Sponsored by:

350z Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:12 AM
bocbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Headlight Issue

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here after having a frustrating time with my headlights.

I have a 2005 Enthusiast. The factory headlights had taken quiet a beating from the elements so figured it was time to replace them. Not having a huge budget, I got some Spec-Ds. Installed them myself, moving the ballast and bulbs from the original housings to the new ones. All plugged in and set... working great. About two weeks later, the left light developed quite a bit of condensation and well as the HID bulb going out. Got another HID, put it in, no luck. That's the extent of my automotive lightning knowledge so not sure where to go from here.

Question 1: Is a complete ballast/ignitor swap in order?

Talked to some guys at a local detail/light shop and they said to go with LEDS and that didn't recommend HIDS at all anymore. So:

Question 2: If I get a LED HID replacement kit, I've seen they're all advertised as "plug-n-play"... plug into what? The same connection that the current HID bulb goes into the ballast? If so, and the ballast is the issue, then the LED won't work either, correct? Or do LED kits come with their own power box that then plugs into wiring? Or is there a connector that the LEDs plug straight into that no longer needs the ballast? My cousin helped me a lot with the switch out so I honestly don't remember what the wiring was like so this may be a stupid question.

On a side note, the right light has had no issues with condensation/bulb whatsoever. Working perfectly fine.
Thanks to any help that may come! Just ready for my car to be night-time worthy

Last edited by bocbos; 03-03-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,112 Likes on 792 Posts

The moisture in the left light may have had something to do with the bulb going out. When you say you replaced it and no luck, does that mean it didn't light up at all? Or, it did light up, but then went out?

Moisture is not good for bulbs. durp. But you probably already knew that. If the new bulb lit up and then went out after 10-30 seconds, but when you cycle the lights, the light comes on again, that's usually a sign of a bad ballast.

One way to determine if the bulb or ballast are bad would be to switch out the suspected component with the other side that works. i.e., plug the right HID bulb in the left ballast to test the ballast.

These LED driving bulbs are fairly new technology. I know there's some on TRS. From the reviews, it appears they are good for high beams or DRLs, but the light pattern blows for low beams. The LED headlight bulbs that I've seen have a rather large housing on the back of the bulb and I doubt it would fit in our housings, but I don't know this for sure. They would be plug and play as long as you get the LED bulb with the same connector for the bulb you're replacing. I know they have some for H7s.

I put a pair of the H3 LED bulbs in my other car's fog lights. I would absolutely NOT use them for headlights. Even the D2R outperforms them.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:01 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

question.... do you still have your fender liners in?
Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM
bocbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I figured. Seemed too much coincidence that moisture and no light at same time.

The brand new bulb did not work at all. Cycled it several times, no luck.

And yes, I working on the moisture issue at the same time. I've seen a few ideas for getting that fixed so really just needing tips for the light issue. Don't mean that to be snippy at all... just making sure everyone knows that I'm aware condensation needs to be addressed

So, with a new bulb having zero on time, I'm suspecting the ballast. I just wanted to see if I'm thinking correctly before purchasing a replacement and swapping that out.

And I agree, the D2Rs have wonderful output. When they were both working it was perfect.

And yes, the fender liners were both put it after the new headlights were put in. Haven't driven without them.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:12 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

they prob arent sealed good, not really a quality product. you could bake them, pull off the housing and reseal them... or sale them and pick up some depot lights
Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,112 Likes on 792 Posts

Before buying a new ballast, I would put the new HID bulb (the one that didn't light up at all) on the right side with the working ballast. If it still doesn't light up, then the bulb is defective out of the box.

Then, swap the working bulb from the right side over to the left side's ballast and see if it lights up. If it doesn't then you know the left ballast needs to be replaced.