Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AEBS Stroker kit with Greddy TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:24 AM
cquence 350 [Z]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEBS Stroker kit with Greddy TT

I was thinking, what if I get the AEBS stroker kit to go along with my Greddy TT. How will that match up, and how much am I going to spend on the whole process. Has anyone done the stroker kit with their TT setup? And if I was to get the stroker kit, will I need any other parts to buy?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:15 AM
Machupo

IIRC mazzoo is doing this (although, different TT, i think) -- hasn't finished the build yet (AEBS portion is done though)...

i'd imagine $25k on the engine/TT/accessories/labor&tuning alone...
Old 04-20-2005, 06:20 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stroker kit is about $8000, so its significnatly more expensive that just buying pistons, rods, studs, etc. The power gains should be huge, but depending on your goals....650whp or less, it is probably overkill.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Enron Exec

Originally Posted by cquence 350 [Z]
I was thinking, what if I get the AEBS stroker kit to go along with my Greddy TT. How will that match up, and how much am I going to spend on the whole process. Has anyone done the stroker kit with their TT setup? And if I was to get the stroker kit, will I need any other parts to buy?
A stroker kit also requires a standalone ECU, custom wiring harnesses, and alot of time on a dyno. That should be at least another 6000 minimum w/o extra sensors and harnesses.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Machupo

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
A stroker kit also requires a standalone ECU, custom wiring harnesses, and alot of time on a dyno. That should be at least another 6000 minimum w/o extra sensors and harnesses.
holy hell!!! i knew it was a lot, but didn't realize it was quite that much... now i definately can't wait until mazzoo's car is done!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:33 PM
mazzoo

If I had to do it again I don't know if I would do the stroker kit. The HP gains should be huge but who really needs 1000+ HP? My goal was to build the strongest motor I could. I wanted a motor that could take 1000 HP with no problem. This way I could run with about 650HP to 700HP and not worry as much about the motor. The stroker kit makes it much easer to make 700HP then with a stock block with "pistons, rods, studs, etc". To put it in simple terms, the motor will not have to work as hard to make the power.

The shear cost involved with this kind of build is what sucks. There is close to 50K invested just in my motor. Let me assure you I did not start out thinking I would put that kind of money into it. You start finding yourself saying things like "Hell I spent this much already what is another $1000". This is how it started for me, I got the turbo kit but I wanted to do something different. I found the stroker kit so I got that. I now have over 10K in the motor. I started thinking what kind of ECU will I need to use. I found an ECU called the Autronic but that thing was another 5K. Then I thought "Well now I have a fully built block I should fully build the heads" So then I got the Light Speed Performance stage 3 headwork and new springs, valves, and cams. Then I thought about the oil pump. Seeing as oil is the live blood of the motor I got the NISMO oil pump. Then as I add all the other little stuff I found I spent more then I will ever tell my soon to be wife.

The point is:
If you want to do it then you must know it will always cost way more then you think.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:49 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I want to spend so much money on the engine - what if you blew it. You'd lose basically 20k or more worth of parts and labor. The engine is gonna give up eventually someday unless it somehow is blessed to live forever

1000hp doesn't do much good unless you have some form of AWD

650whp should be enough or more than anyone wants on their Z without it being a track only car
Old 04-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Machupo

true, but he's going to be the only guy running around with a Nissan 430Z

i'm finding that the build up process is straining me a bit too (i probably don't have anywhere near your financial resources, mazzoo) -- i got great deals everywhere, it's just the amount of $$$ that hurts a bit... $2k on a carbon clutch, $2k on tomei cams/springs straight from japan, $3k on forged bits, $7k on a TT, probably another $6k or so in other miscellania and labor... but yeah, when you love it, you really can justify anything to yourself...

now, if my better half ever finds out, i'm dead meat!
Old 04-23-2005, 07:32 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by sentry65
650whp should be enough or more than anyone wants on their Z without it being a track only car
Why would you even want that much power on a track? Having that much power on the track is almost pointless. All you would do it spend time trying not to spin tires and keep control of the car. For powering out of corners you would have to cut power drasticly. The only good part would be if you had a long straight. 650rwhp is crazy power that should be enough for anyboyd, unless you are crazy and have a death wish .
Old 04-23-2005, 02:51 PM
mazzoo

Originally Posted by thawk408
Why would you even want that much power on a track? Having that much power on the track is almost pointless. All you would do it spend time trying not to spin tires and keep control of the car. For powering out of corners you would have to cut power drasticly. The only good part would be if you had a long straight. 650rwhp is crazy power that should be enough for anyboyd, unless you are crazy and have a death wish .

Well I don't have a death wish. That is unless my girl finds out how much I have spent on the car. I will be driving around on low boost at about 650HP. Thats the nice thing about the motor. I can have the same power with much lower boost then the other 350's running high boost. It is my hope the motor will last because I am not pushing it to its max all the time. Who knows it could sink a sleave or drop a valve just in the brake in time. Thats what sucks about building any motor.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Machupo

mazzoo -- just noticed on your page that we'll have the same cams, what do you think of 'em? i hope they like the aps tt
Old 04-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mazzoo...you should speak to Greg at Injected Performance. He just installed his stroker kit, and is working on the ECU project right now. I think he can point you in the direction of a good solution for you....none of which are cheap...unfortunately. The Magnetti Merrelli ECU setup they are using can use drive by wire, and most of the stock sensors. I've seen the tuning software, and its unbelievably detailed...you can control everything with it.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:53 PM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

I am guessing Mazzoo is using the SM4. It is the only other "cheap" ECU that will run drive by wire. If you use the SM2 you have to change it to a throttle cable. I run the SM2 in my Supra and it is great for what I need. One of the US Distributors for Autronic is trying the new Magnetti Mirelli ECU in my car Z. If you would rather switch to it I will have a very good base map for you as we will be running the same size motor but with different heads and a different turbo setup. At least something to get you started.

For people thinking about spending 8-10k on the AEBS motor I would definately wait till Mazzoo or I get it running. We have already found a lot of flaws in it, that if weren't addressed before starting it up, would cause a 10k motor to be a 10k paper weight. Hopefully we have found all the flaws... The Z should be started this week as it was put back on the lift this morning straight from HIN in Charlotte. I should know something pretty soon.

-Greg

Last edited by InjectedPerf; 04-25-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:01 PM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

As far as why someone would need that much power it is basically bragging rights, a death wish, or to be extremely different. From the reaction of most people at the HIN show is that it is definately different. We placed a single turbo right where the stock airbox goes as well as cut out the rear strut bar. I don't think anyone has done that yet. With hp, I have ridden in Zs that only have the Greddy TT kit and they blew the tires off through the first three gears. Add 700+ more horsepower and my car will never move. We are just trying something new and the 4.3L is definately different. With the size turbo that we decided on for the car, I needed a lot more displacement to spool it up.

-Greg
Old 04-25-2005, 02:45 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

so another words, dont get it unless you really want to spend big money on more parts to go along with the stroker kit? I was thinking about getting it just for reliablity issues. I wanted a strong motor that will last pushing 600+ whp easily. I am sure it will be less stressful with the stroker kit pushing out 600+ whp rather than building up our stock blocks and pushing 600+ whp.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:03 PM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Originally Posted by mazzoo
Well I don't have a death wish. That is unless my girl finds out how much I have spent on the car. I will be driving around on low boost at about 650HP. Thats the nice thing about the motor. I can have the same power with much lower boost then the other 350's running high boost. It is my hope the motor will last because I am not pushing it to its max all the time. Who knows it could sink a sleave or drop a valve just in the brake in time. Thats what sucks about building any motor.
LOL...low boost and 650whp in the same sentence. Mazzoo great work so far. your car is sick and i don't think anyone will come close.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:21 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by nismo33
LOL...low boost and 650whp in the same sentence. Mazzoo great work so far. your car is sick and i don't think anyone will come close.
cubic inches + cubic dollars = fun fun fun
Old 04-25-2005, 08:32 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

okay, if I want to get the AEBS stroker kit, what other parts do I have to get in order for it to work and be reliable? Do I really need a new ECU or any headwork done. I am really considering going with the stroker kit. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably at least

new injectors
new fuel pump
new ECM
Old 05-18-2005, 08:14 AM
mbq62

What if I wanted to go with the stroker kit but a N/A setup. How much would this cost?

Quick Reply: AEBS Stroker kit with Greddy TT