Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk/Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 PM
cairo7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk/Hatch

After flipping the bracket on the shocks for the trunk so that it would be flush with the car and not have that little buldge. The trunk doesn't want to fully open, I have to pull up on it while pushing the button, anyone know if I miseed something? They where working fine until I decided to flip the bracket
Old 05-07-2017, 06:23 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Maybe the struts are bad, or the helper springs on either side of the hatch. Did you search for how to repair those?
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM
dcains

If you need new hatch struts, the best ones to get are the StrongArm #4194

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-08-2017, 11:23 PM
BrookZee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same issue on my Z. Have to pull on the hatch while popping it to get it up. The hatch struts were blown so i replaced those but I still have the issue. I got the Z1 MHP upgraded struts and they work well and look nice. I did have a problem with install though. The mounting bracket holes were to small for the screws to go through so I had to drill the holes wider sand everything up and repaint the bracket (not happy about that). Haven't seen anyone else complain about this but you may want to avoid the Z1 struts or you could face similar issues. Since install i notice my helper springs on the side of the hatch appear to need replacing so ill be doing that next. One of the helper springs doesn't come out nearly as far as the other does. If your interested I could take pictures of the helper springs next to a ruler and you could compare to see if yours are also potentially worn. I'm not really sure how to determine if they are worn but in my situation 1 side is clearly not working as well as the other side Ill be ordering some new helper springs soon so i'll update if that fixes the problem also after install.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 AM
dcains

The StrongArm struts don't seem to depend as much on the helper springs, and they really pop the hatch up nicely. They install without the issues you have with the Z1 struts. Plus, you can't beat the $40/pr price, and they have a lifetime warranty, under which you can get a new set for $7 for the shipping. This is actually my second set, and the first lasted almost 5 years. Here's a pic of how high they lift the hatch when you hit the release button, and this was in January when it's somewhat cold here.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:31 PM
BrookZee

Originally Posted by dcains
The StrongArm struts don't seem to depend as much on the helper springs, and they really pop the hatch up nicely. They install without the issues you have with the Z1 struts. Plus, you can't beat the $40/pr price, and they have a lifetime warranty, under which you can get a new set for $7 for the shipping. This is actually my second set, and the first lasted almost 5 years. Here's a pic of how high they lift the hatch when you hit the release button, and this was in January when it's somewhat cold here.

I'm happy with the z1 struts now that i have them installed but in the future i will not buy them again. I got them because the reviews on here indicated they were a great product to replace the oem ones with. Wish i had known about the StrongArm struts. Now that i do know, ill look for them the next time i have to replace the hatch struts.

As for the helper springs: I pulled them off the car today and found out under the black boot the spring was completely bent and the assembly had fallen apart. Should I just get the oem ones from nissan at 33 dollars per or does stongarm make these too?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:04 PM
BrookZee

well I've replaced both the hatch struts and the helper springs and they both definitely needed replacing. however, im still having the same problem. When I hit the hatch popping button, it doesn't release the hatch far enough. I still have to hold the button and pull up at the same time. At least the hatch stays open now though. Any ideas on what else could be wrong? Not sure what my next step is. As mentioned before I replaced the struts with a pair from z1 Motorsports and some helping springs from courtesy Nissan. Im positive I have them installed correctly.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM
dcains

I'm confused. Which struts do you have installed right now? Is the latch mechanism sticking? Maybe it needs some adjustment/lubrication?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 PM
BrookZee

Originally Posted by dcains
I'm confused. Which struts do you have installed right now? Is the latch mechanism sticking? Maybe it needs some adjustment/lubrication?
I have the Z1 MHP struts. they are supposedly slightly stronger than the oem struts. figured they would be perfect for my car considering it has no spoiler, well it has the stock track spoiler but that don't really count. It didn't appear as though the mechanism was sticking but ill check again. Im not sure how to adjust it either. To be completely honest though i haven't really looked at the mechanism much as i knew i needed the struts and helping springs anyways. Ill have to take a look and get back to you.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 PM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

If you havn't already, a simple (and free) solution could be to remove the hatch weight and see if that cures the problem. It did for me.

Yes, there's an extra weight on the hatch for some reason. Peel back the interior plastics on the hatch and you'll see a big black box looking thing held in by a bracket and a couple bolts. Remove all that bcuz racecar.
No negative side effects what so ever.
The following users liked this post:
BrookZee (06-22-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:14 PM
dcains

At some point Nissan stopped installing that silly weight. My '08 didn't have it:

Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 PM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah and mine did, I remember we discussed this in some other thread. Worth a look though to see if it's there.

I can't think of a reason why they would put it there in the first place...
Old 06-22-2017, 07:05 PM
BrookZee

Originally Posted by The Swede
If you havn't already, a simple (and free) solution could be to remove the hatch weight and see if that cures the problem. It did for me.

Yes, there's an extra weight on the hatch for some reason. Peel back the interior plastics on the hatch and you'll see a big black box looking thing held in by a bracket and a couple bolts. Remove all that bcuz racecar.
No negative side effects what so ever.
awesome ill definitely check that out. just moved so car is stored in garage away from me currently so wont get around to it until Sunday but im glad im going into it with a starting place. Thanks guys