Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Motor Blew on Turbonetics ST kit in 24HRS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 11:10 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. I run my car hard on a daily basis, and it is a daily driver. It's only about 10-15 miles a day, but still a daily driver. So far I've noticed no issues besides annoyances with the aftermarket headers.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:28 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does any one think that the ECU is the one to blame for most of the low boost or no boost blow ups ? Im sure alot of them have been from bad tuning and or pushing the limits . But could it be that the ECU is doing some crazy chit and advancing the timing or some thing unknown to cause it ?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:01 PM
projectsherv

Ok sorry I have not been on I've been extremely hard at work trying to pay for this misfortne, and my keyboard is a bit messed p the key between y and i does not work. So it goes like this I picked p my car from Evoltion and within 5 mintes the car was acting p a bit. It was making this wierd hesitation feeling and they said to jst pick p some gas and I wold be fine. So i went and got som gas and my check engine light comes on. So i take it back and they tell me it will be jst fine and bring it back in 2 days and they said as soon as I have gas in my car I can drive it however I wold like to. I asked specifically abot a break in period on the engine and I was instrcted that there was NO BREAK IN PERIOD. I took my car home that night and barely drove it becase I figred I wold have all the time in the world to enjoy it. The next day I worked a 9-9 12 hr shift and after getting ot of work I want to do nothing bt enjoy my car. So take it ot and show off a bit here and there and I meet p with a few friends and took it ot on the highway. Now i took 3rd to abot 6k rpm and 4th to abot 5500 and so i pt it in 5th and the car jst blew p within 5 seconds. I do have a boost gage and I didnt hear the warning which was set at 9.5psi bt the fact that my wastegate was so lod I coldnt hear anything bt I did not see the warning light come on at all. That is the whole story.

PS: This keyboard is seriosly messed p so I apologize abot all the typo's.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:58 PM
jlimquest

1) Would the J & S Safeguard help &/or work w/ the Turbonetics?

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

2) Any other suggestions on how to avoid a blown engine?
3) Is this the first blown engine for Turbonetics or are there more?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-04-2005, 01:00 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

So why the CEL? What was the code?

Originally Posted by projectsherv
Ok sorry I have not been on I've been extremely hard at work trying to pay for this misfortne, and my keyboard is a bit messed p the key between y and i does not work. So it goes like this I picked p my car from Evoltion and within 5 mintes the car was acting p a bit. It was making this wierd hesitation feeling and they said to jst pick p some gas and I wold be fine. So i went and got som gas and my check engine light comes on. So i take it back and they tell me it will be jst fine and bring it back in 2 days and they said as soon as I have gas in my car I can drive it however I wold like to. I asked specifically abot a break in period on the engine and I was instrcted that there was NO BREAK IN PERIOD. I took my car home that night and barely drove it becase I figred I wold have all the time in the world to enjoy it. The next day I worked a 9-9 12 hr shift and after getting ot of work I want to do nothing bt enjoy my car. So take it ot and show off a bit here and there and I meet p with a few friends and took it ot on the highway. Now i took 3rd to abot 6k rpm and 4th to abot 5500 and so i pt it in 5th and the car jst blew p within 5 seconds. I do have a boost gage and I didnt hear the warning which was set at 9.5psi bt the fact that my wastegate was so lod I coldnt hear anything bt I did not see the warning light come on at all. That is the whole story.

PS: This keyboard is seriosly messed p so I apologize abot all the typo's.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:13 PM
bhk1004

for some reason this sounds like it mita been installed incorrectly...? I dont think ive read about anyone else with the tubonetics that said thier car drove awkwardly as soon as they picked it up....
Old 07-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by jlimquest
1) Would the J & S Safeguard help &/or work w/ the Turbonetics?

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

2) Any other suggestions on how to avoid a blown engine?
3) Is this the first blown engine for Turbonetics or are there more?

Thanks,
Jeff
1) Yes, that would be a good idea if you want someone to do fine tuning on your setup.
2) Return Fuel System, CJ-Motorsports CAS wire
3) First and hopefully the last.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:44 PM
failsafe306

and my keyboard is a bit messed p the key between y and i does not work.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Sherv, I am pretty good friends with Jeff at Evolution, and granted, there are always two sides to every story. It's reallly is not my place to jump in here, but there is much more to this story.

I wont start a he said-she said thing, but you guys all know I try to help out everyone I can. I just dont want the Turbonetics kit, or any kit, to get a reputation for blowing motors. It's been said a million times before, that ANY kit can damage a stock VQ motor, and I will go so far to say that even with a PERFECT tune, the engine can be damaged. Overheating, a bad fuel pump, electrical failure...etc. With an NA motor, you have much more margin for error, so the above doesnt necessarily destory the motor. But in the high pressure/high heat world of F/I, a small failure of a key sub system, can result in the complete destruction of a motor. I just hope more people realize this, and are willing to accept, and understand the risk of F/I.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:30 PM
slaponte

Thats what I meant also. The more you push the "envelope", the more costly a minor issue can become. What could have been a backfire or a stall before, now becomes a piston through the pan. The % margin of error is greatly reduced.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Z BOY

so is it fair to say that the more performance (read hp) you try to squeeze out of this engine, the higher your risk for problems?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Speed Dreams

Obviously, the more you push oem components past their specs, failure will happen....
Old 07-05-2005, 05:42 AM
damen

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Sherv, I am pretty good friends with Jeff at Evolution, and granted, there are always two sides to every story. It's reallly is not my place to jump in here, but there is much more to this story.

I wont start a he said-she said thing, but you guys all know I try to help out everyone I can. I just dont want the Turbonetics kit, or any kit, to get a reputation for blowing motors. It's been said a million times before, that ANY kit can damage a stock VQ motor, and I will go so far to say that even with a PERFECT tune, the engine can be damaged. Overheating, a bad fuel pump, electrical failure...etc. With an NA motor, you have much more margin for error, so the above doesnt necessarily destory the motor. But in the high pressure/high heat world of F/I, a small failure of a key sub system, can result in the complete destruction of a motor. I just hope more people realize this, and are willing to accept, and understand the risk of F/I.
that's how i was feeling.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:51 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

From Shervs post it sounds like an install issue given the CEL etc. Are you saying that is not the case? A lot of us would really like to know what happened so we can avoid the same fate. Not looking for he-said-she-said finger pointing drama just whatever facts are available.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Z BOY

i want to know where the stories diverge.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:39 AM
jlimquest

A lot of us that ordered this kit is in the assumption that it was the safest ST in the market for the stock Z as long as it is intalled properly, tuned efficiently & we do not go over the recommended limits. So what is the safest NA (stock internal) setup for the Turbonetics without necessarily compromising the engine?

Originally Posted by Speed Dreams
Obviously, the more you push oem components past their specs, failure will happen....
Old 07-05-2005, 08:08 AM
MIAPLAYA

The safest setup for the Turbonetics kit is as it comes out of the box. 8-8.5 PSI. I know the wastegate was modified on shervs car and I wonder if that might have been the cause. Also sherv I thought you posted that you had raced an STI or soem other cars prior to the motor failing. Did this not happen or did you race them before the motor let go?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:27 AM
bascelik

I, for one, subscribe to "bad install" theory on this one. Don't care who is friends with whom, I've seen supposedly good shops botch-up. SGP botched up my exhaust install on the Jeep (forgot that SUV rear axle moves more up/down than a sports car?), so my wife enjoys *clank* *clank* every time she goes over a bump (gave up trying to fix it with them). They also installed my Borla on the Z crooked (gave up trying to fix as well). To others, they've done good work, apparently. So, Sharif, you may be friends with Jeff, and Jeff may be a good mechanic and auto enthusiast, but that means nothing, still could've botched-up. My faith in supposedly "good shops" is no more than my faith in supposedly bad ones. You live, you learn. Best of luck Sherv, hope it all turns out better than it started. And take NO ONE's word for granted. Cheers.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 AM
failsafe306

SGP botched up my exhaust install on the Jeep (forgot that SUV rear axle moves more up/down than a sports car?),
I'm not waving a banner for SGP or anything, nor am I trying to start an argument, but seeing as they deal with import cars, I can't really fault them for not being experts on Jeeps. I would've taken it to an off-road shop in the first place. Now the Borla on the Z, I would have to say that sucks man, and they should've came through better on that one. I'm sorry, back on topic now.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:32 AM
1 2 NV

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
The safest setup for the Turbonetics kit is as it comes out of the box. 8-8.5 PSI. I know the wastegate was modified on shervs car and I wonder if that might have been the cause. Also sherv I thought you posted that you had raced an STI or soem other cars prior to the motor failing. Did this not happen or did you race them before the motor let go?
I remember reading that post. He or somebody said something about now being able to take Corvette Z06's. Or something along those lines. It seems like the people who do know other parts of the story are more worried about hurting feelings or egos rather than getting the truth out, or at least the other half of the story. What gives? Spill it already!!

Quick Reply: Motor Blew on Turbonetics ST kit in 24HRS!