Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Prototype fuel system for the CJM 350z

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:27 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prototype fuel system for the CJM 350z

If any of you recall, for a temporary solution in my car, I built a fuel pump assembly by heavily modifying a 300ZX fuel pump assembly.

Then I cut the stock fuel pipe and used a -6 tube nut fitting under the car, and ran a -6 line up the trans and split it to the fuel rails. Then I used AAM fuel rails, and some HKS 1000cc injectors that we machined to fit. Also I used the AAM return line kit. With this setup and my HKS FCON V Pro I tuned the stock engine to 467rwhp at 9.1 psi. With my base fuel pressure at around 43 psi like every other car with a 1:1 regulator.

The main problem I ran into with this setup which had the ability to supply enough fuel for probably 600-650rwhp... was that I could not run my gas tank very low. The stock tank has no baffles, and my assembly had no catch tank. I also was suspecting that my siphoning setup was not working 100% perfectly, but I didnt know for sure cause I honestly didnt care to moniter this temporary solution.

I figured that since it is taking me so long to get my built engine up and running in the car... that I would start putting some thought into the fuel system again.

I want to build a system that is capable of 1200rwhp. This system would hardly be breaking a sweat at my goal of 700rwhp. But hey, its always nice to know its there.

So my target goals for this fuel system, based on experience, were easy. 1200rwhp capability (obviously), fuel level gauge accuracy, safe for running the tank almost empty, good siphoning of our divided gas tank, quiet, as plug and play as possible, quality and reliability, and I wanted it intended to be used exclusively with the AAM fuel rails.

So in the backround of my mind for the last few months I have been trying to figure out how to do it. I think I have that figured out now... and I will be testing it in my car.

I dont want to say too much about it at the moment... but I will say that it should have no problem meeting all my design criteria (sp?), it will use twin fuel pumps in the tank, it will have a larger feed pipe that is run under the car, and it will actually be pretty damn cost effective if i might say so.

I am not a sponsor of this board... so I hope no one is bothered by this being that I am not trying to sell anything here... I dont have anything to sell. I basically got a little excited about it and wanted to show you guys we are up to in our spare time. We have full fabrication and manufacturing capabilities and we are going to be taking advantage of that.

I will post more pics soon as I put more of it together. Today we made this one off custom fitting, but soon we will have the CNC pumping them out... not exactly like this one tho... this prototype has a -6 fitting attached via a 1/8 NPT thread that has a inside diameter that is a little small (no smaller than the stock fitting, but smaller than I want to use). I only used it for demonstration cause its what I had sitting around and this prototype piece will never be used. The main point of the prototype was getting the geometry right so that we have a quality factory style snap on connection.

Any of you that have built custom fuel systems for the 350z might find the part in this pic pretty interesting tho...

Old 12-07-2004, 10:08 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.... eagerly awaiting an update
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17 PM
002-M-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, looks like this is gonna be an awesome project with the new motor and the design of an entirely new fuel system. My main curiousity lies in how you are gonna solve the fuel tank problem of being able to run it almost dry. Good luck man.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

thanks guys...

i didnt mean exactly DRY tho... i meant safe to run at lower levels then i previously could... more like stock. with my test setup before I wasnt safe to boost the car with the gauge reading below 1/4 tank cause of no baffles or catchs. I just want it to be like how it was with the stock assembly, so that its safe to boost to lower levels.. eventually tho you are low enough in any car that it is not safe because you could lose pressure... so yea.. im not going for a target of running it dry, just more factory like.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Z BOY

yup, the interview in sports z talked about the need to improve the fuel system. will your mod only apply to f/i?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:49 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Old 12-07-2004, 10:50 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally posted by Z BOY
yup, the interview in sports z talked about the need to improve the fuel system. will your mod only apply to f/i?
No it will work for anyone... i mean you can use the same parts and interchange some things around, etc... however... for a NA 350z i see no real need to change the fuel system? A simple set of PE drop in injectors should be all a NA guy need?

The real thing that needs to be changed on all these cars is the engine management.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Nick@StreetRyde

been there... done that but yours look so much nicer than mine lol

-8an fuel lines own me
Old 12-08-2004, 04:08 AM
derek_i

Very nice work. Tapping into the stock equipment is a pita and your adapter would save people a lot of time.

We wanted to eliminate the small factory openings but our solution isn't "plug-n-play" (male-male AN6 threaded and sealed into the stock housing)

-D
Old 12-08-2004, 06:09 AM
t32gzz

Charles, thanks for addressing my primary concern. I am anxious to see the complete assembly with the dual pumps. Will you be modding the factory tank with baffles? I think I should move to Illinois!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

derek, I understand what your saying... the outlet shaft of the factory assembly is equivilent to a -4 inside diameter. Thats pretty small. Also, you know the stock quick fitting that we replaced actually got as small as a -3 on the inside.

SGP Racing was able to cram over 600rwhp thru this stock assembly... so with our abilility to get rid of the largest (visable) restriction (who knows whats inside the plastic) I feel completely confident with it... of couse only half of the fuel has to get pumped thru what you see in the pics... the second fuel pump is not being forced to work thru the same -6.... i actually have twin -6 from the pumps to a -8 main feed... then splits again to twin -6 one to each AAM rail and then from there you use the AAM return kit with the return fed to the drivers side.

t32gzz: The idea I came up with is really cool, cant wait to show you... just need a few more days to play with some stuff around here... but no we do not need to modify or remove the fuel tank for this.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:45 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

tommarow i will have the special o-rings we are gonna use on the fitting... they are slightly different size then whats in there now so brandon can take some measurements and program the CNC then.. the fitting uses twin mil-spec viton o-rings with a snug fit. hopefully testing will show no swelling or detoriation from use. from what I could find on charts for selecting o-ring flavors... viton seemed the best choice for gasoline... so i took it the extra step and said why not mil-spec viton... it only cost 6 bucks for a pack of 25 anyway.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I like the fitting.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:59 PM
ZxRage

Nice setup. One question, so when you say that you will have dual fuel pumps, are both of them located inside the fuel tank? I would think a good setup would be to install two fuel pumps with having one on each side of the tank(in the stock passenger and a new one on the drivers side). Also, are you planning on only using one fuel regulator for both pumps?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:08 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Correct there is a pump on the drivers side of the tank also. The only difficult part of this was figuring out if the siphoning is going to work well like this, but I am almost positive that I have it all worked out and that it will work great. As usual, my car will be the test platform... and I will be bench testing the assemblies also.

I am planning on just one regulator.

-Charles
Old 12-08-2004, 03:29 PM
350Now

very nice. Thanks for sharing Charles.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM
bullseye

Two -6 lines into one -8, and then back to two -6's?

You do realize the -8 will be a choke-point, as it will not have the same flow capacity as two -6's. Could you use a -10 line instead of the -8? The -10 would actually flow more than the capacity of two -6's.

Maybe it doesn't matter...? My 2 cents.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:54 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i feel that a -8 is large enough. a -10 is starting to get a little crazy and would be harder to mount under the car.

Keep in mind that even tho we have a -6 fitting off the pump, doesnt mean that the -6 is the smallest point in the system. The outlet of the stock pump assembly is a -4 size ID... 4/16 or 1/4"... actually its smaller (bout .210" if i recall). So the -8 is already more than twice the diameter of the fuel pump... twice the diameter of a tube has a lot more than twice the flow capacity of 2 tube of half the diameter. Once again, SGP racing proved the stock fuel pump assembly good for over 600rwhp with an upgraded pump... the restriction is starting before I ever put a -6 on there.

so your right... it doesnt matter at all it will be all good.

Last edited by phunk; 12-08-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:29 PM
bullseye

Originally posted by phunk
i feel that a -8 is large enough. a -10 is starting to get a little crazy and would be harder to mount under the car.... the restriction is starting before I ever put a -6 on there.

so your right... it doesnt matter at all it will be all good.
Oh I see. You're quite right. Can you forgive me for ever doubting you?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:32 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

funny you say that... im pretty sensitive to criticism

Quick Reply: Prototype fuel system for the CJM 350z