Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring a switch for LED sidemarkers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Conceyted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by alphared
Why don't you just use a SPST relay. Connect the ON to the parking light power (for the led, not actual parking lights) and the switching part to the blinker's ground (or power).
Then you can just connect the parking light ground (again for the led) to the switch. If the switch is on, power is supply to the LED's (if you turn on the regular parking light) So if there's power going to the LED, this will turn on the relay and connect the blinker's ground (or power) allowing the blinkers to work.
Not sure what Voltage or current is being supplied to the Led sidemarkers, but you can probably find a small on at Radioshack with the right Voltage & Current rating for about $5.

gnd
|--===RELAY +----Parking Light--Switch
....|
....|--------Blinker's gnd
(don't mind the periods, it's just for spacing, the Relay switch is 2 wires, one to gnd the other to blinker's gnd)

the Relay power goes to the parking light
the Switch on the relay goes to gnd and blinker's gnd
So if parking light is on, Relay switch closes allowing blinkers to work.
I understand it all except the relay part. What is this being used for? Lets say I just have 1 set of wires... parking light positive and ground wire... can i just wire the switch to the ground wire without worrying about a relay?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:29 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Conceyted
I understand it all except the relay part. What is this being used for? Lets say I just have 1 set of wires... parking light positive and ground wire... can i just wire the switch to the ground wire without worrying about a relay?
The relay acts as another switch for the blinking option. From what was posted, it seems that even if the parking light is off the blinker would still work on the LED's. With the relay the blinker for the LED's would only work if the parking light for the LED's are also on. You also mention using 2 switches to control the parking and blinking function of the LED's. The relay will allow you to use only one switch.

This is what I was referring to

It's a 1amp SPST relay (obviously the led current is higher than 1amp, but this gives you an idea)
Old 03-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Conceyted

I wired my switch tonight, yes before I even have my LED sidemarkers. I ordered those as well, but my switch is in the ashtray/coinholder compartment, thanks to dave079 for the help! Everything looks good and is hidden, now i just need to get those led sidemarkers in and see if the switch works correctly. I did what ares suggested, no current used, just took the ground wire and will wire the two led sidemarker grounds together and run them to the switch, that way if they arent grounded they dont light up!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:44 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait... in your relay setup, you have it blinking with the turn signals, but powered by the parking light... I may be missing something(probably am ) but arent you accomplishing the same thing as wiring the LEDs directly to the turn signal power? except your using the parking light power... it would light up only with the turn signals, and only when the parking lights are on.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:07 AM
FriscoZR

I have created a circuit that will take input from parking lights and blinkers and control the led sidemarkers => on with parking lights, blink with blinkers, or alternate with blinkers when parking lights are on.

I thought about trying to sell these but decided that it wasn't worth the effort (time to build vs. cost/value). If anyone is interested in some that I've built or a kit or whatever - PM me.

As far as switching this circuit, you could put a switch in the ground line to accomplish a forced off state.

The only area of concern, as far as police are concerned, is removing all amber reflectors from the front of your car or using leds that are other than amber/yellow. But if you want to be sure, this is the best way, go talk to the local and/or state police to get their take on what you want to do. Ignorance of the law usually doesn't fly.

Hope you enjoy your leds - they're a nice touch to the car.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:54 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

FriscoZR, I'm interested. Sent you a PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:16 AM
FriscoZR

Originally posted by 2004z
FriscoZR, I'm interested. Sent you a PM.
Here's a pic of the boxes. One is needed for each side to keep from having to route wires across the engine bay. The boxes are 1"(w) x 1 7/8"(l) x 3/4"(h).
Attached Thumbnails Wiring a switch for LED sidemarkers-blinker-boxes-3.jpg  
Old 03-21-2004, 09:08 AM
MySunset350Z

couldnt we just set up something using basic logic gates?

i'll see if thats possible later on today.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:13 AM
FriscoZR

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
couldnt we just set up something using basic logic gates?

i'll see if thats possible later on today.
That's basically what these boxes do - it's fairly simple but robust to allow for life in the wheel wells. The boxes also thieve power from the circuits being monitored to power itself so no external connections to power are required. And the boxes are quite small at ~1.4in^3.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:37 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to check for anyone that uses them, are these able to regulate current up to 150mA atleast? I know that isnt much, but just want to be sure, most setups for LEDs would be 20mA, but not luxeon LEDs.

looks good though.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:51 AM
FriscoZR

Originally posted by ares
just to check for anyone that uses them, are these able to regulate current up to 150mA atleast? I know that isnt much, but just want to be sure, most setups for LEDs would be 20mA, but not luxeon LEDs.

looks good though.
They are good to 200ma. If more is needed, that could easily be changed to accomodate much larger currents.