across a thread about troubleshooting a DRL "problem." Forums FTW!
Attached Thumbnails Turn Signal Problem-cjngfdryhnjkfyug.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct.

but don't your LED signals flash fast now since you have no resistors setup for them? or do you have the resistors already?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I already had resistors from when I had LEDs with the older headlights. I did rip them out last night thinking they could somehow be part of the cause, but I will be putting them back in.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 AM
cgkp0925

Gotcha.

I did the same with my front turn signal bulbs too on my 06+ headlights. A lot of threads say cut the wire, but it's less hassle in the future and cleaner this way with electrical tape on the bulb wire.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 PM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad I post this video a few year back to help someone on this forum out. Since the video I went the extra step I rip the wire from the bulb where you see the tape I put on both left side. This way no tape is needed.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Matt Everett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for all those wiring masters!!
My driver side turn signals isn't working, I have put a test light and it's getting power. Also ran a new ground. Have also tried the following:
Swapping light bulbs from each side
Switching wiring harness (one harness is from a depo light so the two connections in the inside aren't the same but everything else is)
Checking each wire for tears.
The only thing I haven't tried is a volt meter to test if it's getting 12v but I will check tomorrow.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2017, 06:25 PM
BlackTopRacing

Originally Posted by Matt Everett
Question for all those wiring masters!!
My driver side turn signals isn't working, I have put a test light and it's getting power. Also ran a new ground. Have also tried the following:
Swapping light bulbs from each side
Switching wiring harness (one harness is from a depo light so the two connections in the inside aren't the same but everything else is)
Checking each wire for tears.
The only thing I haven't tried is a volt meter to test if it's getting 12v but I will check tomorrow.

Matt, Have you fixed this problem? If not, I have a few questions for you:
Are you using LED Bulbs, if so, what brand?
Which bulbs are you using? (Should be using 7440/7443)
Is this on OEM headlights or Depos?
What year z/g?

Feel free to PM me for further assistance.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:38 PM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like I've run into problems on the LED conversion too. I got city lights and turn signals from GTR lighting. I got a response from the bulb after following the taping tip. That left me with the hyper flash so I installed the resistors. My Z is an 05 so it's the old style with only a positive and negative to the signal bulb. When I splice in the resistor, (60W6ΩJ)
I don't get a signal at all. Anybody know how to fix this?

Last edited by Cracka350; 08-31-2017 at 03:39 PM.