Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage issue please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:16 AM
shadowoffair

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Voltage issue please advise.

Ok so I recently installed some new reverse/signal combo lights on my 04 350z these to be exact. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Nissan-350Z-LED-Turn-Signal-Brake-Backup-Light-DIY-p/72-003.htm

The installation went relatively smooth since I followed the instructions. To facilitate easy removal in the future if necessary I ran the wiring for the load resistors into the trunk of the car for easy replacement and added male/female quick disconnects wherever possible. The reverse function and signal functions both work perfectly. The issue I'm running into is with the dim/full bright functions of the red brake light features. Specifically the dim function. When I turn my rotary switch to on for both running light (only) and all lights on selections I now have a voltage drop issue which affects my cruise control and acceleration. The lights will still operate normally however torque does not kick in past 3k rpm and I can not set the CC at any speed.

Also if it gets very cold (around 40°F) my VDC (off), ABS & SLIP lights illuminate in my dash. anything above that temp I only get a flashing indication from the CC SET lamp plus the lack of acceleration thing. Once I turn the lights to full off the car acts completely normal thus telling me the voltage drop is in the brake light circuit. I made two solder splices per side to wire in the additional brake light features the rest was plug and play. I believe I made the error with the length of wire I used for the splices. I may have made them too long.

Here is what I'm thinking to possibly fix my issue..
A. Chop the spliced in wires to the minimum necessary length.
B. Try replacing my battery as this may be an indication of a failing source voltage.
C. Add an extra ground to the circuit so it's happy with source voltage.
D. Potential faulty light assemblies (least likely)
E. A & C
F. Your input

Thanks for any input ahead of time

Last edited by shadowoffair; 10-13-2016 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 10-13-2016, 02:55 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

It's a known issue that many of these aftermarket lights affect the Z in a negative way. The usual fix is to go back to the original parts. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a different fix for those particular lights.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:21 AM
shadowoffair

Found my fix just needed to do some more searching.
Fix repost:
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/422229-aftermarket-led-fix.html#post7063752
Old 10-18-2016, 12:00 PM
shadowoffair

Just an update. This fix ^^^ is confirmed. My ijdm lights work great as they did before and the car feels and operates as it should at 100%. Only extra advice I can give is make sure all your plugs are connected before you test it out...even the license plate lights or you will get the abs, VDC, slip, combo. Cheers everyone.
The following users liked this post:
ptwinkle (10-19-2018)