Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Fuel Rail and Injector install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 07:17 AM
bruschijr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Rail and Injector install question

Well as slow as ever.. I am waiting for someone to help me finally drop the engine back in. If anyone has kept up with my post (although lately I have been extremely busy to post anything new), I finished putting the engine back together on Fathers Day weekend. I have pretty much everything on but the flywheel/clutch and upper intakes, just waiting to drop it in.

I put on the AAM fuel rails with RC 750cc injectors. The spacers were fairly large on them maybe 3/4 inch. Not only were they hard as hell to get into the intake section ... but i noticed that they sit awkward when supposedly all the way in.

I have never done this before, so im not sure if this is normal. In the six holes for the injectors, none of them sit flush with the metal to fuel injector surface. They are all in pretty much the same way crooked. I am thinking the purpose of the o rings is to seal that space. From the size of the spacers I dont think its possible for them to sit flush... but it looks like they could with the normal Greddy Spacers. One of them no matter how hard I try has a little bump out in the o ring... as in its really tight i guess on one side making the other side of the o ring bulge out... if you can picture what i mean... they all look like they are sealed now... but im worried if under pressure if there would be a problem...

Does anyone have any information on this...

Also... From what I remember, i think there were people mentioning smelling fuel constantly after they installed the AAM rails... has anyone checked this out on thier car?

Once i get a helper which should be soon... they engine will be back in and we'll see if my do it yourself idea was worth it... Ive just had so much going on now i took a break for it for a little while...

Sorry for no updated pics either... the engine looks nice as hell now with the cosmetics i put on it.... if I get some time ill post some more pics in my sticky... trying to keep up... Married life is tough (just got married a month ago)
Old 06-28-2005, 07:25 AM
bruschijr

Ooops! One more thing... if anyone knows..

I also dont have the two tensioner pullies on. I went to pep boys and had them punch out the bearings in the middle of the pullies. Then I polished them up. Called pep boys... and now they say they cant put them back in...

Its gonna cost $100 for new tensioner pullies... but i want to keep the polished ones... can I just go to Home depot and find something to bang the bearings in the pullies or is that something i shouldnt mess with...?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:52 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by bruschijr
Ooops! One more thing... if anyone knows..

I also dont have the two tensioner pullies on. I went to pep boys and had them punch out the bearings in the middle of the pullies. Then I polished them up. Called pep boys... and now they say they cant put them back in...

Its gonna cost $100 for new tensioner pullies... but i want to keep the polished ones... can I just go to Home depot and find something to bang the bearings in the pullies or is that something i shouldnt mess with...?
Those bearings cannot be put back in once they are punched out. They are installed at the time of assembly. Your only option would be to find a bearing distributor who can get you the same bearing and MAYBE press it back in for you. Chances are minimal though.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:54 AM
g356gear

I put on the AAM fuel rails with RC 750cc injectors. The spacers were fairly large on them maybe 3/4 inch. Not only were they hard as hell to get into the intake section ... but i noticed that they sit awkward when supposedly all the way in.

I have never done this before, so im not sure if this is normal. In the six holes for the injectors, none of them sit flush with the metal to fuel injector surface. They are all in pretty much the same way crooked. I am thinking the purpose of the o rings is to seal that space. From the size of the spacers I dont think its possible for them to sit flush... but it looks like they could with the normal Greddy Spacers. One of them no matter how hard I try has a little bump out in the o ring... as in its really tight i guess on one side making the other side of the o ring bulge out... if you can picture what i mean... they all look like they are sealed now... but im worried if under pressure if there would be a problem...

Does anyone have any information on this...

Also... From what I remember, i think there were people mentioning smelling fuel constantly after they installed the AAM rails... has anyone checked this out on thier car?
The injectors should sit flush into the bosses. Maybe a little lube on the o-rings will get them to seat in the rail. They should never be at an angle.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:35 AM
bruschijr

ok... thanks.. It still seems wierd though, because I looked at it, and it didnt look like they could be perfectly flush with those spacers...

If you think about it, they are on an angle right? If you increase the spacer size, wouldnt it increase the angle? Therefore making it less flush against the surface?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:33 AM
g356gear

ok... thanks.. It still seems wierd though, because I looked at it, and it didnt look like they could be perfectly flush with those spacers...

If you think about it, they are on an angle right? If you increase the spacer size, wouldnt it increase the angle? Therefore making it less flush against the surface?
The holes in the AAM rails may be machined just a thousandth off or something. Makes it tight for the 0-ring on the end of the injector.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:20 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's brilliant. I would never have thought of that.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:29 AM
bruschijr

Hey good idea... Ill try it tonight and let you know how it works
Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
bruschijr

(make sure the SO doesn't see this)

hmm...
cant figure out what SO means...
Old 06-29-2005, 09:23 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sex offender
Old 06-30-2005, 05:13 AM
mcderns

Originally Posted by phunk
sex offender
maybe significant other?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:44 AM
bruschijr

hey, it worked!

I put the bearings in the freezer for about 5 hours.....
But the pully in at 375... just felt like making it hotter... for about an hour.

It wasnt easy, but it went in.... with a lot of force...

It seemed like it was real easy but as i pushed it down it got tougher... probably the two temperatures coming together and expanding and shrinking back to normal...

I went ahead and bought new pullies just in case though.... Thanks for the idea! Whoever said 6th grade science class would never come in handy
Old 06-30-2005, 08:29 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should not be able to see any of the o-rings on the injectors at all once installed. those o rings expand with fuel contact and rely on being able to put equal pressure on all sides of it. if it is cocked more than a degree or 2 off it will leak. i know this from previous fuel rails i have built, and if they are not in straight or equal pressure on the o ring it will leak for sure even if it seals at first, just a little vibration will make it leak. if you can see the o rings bulge a little on one side, stop and do not force it, it is easy to cut the o ring on the edge and not know it. then it will leak also. like g356gear said, use some lube to install them, i just spit on mine, lol.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:35 AM
bruschijr

I fixed it last night... here is the issue for anyone who is using AAM fuel rails and RC 750cc injectors:

I wish i could draw a picture... but basically... since the fuel injectors are angled in and the spacers are straight... the taller the spacer, the more angle it creates against the hole you put the fuel injectors in...

I noticed the two front injectors were off by the most, then the middle ones, but the back two were perfectly flush...

So i took out the spacers on the front and replaced them by stacking two 440cc spacers together... maybe about .5 to 1mm smaller... worked like a charm... everything is flush.