Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom interior material options.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 PM
CheekyChung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom interior material options.

Just looking for answers and opinions on options for doing the center console, dash trims, and maybe the roof liner... I don't want any bright colors or something too fancy, yet I don't want to cheap out and have to replace it every year or so.

I'd like to keep it a matte/non-glossy black.
No fake CF or stick on wraps, please. I want functionality ie comfort and prevent trim rattle and clicks.
Has anyone done the dash and console with some sort of durable cloth, or would that look super cheap? I wouldn't mind that in place of expensive alcantara if it can be done right.

after doing some searching, I've read quotes up to $600 for alcantara. Anyone know if that's the same for just the center console and some dash bits? I'm hoping that $600 is for bigger projects like seats and steering wheel, too.

TL;DR
Customer interior. No wraps. Alternatives to alcantara. Price range please?!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alacantra looks pretty nice
Old 09-12-2012, 11:18 PM
CheekyChung

I'm willing to do alcantara if it can be done in my budget. I wouldn't even mind doing piece by piece. Depending on price, I'm looking for cheaper alternatives that's a good, durable alternative.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 AM
JCITY
Banned

IMO,some of your objectives don't calculate.Its usually,the old"you pay for what you get"
deal.If you have a limited budget,you are not gona get all the stuff you want.Just thinkin out loud,you appear to be a newer owner.Have you actually SEEN the interior
materials in a car or Z that you are critical of?I've learned that a lot of guys give opinions
without seeing something or,a "friend" that drives a ricer Civic told gave an opinion.
You may want to look at some interiors from other car makes.Lamborghini for one uses
Alcantara widely in their cars.This stuff is NOT very durable.Especially on seats.Suede
as used in other cars looks great,but again,not great for everyday use.From what you are saying,you don't like wraps,"stick on" stuff.Some of the "stick on" stuff that you are
talkin about is available in many finishes included matte black.You could go the CF
parts route and cover your dash,headliner with Alcantara.Its gonna be expensive anyway
you look at it if you go the quality look that you want.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You gotta pay to play OP. Alcantara it is.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

cut corners it will show...
Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 AM
CheekyChung

I heard that alcantara does wear easily for everyday use..
I guess what I'm asking is, what are some good alternatives to alcantara (NOT necessarily something that looks the same) that are considered a good quality material for interior use.

Another question would be if using certain materials on some dash and console parts will get rid of some rattling on the trim? Like a cloth/alcantara material would act as a buffer between the hard plastic pieces.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

While waiting for opinions you can also google "custom 350z interior" and click on images
You might find something that interests you
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 AM
JCITY
Banned

Cool Rattling on the trim?

Originally Posted by CheekyChung
I heard that alcantara does wear easily for everyday use..
I guess what I'm asking is, what are some good alternatives to alcantara (NOT necessarily something that looks the same) that are considered a good quality material for interior use.

Another question would be if using certain materials on some dash and console parts will get rid of some rattling on the trim? Like a cloth/alcantara material would act as a buffer between the hard plastic pieces.
What kind of rattling are you getting?
I've not experienced this kinda stuff in my Z...
Could the rattling come from suspension mods/springs etc?
Is your car stock or,lowered etc?Again,budget vs insolation for the noise
you are talking about.It appears you are negative on "dash kits".But
if helping out your rattling,the dash kits are basically material sandwiched
between a 3-M sheet and a urethane coating.They do quiet and insolate
the plastic parts substantially.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:01 AM
CheekyChung

My car is stock with no mods and I hear the slight rattling on bumpy and gravely roads coming from the center console door and some of the trim on the dash seem to be slightly loose.

Searching finds me show cars with fully custom interiors, or something really bright and out there... maybe I'm just not finding something that catches my eye?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM
TPete19

I did my headliner in upholstery quality microfiber (aka ultra suede). Worked great on that piece. It is not flexible enough for the dash/center console. That is the most limiting factor in what you are asking to do. I ended up with a vinyl wrap on my 'waterfall' after doing a ton of research on the topic. Alcantara would work, but the cost is too high for our cars (sorry, but its the truth).

There are some more flexible fabrics, but when I looked into them , the quality isn't there.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

it costs $ to be the BOSS, check out carbon creations aka tonestor...dude does some crazy shiit with carbon fiba son
Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

post your interior thread is huge and has any idea you could think of. Alcantara is not expensive and wears perfectly fine for daily use as long as its not under your butt or your elbow... any material dies slowly w that pressure.

It cleans easily w a damp microbifber cloth and looks and feels great.
Its a difficult DIY when it comes to the gauge pod area curve and the bits under the dash closer to your feet.

heres someone esles headliner.. easily done DIY.

Name:  img0521bb2.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  42.2 KB

Here my PITA parts.. decreasing bulk so the panels fits is difficult.

Name:  IMG_20110526_072414.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20110526_072432.jpg
Views: 5490
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20110526_072400.jpg
Views: 2506
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20110601_090022.jpg
Views: 3883
Size:  108.7 KB

all together w headliner and all dash pieces and lots of 3m spray glue, id say I spent 300-350 bucks.

But ive done this before lol.

All i can say to those who ahve not is that you can always tear it off and use a wire brush to get the glue clumps off and try again.. OR the pieces ea on ebay are only like 40 bucks ... you can always jsut sand the texture off them and paint them body color.. everyone always does the console.. but the dash pieces wouldl look dope painted IMHO.. even if black/smooth.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 PM
TurboTom

miami suede is a little cheaper then alcantara and looks the same
Old 09-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Collin Lacy

It is my personal goal to put as much fake carbon in my car as Brian has real carbon in his.

You can just use regular headliner fabric for the headliner. Its cheap, stretchy and easy to apply, and looks stock. Just use black instead of the stupid tan grey they put up there.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Alcantara looks really nice overall.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

what you want to avoid is the coarser and more blueish tinted cheaper synthetic suedes.
You want to see them outside in day light.. you can easily see mine is ashy, rgayish, and BLACK.

The 22$ per yard stuff will make your car look like a velvet 986 Chevy truck seat cover.. and the labor will be the same... pay great attention.. also you ahve to buy it all at the same place due to this issue... mix matches willappear obvious to even a novice eye.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:52 PM
CheekyChung

Arrows are pointing to the areas I want done in the suede/cloth/alcantara wrapmaterial. I'll probably have the roof liner done in the same material so it's not just small random patches of material floating around the car..
I wouldn't mind getting the door done as well since it's the same textured plastic as the parts I arrowed in.

Would it be awkward looking to only have the front part done and leave the rest of the arm rest/center left alone, or am I the only one thinking of covering 1 style of plastic wrapped, and the different textured plastics left alone a good and clean idea?

And for future reference, I'm not planning on using a super cheap walmart/chopshop fake alcantara. When I'm asking for completely different alternatives to alcantara, I DON'T MEAN CHEAP IMITATIONS.
Attached Thumbnails Custom interior material options.-2006-nissan-350z-cockpit-interior-view.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 04:56 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...rior-pics.html

read thru this.
Youre not going to get a good result w suede on a detailed piece w moving parts like the center console and lid, ill tell you that right off the bat.

you dont have room for material in the gaps.
its too bulky.. try it, youll see what i mean.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 PM
CheekyChung

So what you're saying is a good wrap is the only way to go, eh?
oh well... I'm assuming from that thread you posted that the only way would be to sand down the rough texture?

Quick Reply: Custom interior material options.