Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Anyone with G35 harness bar knowledge here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013 | 11:32 PM
jining

Default Anyone with G35 harness bar knowledge here?

Hey guys, the g35 forums are not very much help, so hopefully there are some g owners on here. I picked up a pair of Recaro SPG seats today, and I am looking into harness bars for my 2003 g35 coupe. The only thing I can find is the NRG harness bar, which I hear is pretty bad. Does anyone know if the Sparco harness bar can fit in the g35, or if there are any other alternatives?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-08-2013 | 06:15 PM
jining

bump
Old 08-14-2013 | 01:47 PM
joeb1983

I am in the same boat... G35driver isn't really much help at all anymore. I have talked to several vendors and most say that Sparco does not list it for the G35, so it will not fit. I called Sparco USA and was told it was solely designed and tested for the 350z and it has not been tested in the G35 so they do not recommend you try and use it.

I also spoke with Speedware-Motorsports in Washington as they manufacture the bars for Sparco and they told me that the interior panels on the G35 are different and it will not work, but again it has not been tried... They have old stock on hand and you can pick one up for $300 plus shipping. Just dont want to drop $300+ to find out...

A thread on driver has this photo tagged as a Sparco bar in a G35, but it looks more like a NRG bar due the fact the Sparco is only a one piece bar with no down supports (Confirmed with Sparco and Speedware) that relies on its end-plates to hold the bar up. I personally like the down support style myself.

There are many universal bars out there, but the down supports seem to be pretty short causing the bar to slant downward too much for my liking. If you really plan on tracking the car or really care about safety, universal bars are pretty sketchy as you do not know the strength of the materials, the amount of R&D, acceptable harness attachment angles and who knows if it would even pass tech...

All in all either someone actually drops the $ and tries the Sparco for the 350z on a G, get an NRG, buy a universal bar and hope it works and pray its safe or have one custom made... By the way NRG bars are universal, but their application chart lists both their 49" and 50.5" bar for the G35. I called them today and they said you can run either one, but on the 50.5" the brackets will need to be reversed. Their bar is constructed out of aluminum not steel.

FYI, I measured from drivers upper seat belt mount to passengers and it was roughly 48". Pillar to pillar panel roughly 49".
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with G35 harness bar knowledge here?-nrg-bar.jpg   Anyone with G35 harness bar knowledge here?-sparco-bar.jpg   Anyone with G35 harness bar knowledge here?-harness-angles.gif  

Last edited by joeb1983; 08-14-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2013 | 05:39 PM
jining

Ive actually spoken with a few shops, and they recommend not getting a harness bar since I dont have a roll bar, not sure the logic behind that. Anyways, I ended up picking up the Takata Drift III ASM harnesses, as they are DOT approved 4 points. They are designed to bolt to the rear seatbelt bolts, they work great! I took my rear seats out as well.

Last edited by jining; 08-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.