Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cd and cross sectional area

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 09:05 PM
roark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cd and cross sectional area

I'm trying to run some calculations on actual HP/TQ from my G-Tech data, but I need to input the Coefficient of Drag and cross sectional areas of the car.

I see a published Cd of .29 for my touring model, but I don't see if the Nismo aero kit reduces this by any significant amount. My gut feeling is no, since the Nismo aero kit appears to be designed for enhanced high-speed stability only.

I'm estimating the cross sectional area at 1.8 M^2 based on my rough calculations, but if anyone has the exact number, I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:51 PM
FLY BY Z

the z's are all .31 but the track gets a .29. the nismo kit may alter this number as it is a functional kit in the wind tunnel. i would think it plays a part starting around 60 or so? I don't know where exaclty.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:59 AM
roark

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
the z's are all .31 but the track gets a .29. the nismo kit may alter this number as it is a functional kit in the wind tunnel. i would think it plays a part starting around 60 or so? I don't know where exaclty.
I just doubleched this on Nissan's site. Since I have the aero package, I only differ from track by the underbody diffusers, which I still have yet to figure out if they really do anything.

Aerodynamics
Comprehensive underbody airflow management
Front: Zero-lift
Rear: Zero-lift includes front chin spoiler, rear underbody diffusers and rear spoiler
Drag coefficient (Cd):
.30 - Base, Enth, Perf, Touring
.29 - Track
.34 - Roadster
Old 01-31-2004, 01:43 PM
FLY BY Z

What I meant was .31 for those Z's without the optional aero kit. .30 for the ones with the kit and .29 for the track with the aero kit and also it's exclusive underbody diffusers. good catch roark.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:03 AM
roark

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
What I meant was .31 for those Z's without the optional aero kit. .30 for the ones with the kit and .29 for the track with the aero kit and also it's exclusive underbody diffusers. good catch roark.
But back to my original question, does anyone have the exact cross sectional area? I really need this to adjust my G-Tech data. I'm hoping I can formulate numbers that exactly match what the Dyno is saying, so I don't have to rely on the Dyno as often.

I'm also hoping to come up with some fairly simple procedure and formulas for using a coast (say 60-40 mph) at the end of a G-Tech run to give a good rolling, aero, etc. resistance value for 1/4 mile runs. I just need this cross sectional area value to get started.

Thanks