Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

~ 400 RWHP Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 PM
zman1910

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet...if your anything like me you must be very excited.... ...Im actually in Bradenton, FL...Tuarran and I are planning on meeting up once our kits are done and make some APS vs. Turbonetics videos.....you should join us!!

Last edited by zman1910; 06-01-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:28 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by gq_626

In my opinion, the biggest drawbacks to the APS are as follows:
An Interesting perspective - I believe that for most guys who want a very safe and reliable 400 WHP that the APS twin turbo system is the obvious choice.

1) Lack of good tuning options. Must be taken to a Unichip/APS dealer for tuning. Some of the best tuners in the country are not APS/Unichip dealers, and will be unable to tune this car.
I see this an an advantage not a disadvantage - if the tuner has Unichip tuning software this means in nearly all cases (if not all cases) that the dyno shop has a true load based dyno and thorough mapping experience - thorough tuning experience does make a huge difference to both power and engine reliability.

Before buying the kit, just make sure you have a good tuner nearby, that can tune the Unchip
Wrong, the APS twin turbo system is delivered with very safe tuning maps (plug and play) so unless a guy is going to mod the engine extensively, lower comp, bigger cams, etc, etc, there is simply no need to tune the engine as APS techs have developed and tested this tuning data on both 91 and 93 octane fuel, all good.

2) Internal wastegates can only boost 10-12psi without significant upgrades and cost. (keep this mind if you plan on building your motor, and running higher boost levels)
The APS twin turbo system is designed to run 8 to 8.5 PSI out of the box and the APS fuel system can support up to 12 PSI out of the box, (without any additional fuel system hardware) no other high quality mass production twin turbo system offers such flexibility in terms of power increase/boost increase.

The APS twin turbo system can deliver 500 WHP with just the addition of APS test pipes, cat back system, and with additional computer tuning deliver approx 11.5 to 12 PSI of boost pressure. You see the APS fuel system is perfectly matched to the boost control system supplied in the APS trwin turbo system, as you would expect from a highly engineered and developed twin turbo system.

For those customers that want even higher power a complete thoroughly engineered turn key high power package developed by APS will be available in the near future - this APS package is simply added to the current APS twin turbo system, recommended engine specs will be provided by APS.

3) Dealers have VERY limited inventory...meaning most have none.
Most of the larger APS dealers have stock or stock in transit - as with any business it's always possible to run out of stock from time to time.

Peter
Old 06-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APS

Wrong, the APS twin turbo system is delivered with very safe tuning maps (plug and play) so unless a guy is going to mod the engine extensively, lower comp, bigger cams, etc, etc, there is simply no need to tune the engine as APS techs have developed and tested this tuning data on both 91 and 93 octane fuel, all good.

The APS twin turbo system is designed to run 8 to 8.5 PSI out of the box and the APS fuel system can support up to 12 PSI out of the box, (without any additional fuel system hardware) no other high quality mass production twin turbo system offers such flexibility in terms of power increase/boost increase.

Peter
Peter, I love you to death...and you always have a rebutal to any of my points that dont perfectly mate with your corporate objectives.

Many of the APS kits run very rich on our cars....you and I have both seen the dynos that have been posted. Some are excellent, and some need some tweaking. I would never want to run a car with 10 or 10.5:1 A/F ratios, for fear of washing out the rings, not to mentioned the lack of crisp throttle respone, and poor fuel economy....that result from richer than ideal mixtures. So what I am suggesting is that one should check to insure there is a local tuner in their area, or else you may be unable to fine tune the kit. We have found...as I am sure you have as well...that every car's ECU is in a different state of long term and short term fuel trend....and depending on the additional mods on the car, the A/F's of two cars will never be the same....out of the box.

Don't you agree?

Also, with an external wastegate design, such as the Greddy kit, changing wastegates springs, and hence, base boost pressure, is as simple as $40 in parts, and poping off the wastgates...swapping springs. Much more cost effective, and faster. And even with 5.6psi springs, people are able to boost 20psi with a simple boost controller, without even changing the springs. I dont recommend this, since boost controllers tend to work best at no more than twice the base boost pressure.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:08 PM
APS
Banned

Peter, I love you to death...and you always have a rebutal to any of my points that dont perfectly mate with your corporate objectives.
Well of course, as you always assume what you're saying is always technically correct. I love you to death also and it would be a very boring world if we all agreed on every issue.

Many of the APS kits run very rich on our cars....you and I have both seen the dynos that have been posted. Some are excellent, and some need some tweaking. I would never want to run a car with 10 or 10.5:1 A/F ratios,
I've seen many stock factory turbo cars over the years including many 993 twin turbo Porsches that run around 10:1 air fuel ratio at full steam, nothing unusual about that - maybe Porsche know something about keeping high powered turbocharged engines together and in one piece - richer mixtures in high rpm/full load conditions is all about engine reliability and cooling.

Piston, valve and cumbustion chambers are far more durable with richer mixtures and lower exhaust gas temperatuire.

Have a good day my friend.

Regards

Peter

Last edited by APS; 06-01-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Jergens

ZMan

Yeah pretty excited about it. Trying to find an exhaust to match with it. Haven't heard many. I should probably get to a South Florida ZCC meeting so I can hear a few different exhaust notes. With that much power I want an exhaust that is going to work well but I'm not looking for anything too loud. It never ends does it.

~Josh
Old 06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by Jergens
ZMan

Yeah pretty excited about it. Trying to find an exhaust to match with it. Haven't heard many. I should probably get to a South Florida ZCC meeting so I can hear a few different exhaust notes. With that much power I want an exhaust that is going to work well but I'm not looking for anything too loud. It never ends does it.

~Josh
The exhaust in the video APS made sounds really mean without being obnoxiously loud. Peter said it should be in the US by mid August I believe if you planned on waiting. I have the Greddy EVO2 and absolutely love it. Its the perfect sounding exhaust to me...but I'm biased obviously....
Old 06-01-2005, 07:31 PM
xxlbeerZ

I would never buy the Greddy for much simpler reasons.

1) Refuse to remove front bumper!
2) Their customer support sucks.

Those two are enough for me regardless of what else is good or bad about it.

Both the single turbo options are adequate, for twins I like the APS or SSR kit.

Anyway, glad to see you're in the APS ST GB Jergens, we should be at or near 25 now!

Last edited by xxlbeerZ; 06-01-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:37 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
I would never buy the Greddy for much simpler reasons.

1) Refuse to remove front bumper!
2) Their customer support sucks.

Those two are enough for me regardless of what else is hood or bad about it.
D
sharif needs to get paid by greddy, he IS the customer support!!!

i nominate sharif for president of greddy
Old 06-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Jergens

Do we know if the GReddy Evo II is higher flow than the APS? I know it is sort of a dull question, I suppose based on Diameter. Also I think the APS still has a "muffler" box at the end and the GReddy is just two straight back pipes. Am I wrong? Anyone want to throw in exhaust recommendations? I'd like to be doing a full install by August. Also, with the change in exhaust and things like high flow cats and plenum etc, I assume the software should be reworked? Or not so much?

~Josh Is SUPER pumped!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Do we know if the GReddy Evo II is higher flow than the APS? I know it is sort of a dull question, I suppose based on Diameter. Also I think the APS still has a "muffler" box at the end and the GReddy is just two straight back pipes. Am I wrong? Anyone want to throw in exhaust recommendations? I'd like to be doing a full install by August. Also, with the change in exhaust and things like high flow cats and plenum etc, I assume the software should be reworked? Or not so much?

~Josh Is SUPER pumped!
Without running tests on them, its pretty safe to say that the APS exhuast will flow more than the EvoII. The APS is 2 1/2 inch true dual, and the Greddy is 2.25 with a Y-Pipe...that restricts down to a single 2.25.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Conceyted

Sharif you have a pm... go read it ;-)
Old 06-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Jergens

Any purpose/effect/advantage of replacing the blow off valve? Also I never got word on the ease of aval. of the APS exhaust

~Josh
Old 06-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Any purpose/effect/advantage of replacing the blow off valve? Also I never got word on the ease of aval. of the APS exhaust

~Josh
No, the APS BOV is a good solid BOV.

From what i've seen, anything branded APS is hard to get ahold of, and hard to keep in stock once you do. Though, you may want to wait, APS has big HP test pipes and exhaust coming out soon. (they are bigger (more airflow) than the one's now)
Old 06-11-2005, 03:25 PM
zman1910

~Josh Is SUPER pumped!
Josh I currently have the Greddy EvoII exhaust. It sounds beautiful but I think ill be letting it go for the APS exhaust made for the single turbo. Also the Single T gets rid of pipes/cats if I'm not mistaken....
Old 06-11-2005, 10:05 PM
nickgundara

I test drove a car with an APS exhaust today. Did not like the sound/tone of it at all. Until I actually heard it, I was all for buying it along with my TT kit from APS. Now I think I'll stick with my Greddy Evo 2.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Was the car you drove that had an APS exhaust TT'd?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Without running tests on them, its pretty safe to say that the APS exhuast will flow more than the EvoII. The APS is 2 1/2 inch true dual, and the Greddy is 2.25 with a Y-Pipe...that restricts down to a single 2.25.
The X-pipe on the greddy evo2 is larger than 2.25 when it goes to a single pipe. I can measure, but I would guess it is closer to 3" when it combines the two banks in the X-pipe.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:21 AM
nickgundara

Yes, I rode in a APS powered single turbo ZR, and drove a twin turbo G35.

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Was the car you drove that had an APS exhaust TT'd?
Old 06-12-2005, 09:23 AM
zman1910

Originally Posted by nickgundara
Im assuming the ST at brainstorm?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by nickgundara
Ok, just making sure. Exhaust sounds can change quite a bit from N/A to F/I, so I was making sure you hear it on F/I.

Quick Reply: ~ 400 RWHP Questions