Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

update on electric supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 10:16 AM
franklinz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

robl45 i thank you, because the next batch of folks that want to blow 300 dollars on a performance part will think twice after reading this thread and come to the conclusion that it is a pos. if you want horsepower in the way of psi, go turbo, supercharger or bust!!
ive read about eram about 2 years ago, and i did some extensive research,and came to the conclusion that nothing beatsreal forced induction, whether it be belt driven, or spent exhaust.
but on the same hand, saab is using electric MOTORS (not an electric supercharger, or turbo) on the center shafts of their turbos to spool it up quickly on lower rpms, but once its spooled up to a proper speed (high speed) guess who takes over? that good ol' exhaust stream we love so much.
i say in another 5 years well see a bigger version of eram, but it will cost thousands of dollars, and be a hell of alot more powerfull than these things.
btw ive got some erams specially developed for sucking out the exhaust faster, making your engine suck in even more air. muahahahaha!!!! any takers??
franklinz
Old 12-24-2002, 10:20 AM
robl45

ya know, I don't understand why people insist on comparing a 600 dollar item to a turbo or supercharger kit that costs 3000+

This is like comparing a 350Z to a Ferrari. If the thing does 1psi and translates into 10 horsepower, then guess what? your getting more for your buck then that take off your bumper cold air intake that costs about the same.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:31 AM
franklinz

http://www.hybridz.org/cgi-bin/ultim...;f=16;t=000628 when your done, do some searching on that site. very informative. spend 300 dollars elsewhere, please id hate for you to kick yourself in the butt because you believe in this thing, and you try it out and its a total waste.
franklinz

Last edited by franklinz; 12-24-2002 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:44 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
This concept could work, but not by using fans. If you used an electric motor to turn a centrifugal supercharger, it would definitely work. But, turning that electric motor would take a lot of power which would just stress your alternator which in turn would just put strain on your motor. I don't know how the losses would compare to a belt driven supercharger, but I would be willing to bet they would be equal if not greater.
EXACTLY! Nothing comes for free. Whether you use mechanical energy directly to operate an air pump (i.e. supercharger), or turn the mechanical energy to electrical, then back to mechanical (i.e. electric supercharger), the same rules apply, except that you will have some energy lost in the form of heat in the latter case (alternators and electric motors are not 100% efficient).

This could theoretically work, of course, but the amount of energy you'd need would probably require a heavy-duty alternator and in the end it would be better to just use a real supercharger. (And as someone pointed out, fans create airflow but not pressure; you'd need a proper screw-type or other air pump as used in a mechanical SC.)
Old 12-24-2002, 10:57 AM
tim_n/a

Originally posted by robl45
claims on the site 1psi for the eram, 1.7psi for the supereram, you don't think the supereram does anymore thant he eram?

1.7 psi? Can we translate that it to "take away 0.5psi vacuum and put on 1.2psi postive" It's not far away from what I estimated.

Don't listen to those who tell you this thing don't work while they never tried. Would you take advice about how to fix car from guys who never open their engine hood?
Old 12-24-2002, 11:19 AM
tim_n/a

Default just tell me one thing

Originally posted by franklinz
http://www.hybridz.org/cgi-bin/ultim...;f=16;t=000628 when your done, do some searching on that site. very informative. spend 300 dollars elsewhere, please id hate for you to kick yourself in the butt because you believe in this thing, and you try it out and its a total waste.
franklinz

When this forums first opened, I post about my happy experience with eRAM, and I got lots reply like this.
" well, this may work, but $300 for 10-15hp is not worth it, spend the money somewhere else...."
I kept my mouth shut since $300 is some money and it could be used somewhere else.
But several month past, I haven't seen many good idea yet. Injen CAI is a good one for around $300 and it probably give you 5hp. No exhaust system under $1000 can give you anything more than 10hp. ppl spend hundreds on grounding system that I made it work with few feet of copper wire.....
So here you are again, talking about somewhere else. OK, just tell me one place these guys can go for 10 more hp on their car; for this kind of money. Or you know what you should do.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:33 AM
franklinz

take 300 dollars put in savings acount, for turbos
franklinz
Old 12-24-2002, 11:56 AM
tim_n/a

take 300 dollars put in savings acount, for turbos
franklinz

And as today's interest rate, in about 1000 years you will have $7000 you needed for your turbo kit.

Live long and prosper
Old 12-24-2002, 11:58 AM
robl45

well I read the other link posted here and I still don't get it, 300 isn't worth it for 10 horsepower, but 300 is worth it for 5 horsepower for a CAI? Do the makers of these things include a free bag of dope? That just doesn't make sense. 300 dollars and 10 or 300 dollars and 5. I'll take 300 and 10.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:05 PM
rouxeny

Man, somebody please buy this guy a kit with the provision that if he sees no dyno improvement, he returns double the investment.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Red350Z

Well, with all this craze about Eram, I decided I better get a piece of the market. My newest kit, "Z-ram Force" has shown dyno gains of over 400 h.p. and is 50 state legal!! I'm offering the kit to my fellow forum members for a low $30, just a fraction you might pay for a turbo or supercharger. Currently available in Silver and Chrome finishes, it's sure to turn heads while satisfying all of your power needs!! Available options include "Thrust-doubling afterburner", and a mesh intake cover to keep those pesky birds out of your Z-ram!! Act now!! Limited time only.
Attached Thumbnails update on electric supercharger-eramz.jpg  
Old 12-28-2002, 10:39 PM
franklinz

Old 10-18-2003, 12:57 PM
cchang20124

ok jsut tell me one thing does this e ram really give at least 10 hp and cost 300 dollars? and if it does then giv me a decent site wit dyno runs to prove it and thats the end of that
Old 10-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Linh811

red350z,

do you take out of state personal checks?

Old 10-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, wow, unbelievable. please tell me nobody bought these things, and especially for 600 bucks!?!? thats outrageous, but i guess a "sucker" is born every second. it makes it worst because you guys are supposed to be z owners, not honduh boys, do some research, and read up on a product before you spend money on it!!! btw ive got an electric turbocharger ill sell yall for 2500 bucks, guaranteed to produce 20 extra horsepowha!
franklinz
http://photos.yahoo.com/franklinz2003
Wait a minute. Maybe 1 LIZARD power but not HP!!!
Attached Thumbnails update on electric supercharger-dsc00446.jpg  
Old 10-18-2003, 05:02 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ares you are missing the point!

Originally posted by ares
wait, it only comes on during full throttle? so for the rest of the time you have a huge obstruction in your intake? or is there a design part that Im missing?

sorry dude, I guess youll have to spend 600$ to learn if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. cant say we didnt try.

You are missing the point.

When you are NOT at full throttle the blades work like the Tornado product. They swirl the air and give you power!

When you hit full throttle, the fan comes on and you get more power!

You see? The mere PRESENCE of fan blades is what adds power, rotating or not!

Sheesh, you can be really slow some times.

<< just in case this is NOT obvious, I am kidding!!!!>>
Old 10-18-2003, 08:57 PM
ESP350Z

lets put this topic to bed...what I dont understand is how people will spend 30k on a car, and then all the sudden go cheap on mods... i hope all you e-ramers like how your headlights dim at WOT....dont even try to tell my that they dont...
-ESP
Old 10-19-2003, 04:11 PM
mpol99

This thread is hillarious...... LOL

Wow, what's even funnier is that some jacka$ses will actually get the damn thing....... LOL
Old 10-20-2003, 09:39 AM
mpol99

Talking

hmmmm
Attached Thumbnails update on electric supercharger-101smart.jpg  
Old 10-20-2003, 10:09 AM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so the fan comes on at WOT. So for that instance, or 14 seconds or whatever it COULD make power. we dont have any hard evidence to prove or disprove it. But the fact still remains. If the fan isnt spinning i.e. not pushing more air through the intake, its being restrictive to the airflow, and thus restricting power. I dont know about you, but im not going to be driving around at WOT all the time. I'd like to see a linear power improvement, and this product is just silly. Anyone with half a brain would see right through this fallacy.

Quick Reply: update on electric supercharger