Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Speed Magazine 350Z Tuner Wars!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 04:31 PM
1G-350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
1/4 times were not great but definitely an interesting article to read.

For those who haven't read it, I still recommend you do.

They touched alot on the handling and performance results.
True... Learned alot about suspension, overall a great read from a road course aspect... The article show us that the Z is a great track car! (a track with turns).... Part I liked; the drivers freind with a Porsche GT3 runs 1:33, and all the Z's ran from 1:32.18 - 1:29.09
Old 07-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Gary King

Originally Posted by sentry65
other than drag radials or slicks, what tire would you consider to be a good drag race tire? BFG KD maybe?

oh, those drag times were on the stock LSD right?

thanks man, I'm just curious about everyone's real world FI driving experience

BTW, really big fan of your car
I watched NOPI TV last night and the guy that runs the orange Titan Supra said he swears by the BFG Drag Radials. Sure he may be biased/sponsored, but he was also the champ last year and is doing well this year too.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 PM
1G-350Z

Originally Posted by Gary King
I watched NOPI TV last night and the guy that runs the orange Titan Supra said he swears by the BFG Drag Radials. Sure he may be biased/sponsored, but he was also the champ last year and is doing well this year too.
Even better Performance Motorsports ran a Twin Turbo Z in that BFG class on the same tire last year and the car hooked amazing! Ran 8.30's @ 176 mph! Check out the promo vid, which show the 176mph run and more...

CLICK HERE

Last edited by roops350; 07-07-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Gary King

Originally Posted by roops350
Even better Performance Motorsports ran a Twin Turbo Z in that BFG class on the same tire last year and the car hooked amazing! Ran 8.30's @ 176 mph! Check out the promo vid
HERE
I've talked to a few of the guys over there and they are very helpful. I would love to see their Z take the championship in the NOPI Series.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:20 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Even better Performance Motorsports ran a Twin Turbo Z in that BFG class on the same tire last year and the car hooked amazing! Ran 8.30's @ 176 mph! Check out the promo vid, which show the 176mph run and more...

CLICK HERE
that car is insane!!! the video is very cool

does anyone know the specs on that motor? i'm curious as to what they are doing with the block cooling issues (i assume it is a vq35?!)
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM
1G-350Z

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
that car is insane!!! the video is very cool

does anyone know the specs on that motor? i'm curious as to what they are doing with the block cooling issues (i assume it is a vq35?!)
Yea the place is 2 miles from where I live... They will be doing my turbo install...

To the best of my knowledge when they made that pass they were running a stock VQ block and crank. Block was sleeved... Stock cams, valve springs were swaped out... Other than that the heads are pretty much stock. Obviously rods, pistons and bolts were changed (I think corrillo and arp not sure about the pistons). 1000cc injectors / full MoTec / Stock intake manifold. Two big as# turbonetics turbos, currently switched to borg warner tubos (I didn't even no they made turbos) / ice/water intercooler...

As far as heating I think they may have a fix, but a lot of things there are hush hush
Old 07-07-2005, 08:45 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

As far as heating I think they may have a fix, but a lot of things there are hush hush
i wanna know, who do i have to whack or pay off to obtain such knowledge?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres some info on it.....

The 350 relies on a beefed-up version of the mighty VQ35DE powerplant for motivation. Outfitted with JE forged pistons and Carillo rods, the 3.5L had its compression dropped to 10.3:1 in order to allow higher boost levels; and its rev limit raised to 8,000rpm to help keep the boost pressurized throughout the curve. A Nismo R-Tune camshaft, valve job and mild porting of the exhaust ports by Headgames are also features of this build-up.

Last year, the car was set up with two different nitrous setups – a 300 shot and 375 shot that helped the team go through two engine blocks. This season, however, reliability issues prompted them to switch over to a Power Enterprise twin turbo system, which features a PE exhaust manifold, 2.25-inch down-pipe and modified air-to-water PE intercooler. The wastegate is internal, but the HKS blow-off valve is not.
A large 75mm Accufab throttle body translates the air into additional power with high-flowing Bosch Motorsport injectors transporting loads of additional fuel from an ATL 15 gallon fuel cell. A 240gph Weldon fuel pump and Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and filter help out with the task.

Engine management duties are performed by a MoTeC M880 system that gives control over the fuel and ignition as well as closed loop wideband oxygen control and datalogging for a number of inputs. Before Ioannou, who knows MoTeC systems like the back of his hand, came on board, the team found tuning a challenge.
“We feel we’re doing pretty good considering we’re the only ones running this V6 right now,” defended Rubio.

Drivetrain upgrades consist of a custom made Unorthodox Racing five pound aluminum flywheel that works in conjunction with a Tilton multi-plate metallic clutch and the factory 6-speed. A Nismo LSD with a Nismo finned differential cover helps distribute the power equally to the rear wheels.
Tein Flex coilovers all around provide ample adjustability for fine tweaks on race days thanks to the EDFC system. Weld 15x9-inch aluminum rims house BFGoodrich 275/50/15 drag radials on the rear axles while the fronts are 15x3.5-inch skinnies with 26x5-15 Mickey Thompson front runners. BFGoodrich came on board as a sponsor in June.

Heres a pic of the 1000hp+ beast
Old 07-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Since that quote, it's changed to a "funny car body." It also uses a custom turbo setup now (actually, I believe they gave up on the PE at around 600rwhp). BTW, they are the world's fastest 350Z with VQ35DE and the first in the world to do 12's, 11's, 10's, 9's, and 8's in a 350Z. Another BTW, there are quite a few upgrades that aren't mentioned in that. Like the Driveshaft Shop rear axles, carbon fiber hatch, etc. (though they are not using the hatch anymore since it is all fiberglass (the funny car body)).

Last edited by nis350ztt; 07-07-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:51 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, so how in the hell are they able to hook the car at launch?

is a good pair of slicks all it is?

kinda sucks if the only hope to launch the Z well is with slicks....
Old 07-07-2005, 09:59 PM
TxTitan

those are some pathetic 1/4 mile times in that article btw.....

+1 Down right pathetic if you ask me. My viper truck would smoke those times .
Old 07-07-2005, 10:55 PM
1G-350Z

ok, so how in the hell are they able to hook the car at launch?

is a good pair of slicks all it is?

kinda sucks if the only hope to launch the Z well is with slicks....
They are running two cars a street class car (the silver one in the vid) and a pro car (orange/red)

I've been around the silver Z alot... They have the nismo LSD, Tein Flexover Suspension / They have aftermarket axels / GT Spec lower lateral brace / turbo 400 tranny / Full Roll cage / Car is around 3000 including Andrew...
late
I was in the shop late last summer when I first saw the 8 sec vid, and I couldn't believe how well the car hooked! Vinnie Ten said the Z hooks a lot better the Supra ever could. That's saying alot from Mr. 2JZ him self...

Not bad for a street legal 10.5 inch drag radial...

Jayson from MRC runs a DR with the same axels and an lsd with 398 whp APS TT a very heavy car he is around 11.5 @ 119
Old 07-07-2005, 11:12 PM
HankVQ

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Since that quote, it's changed to a "funny car body." It also uses a custom turbo setup now (actually, I believe they gave up on the PE at around 600rwhp). BTW, they are the world's fastest 350Z with VQ35DE and the first in the world to do 12's, 11's, 10's, 9's, and 8's in a 350Z. Another BTW, there are quite a few upgrades that aren't mentioned in that. Like the Driveshaft Shop rear axles, carbon fiber hatch, etc. (though they are not using the hatch anymore since it is all fiberglass (the funny car body)).

You are talking about two different cars running in different classes. The silver car with the carbon hatch that ran 8.3@176 runs in the pro street tire class in which only minor mods (see carbon hatch) to the body are allowed. The orange fiberglass "funny car" you are talking about is a Peformance Motorsports car but runs in the pro RWD class.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:12 PM
1G-350Z

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
[font=Arial]
The pic on the Dyno, they were still using the IHI turbos from the PE kit 600whp

Go to this link toward the back of the album and you will see a big difference, actualy two big differences...

CLICK HERE
Old 07-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by HankVQ
You are talking about two different cars running in different classes. The silver car with the carbon hatch that ran 8.3@176 runs in the pro street tire class in which only minor mods (see carbon hatch) to the body are allowed. The orange fiberglass "funny car" you are talking about is a Peformance Motorsports car but runs in the pro RWD class.
Ahh, you are correct. I checked out the website and they show all 3 (two drag, one drift).
Old 07-08-2005, 06:44 AM
Gary King

When talking to them last week, they said they are running custom ground cams with "Top Secret" specs/durations. The pistons are CP's that they have custom made and use Carrilo Rods.

I wonder if they moved the engine further back to assist in traction? Would require lots of fabrication, but they may have.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:16 AM
EM-EFER

I've heard the LSD is a huge help. Tires play a big role too. As far as the added weight in back, the Z has a great weight distribution, 53/47 something like that. More weight in the rear could help in a straight line, but would increase understeer.
The car would have to be be totally redesigned. This car wasn't designed for drag racing it had turns in mind. The car when you break into a corner has perfect 50/50 weight distribution.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Gary King

Originally Posted by lukesnyder
The car would have to be be totally redesigned. This car wasn't designed for drag racing it had turns in mind. The car when you break into a corner has perfect 50/50 weight distribution.
What's the weight distribution of your car with the beer cooler?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:18 AM
EM-EFER

What's the weight distribution of your car with the beer cooler?
lol its a 50/50 ... the 12 packs weighs the back down for optimum traction
Old 07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
J Ritt

I don't know anything about those 1/4 mile times (other than that they do look slow), but some of you guys are missing the point of the sidebar regarding the NA Z that beat all the turbo cars' lap times at Streets of Willow. That car wasn't actually part of the test. It was there because it's Mike Cronin Jr.'s personal car that he uses to do lapping days for fun. He drove it out there to the test. It was an interesting sidebar, and that's why it was presented as a sidebar...all of it's numbers weren't stacked up in line with the cars in the test. The point Dan Barnes (the editor) was trying to make by giving Mike's lap time for his personal car was: "if you want to run fast lap times on a road course, big power isn't the first place to look." Suspension, brakes, and tires will get you more on a twisty road course than lots of HP. Weight reduction would be a better route than big power. That was the editor's point of showing what Mike's car could do.

Sidenote...
During my suspension testing with Unitech racing, Mike actually turned a 1:27.29 in his car (while I was watching) using the Unitech Koni/Truechoice coilover setup (about a second faster than he could muster with the S-Tune kit. He then turned a 1:28.51 in my car which has a few less mods and is NA (with the Koni setup). He is an outstanding pro driver, and he knows that track extremely well. Nobody should doubt his skill, that much is for certain! I have no idea if he did the driving for the 1/4 mile segment of the test.

Quick Reply: Speed Magazine 350Z Tuner Wars!