Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Carrillo rods

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 03:23 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Carrillo rods

I ordered some Pauter rods and received Carrillo rods. I contacted Carrillo and they said that the rods should hold the power I plan on running(400-550whp).
Anyways, before I stick with these rods and install them I would like to get some input from you guys.
Some specific info:

Weights
Total - 487
Rotating - 359
Reciprocating - 128
Bolts - 3/8 sps-wmc
Forged "A" beam rods

The rods look beefier than stock but not by much. They do seem to be pretty light weight, so that may be a plus.

So my questions are:
Is Carrillo a good brand?
Is there anyone with Carrillo rods(any motor)?

I'd like to compare the Carrillo rods with some other manufacturers to see where they stand in performance. Weights,types of metal,and strengths of other rods would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF! I would return them. If you ordered pauter and they sent you carrillo that is their fault. If they don't want to let you return them, I would call your credit card company and have them do a charge back (assuming you used a cc). I always buy with cc's because this option.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:16 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

make sure they are not the carrillo a-beam--they are a lightweight--weaker rod!!

the h-beams should be just as beefy as the pauter--i would still go pauter

T
ODD
Old 05-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Machupo

yeah, that's total BS -- if you ordered pauter and they sent carrillo, what's to say that they didn't get the dish wrong or overbore size wrong?

i would be extremely wary of running anything i didn't specifically order in my engine -- and make them pay return shipping as well !!!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Machupo

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
make sure they are not the carrillo a-beam--they are a lightweight--weaker rod!!

the h-beams should be just as beefy as the pauter--i would still go pauter

T
ODD
+1!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:21 PM
tinman

i'm using Carrillo H-beam in my built motor.they're good for 1000hp+.
if i remember right,there's a drag Z running 1500hp used Carrillo's.
i believe the A-beam only good up to around 600-650hp.
Carrllio been around for a long time.it's a good brand.
Attached Thumbnails Carrillo rods-rod1.jpg   Carrillo rods-rod2.jpg  
Old 05-06-2005, 06:48 PM
t32gzz

The brand is not the issue, it is the A beam that is the issue. Most likely the Carillo A beams can handle 500whp, but I would not put an A beam rod in a car running high boost. Return them or dispute the charge. Get the Pauters. The Carillo H beams are a great rod, but you will pay alot more for them and most do not consider them superior to Pauter.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:44 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by tinman
i'm using Carrillo H-beam in my built motor.they're good for 1000hp+.
if i remember right,there's a drag Z running 1500hp used Carrillo's.
i believe the A-beam only good up to around 600-650hp.
Carrllio been around for a long time.it's a good brand.

the topic of carrillo a beam rods has been discussed in the past...it even states on their own website--the a beam rod is a more "econimical" rod used for moderate builds--definately not what you want to put in a 400+HP motor!!!
i had a set of these in my posession, sent them back and got pauter rods..the a beams are not even much larger in size than the stock vq35 rods!

TODD
Old 05-07-2005, 08:41 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
the topic of carrillo a beam rods has been discussed in the past...it even states on their own website--the a beam rod is a more "econimical" rod used for moderate builds--definately not what you want to put in a 400+HP motor!!!
i had a set of these in my posession, sent them back and got pauter rods..the a beams are not even much larger in size than the stock vq35 rods!

TODD
They probably sent Weslutes the same rods you sent back
Old 05-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Lorca@Z1

I will be using the A-beams based on my conversations with Carrillo and because I want the rotating assembly to be as light as possible. That being said, Carrillo has definately stated that the A-beams are not "rated" for more than 450.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:36 PM
weslutes

Thanks for all of your input.
I think the Carrillo "A" rods might be ok for my setup. 10 pounds of boost & 75 shot should get a resonable 450whp, so I'd feel safe running "A" rods now. However, I know my addiction to hp & I'm just a little concerned that I may THINK I need another 100 hp in the future.

The Carrillo "A" rods are pretty light though. Each rod is almost 100 grams lighter than the Crower rods.Thats almost 1.5 pounds lighter than the Crower setup.

You guys know how heavy the Pauters are?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:58 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by weslutes
Thanks for all of your input.
I think the Carrillo "A" rods might be ok for my setup. 10 pounds of boost & 75 shot should get a resonable 450whp, so I'd feel safe running "A" rods now. However, I know my addiction to hp & I'm just a little concerned that I may THINK I need another 100 hp in the future.

The Carrillo "A" rods are pretty light though. Each rod is almost 100 grams lighter than the Crower rods.Thats almost 1.5 pounds lighter than the Crower setup.

You guys know how heavy the Pauters are?

what the hell are you talking about (imagine me slapping you through the computer so you can come to your senses)????

you are really gonna invest all of the time and money in a rebuild, put in a beams--"yah, they'll do for now" and stick with 10psi...come on, who are you kidding

not trying to be an a$$ (even though i most likely am coming across that way)..just, stop lying to yourself, get an h-beam rod..in the whole FI game, saving weight on the rotating assembly in exchange for a weaker rod is assinine!

no, i don't know the weight of the pauter rods, i just had to get back to you on your theoretical compromise for an a-beam---i tried to justify the same thing to myself, then i came to my senses, checked myself, and got beefy pauters...

found this off the carrillo website

Why are Pro-A rods less expensive than the H-Beam rods?

The difference lies in our manufacturing process. All Carrillo Connecting rods are manufactured in our facility in San Clemente, California. Both parts start out with the same forging; a proprietary chrome/nickel/vanadium alloy, denoted specifically as Carrilloloy, a steel mixture. The difference is that an A-Beam requires approximately 1/5th less machine time. Furthermore, we manufacture Pro-A only in large quantities to make it more cost effective. Since Carrillo Pro-A Connecting rods are offered only in limited part numbers with stock dimensions and H-bolts, labor costs are reduced as well.

Are Carrillo Pro-A rods as strong as Carrillo H-Beam rods?

We make the strongest H-Beam connecting rod for high performance applications onthe market. The Carrillo Pro-A rod is designed for less demanding and more economically oriented applications."

(that is there way of saying...no, they are not nearly as strong)

Last edited by 350zDCalb; 05-07-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:54 PM
AxionF117

Carrillo Rods are some of the best made period. The H beam being better obviously.

In the supra world the H-beams rods are used for motors with 1k++hp. I'll leave it at that.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:46 PM
cloudy

I say u complain.. get your pauter rods.. then throw those carillo rods at their face.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:28 AM
carlosG

I think more important than losing your sleep of which is better you should worry in getting a good tunig cuz other wise it wont matter the rod you will blow your engine. I personally ordered carrillo H rods custom specs.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:46 AM
AxionF117

why would you need H-Beam rods on a 450hp motor? Its complete overkill.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:02 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by AxionF117

there is no such thing as overkill when you are building a strong FI'd motor!!!
sooooo much better to be safe than sorry...explain to me the benefit of going with a lighter rod..hmmmm? do you really think that you would notice a difference in acceleration or power with a slightly lighter rotating assembly???

you won't!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:29 AM
cloudy

Originally Posted by AxionF117
Are you kidding me? That was just stupid man.... So your telling me that you should buy the weaker rod because you are not useing it to its max yet? What if he decides to go more? And then he has to buy new rods and install them.... Why not just get the good ones while hes doing all the trouble?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:31 PM
cjb80

I talked to corrillo on the phone they said they have A beam rods running in 4 cylinder motors making over 900 hp. My quick overview of the thread gives me the impression that there are alot of arm chair tuners in here....... It's all in the tune, and if you have a screwy tune with H beams or A beams they will both break.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Gman2004

The point here is that this guy ordered pauter and they sent carrillo.

Are you hiding something from us? Why are you even considering keeping these things? It seems like you are having a hard time returning these things for whatever reason and you are just going use them. If there is nothing under the surface here, then take a stand and make them take the f'ing rods back for a full refund or exchange. Pull out your reciept and tell them you don't see carrillo anywhere on the paper..................

Last edited by Gman2004; 05-08-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Carrillo rods