Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Alternate turbo for turbonetics kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate turbo for turbonetics kit

I was reading up on the turbonetics kit and I came across a piece of information that stated that you can possibly swap out the turbo that the kit comes with for a bigger turbo? Exactly how big is this bigger turbo and has anyone done it yet? I plan on building my motor within the next few months so I was looking into gettin this kit with the bigger turbo for biig boost. Thanks in advance.

-Drew
Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by x350Zx
I was reading up on the turbonetics kit and I came across a piece of information that stated that you can possibly swap out the turbo that the kit comes with for a bigger turbo? Exactly how big is this bigger turbo and has anyone done it yet? I plan on building my motor within the next few months so I was looking into gettin this kit with the bigger turbo for biig boost. Thanks in advance.

-Drew
The 62-1 is physically the same size as the 60-1 but has a bigger compressor wheel so you oculd run that. It flows about 10% more then the 60-1. In talking with Brad and Jhame at Turbonetics a T66 should fit as well and has the same compressor outlet size as the 60-1. That one might require a little work to fit but nothing major.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
The 62-1 is physically the same size as the 60-1 but has a bigger compressor wheel so you oculd run that. It flows about 10% more then the 60-1. In talking with Brad and Jhame at Turbonetics a T66 should fit as well and has the same compressor outlet size as the 60-1. That one might require a little work to fit but nothing major.
And what if we wanted to go smaller for quicker boost response?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 PM
atlsupdawg#2

MIAPLAYA, I assume Turbonetics is using a T4 hot side?? Bro, a T66 is really an ideal compromise between lag, high horsepower and street driveability, though it is a bit outdated.. Why don't you extend your horizons a little further and check into some of the turbos the Supra guys are running? There are some slightly smaller turbos that put out just as much as the T66 but with quicker spool. I mean honestly, we're looking at six cylinders (same as Supra but different config) and also a .5 litre increase for quicker spool (350Z). Sound Performance has invested a great deal of R&D into there turbos for the Sup and I don't see why this can't be applied to the Z's V6, especially running a Turbonetics single kit..
Old 07-17-2005, 02:59 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
MIAPLAYA, I assume Turbonetics is using a T4 hot side?? Bro, a T66 is really an ideal compromise between lag, high horsepower and street driveability, though it is a bit outdated.. Why don't you extend your horizons a little further and check into some of the turbos the Supra guys are running? There are some slightly smaller turbos that put out just as much as the T66 but with quicker spool. I mean honestly, we're looking at six cylinders (same as Supra but different config) and also a .5 litre increase for quicker spool (350Z). Sound Performance has invested a great deal of R&D into there turbos for the Sup and I don't see why this can't be applied to the Z's V6, especially running a Turbonetics single kit..
I wouldn't say its "outdated". If thats your argument then by those terms a 60-1 is outdated. A T66 with the ceramic ball bearing upgrade is not going to affect spool up time that much more. Yes the 60-1 uses a T4 turbine section and likewise with a T66. Anyone going with a T66 is going to most likely be running higher boost then just 8 PSI. I mapped the compressor for the T66 and at 12-14 PSI the numbers look pretty good. Sure a T55, T58, T61 all look good. Hell a 62-1 Hifi would run great. It all depends on what you are looking for. I've looked at some of the Supra turbos out there. They are all prety much geared for the same thing... 4k RPMs and up power. Unfortunately we have a much lower redline then some of the high boost Supras I've seen so a T66 ceramic ball bearing with a .68 A/R running a T4 turbine is what looked good for me. For an inbetween a 62-1 or 62-1 Hifi would work great as well. Again it all comes down to what the person is looking for. As for going to a smaller turbo I guess a T04E 60 trim or T04B SH with a .58 A/R should get you what you want. FYI Turbonetics turbo matrix is actually pretty useful if you want to spec a turbo. Of course the factors for the table need to be looked at boost<=10 PSI etc etc... Link: http://www.turboneticsinc.com/downlo...urboMatrix.pdf
Old 07-17-2005, 03:26 PM
atlsupdawg#2

MIAPLAYA, what is your ultimate HP goal?? Not trying to question you here, just picking your brain more than anything. Like I mentioned earlier, a T66 is a great compromise and your proposed set-up looks like a killer combo. I know 60-1's and 2's are real popular with the high HP 4 banger crowd, I just haven't seen too many people running the T66 since the indroduction of a lot of other medium framed turbos.. If anything, I think you should start looking into an aftermarket traction control system ....
Old 07-17-2005, 03:29 PM
MIAPLAYA

MIAPLAYA, what is your ultimate HP goal?? Not trying to question you here, just picking your brain more than anything. Like I mentioned earlier, a T66 is a great compromise and your proposed set-up looks like a killer combo. I know 60-1's and 2's are real popular with the high HP 4 banger crowd, I just haven't seen too many people running the T66 since the indroduction of a lot of other medium framed turbos.. If anything, I think you should start looking into an aftermarket traction control system ....
My ultimate goal is to make close to 600 RWHP for the street daily. I also want to be able to make closer to 800 RWHP at a much higher boost setting for special occasions... I know I may need to go with a T70 or T72... but I think a T66 at 20 PSI should be efficient enough to get me close to 800...

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 07-17-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:40 PM
atlsupdawg#2

My ultimate goal is to make close to 600 RWHP for the street daily. I also want to be able to make closer to 800 RWHP at a much higher boost setting for special occasions... I know I may need to go with a T70 or T72... but I think a T66 at 20 PSI should be efficient enough to get me close to 800...
Bike Killah..

Damn bro, can we at least try to keep the car on the ground...LOL Good Luck man. I'll definetly be subscribing to this venture..
Old 07-17-2005, 03:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

Bike Killah..

Damn bro, can we at least try to keep the car on the ground...LOL Good Luck man. I'll definetly be subscribing to this venture..
I will... I'm still a ways off from having this complete. My goal is to have this done by the end of summer next year. I should have gathered some parts by Christmas with the rest coming during the year. Plans at this point are for the following:

Arias Xtreme Duty Pistons 9.5:1 CR
Pauter Rods
Darton Sleeves
JWT S1 cams
Ferrera valve train
Head work
CJM Fuel Return System
1000 cc injectors (may go down to 750cc but I think I'm going to need 1000s)
HKS Fcon V Pro
HKS A/F Knock Amp
62-1 hifi or T66 turbo
ATS triple disc carbon clutch and flywheel
Level 5 axels
Before then I need to get the rest:

ATS carbon LSD
Koyo or Blitz radiator
All coolant hoses made from solid polished SS tubing (courtesy of protocav)
PE oil pan
HKS RS Coilovers
HKS Fan Controller (to activate intercooler sprayer too )
HKS EVC 5
HKS Turbo Timer
AP Racing or Willwood BBk

So much to buy so little time