Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Who Has Installed A FI Kit On A Stock Bottom End And NOT Had Engine Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:00 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudy
LOTS of ppl with stuff like Vortechs, APS TT's, Turbonetics, that have kept it all under 9psi will have no problems with blowing their engine. Its the stupid people that boost over 11psi and dont upgrade a single engine part that blow.

I have only heard of people blowing their motors at stock boost or slighty above....not these "stupid people" who have boosting over 11psi....
I took some safety precautions, don't consider myself stupid, and still managed to blow my engine...all while driving conservatively at the time!

TODD
Old 03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
I have only heard of people blowing their motors at stock boost or slighty above....not these "stupid people" who have boosting over 11psi....
I took some safety precautions, don't consider myself stupid, and still managed to blow my engine...all while driving conservatively at the time!

TODD
I agree, there are lots of people running Greddy, PE, and Vortech kits at stockish boost levels that have blown their engines....many of them very knowledgable on Forced Induction.

No need to call people "stupid".
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 PM
cloudy

I dont understand how people can blow engines on some stock boost... something has to be done wrong... And i dont mean people who boost over 11psi and build up their motor. If you boost at 12+psi and plan at keeping it at that boost with stock internals, then i would consider you dumb.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:18 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Wink

Originally Posted by cloudy
I dont understand how people can blow engines on some stock boost... something has to be done wrong... And i dont mean people who boost over 11psi and build up their motor. If you boost at 12+psi and plan at keeping it at that boost with stock internals, then i would consider you dumb.
this has been covered..SEVERAL times on this forum...

we are all playing on the edge here with forced induxtion on a naturally aspirated production car... you can take precautions, etc, etc..but with such weak internal, weak fuel system, and even more, a high compression ratio...the motor can only take so much

those who have gone longer without a blowup...great tune, maybe...lucky--> probably...several schools of thought..tolerances in these mass produced motors vary, some more tolerable to the abuse of forced induction..either way, the best precaution..the smartest thing to do (but the most costly) is to rebuild the motor before pushing the envelope

no one wants to hear this--i didn't..i learned////woulda coulda shoulda

TODD
Old 03-25-2005, 05:29 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the APS kit speaks for the ability of these engines to make power reliably. The APS plug and play harness eliminates the possibility of poor wiring causing problems, and it comes pretuned and setup for 425-450 or more rwhp taking the tuning factor out also. Basically it leaves you little room to screw up and thats probably why no one is blowing up with APS kits.

It takes a fine understanding of what exactly is going on in there for someone to take the other kits to higher HP and not have problems. I take 4-6 calls a day from people just calling to ask questions about the 350z... and I cannot help be but alarmed at how many people who are building their own cars or shop workers call me and obviously have no idea WTF is going on.

I recommend the APS kit to people all the time... its no miracle kit but the fact is they are taking people to the power they want without leaving them all the room in the world to screw it up.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:02 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

phunk. How much would you charge to install/tune my STillen if I flew you out for a day?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:15 PM
westpak
SFZCC

7 months and 8K miles with Greddy TT kit, currently running 8.5 pounds and loving it.

You have to have things in place to take care of timing fuel and monitor your AF.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:20 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never installed a Stillen SC so I am not sure how long it takes? I would need access to a very good tool set and a dyno! Not sure if it would really work out well or not.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:22 PM
g35twinturbo

Originally Posted by phunk
i have never installed a Stillen SC so I am not sure how long it takes? I would need access to a very good tool set and a dyno! Not sure if it would really work out well or not.

Install isnt too hard . However the kit cannot be tuned.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:30 AM
350Now

Running the Greddy TT for about 14 months and have about 15K miles on the TT. However currently on stock boost since I haven't got around to the fuel system, but have no problem and the car runs fine on weak Cali 91 Octane.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:38 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ATI Procharger which now has about 9k miles on it and running the 9 psi pulley. No problems whatsoever.

I have had the TS ECU flash for FI to retard timing. I have the AAM fuel system (rails, pump, injectors).
Old 03-26-2005, 07:27 AM
EnthuZiast

Phunk they rate the instal at 8-10 hours. The reason I would go to lengths to get you out here is because I know I can trust your work.

I dont even know who I can "really trust" with my tune out here. Everyone seems to be an expert but the Z seems to be a challenge they don't know enough about.

WHen a shop tells me "Its almost impossible to blow a Z engine with a Greddy TT" or "You could run over 10lbs of boost with NO PROBLEMS" I get a little worried.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:46 AM
cloudy

Enthuziast, i would take it to Intense motorsports if you are that worried. Considering all they usually do is build up engines, and install TTs, and they just installed a Greddy TT on a G35, and have installed other SC's before, iam pretty sure they can do it. Their rate is $100 an hour, but good work.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:19 PM
HankVQ

"I dont even know who I can "really trust" with my tune out here. Everyone seems to be an expert but the Z seems to be a challenge they don't know enough about."(Enthuziast)

The Stillen Supercharger Comes with a "black box" EMS which is already tuned and cannot be changed. Downside is you have to get some other sort of engine management if you wanted to mod the kit beyond stage 3. The upside however is that the install should be pretty straightforward and no tuning means less chance of engine failure.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:09 PM
EnthuZiast

Hank thank you! I did not know that. Does that mean I should just take it to teh lowest bidder IYO?

Cloudy where is Intense? websight link?
Old 03-26-2005, 06:14 PM
EnthuZiast

Do you guys recommend getting a WB02 sensor with the Stillen?
Old 03-26-2005, 07:56 PM
cloudy

They are located off the Mesa Drive on the US-60.
Here is their site. http://www.i-m-racing.com
Call and ask for Darren.

-Silas
Old 03-27-2005, 01:16 PM
EnthuZiast

Thanks Cloudy!
Old 03-27-2005, 02:13 PM
cloudy

Let me know how it goes after u call
Old 03-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by EnthuZiast
Do you guys recommend getting a WB02 sensor with the Stillen?
I'd recommend a wideband O2 SENSOR on any F/I car.

Quick Reply: Who Has Installed A FI Kit On A Stock Bottom End And NOT Had Engine Problems?