Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New Problem - Defi BF Gauges..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 08:52 AM
thebigsadler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Problem - Defi BF Gauges..

We fixed the AAM fuel problem (thanks guys), but now have an issue with the Defi BF Amber gauges. When the car is turned to the ON position, the gauge indicator (peak) like blinks in sequence on both gauges, the Defi Control Box make a *BEEP BEEP* noise and then the gauges shut off.

I am sure this is partially my fault, and here is why. We extended all of the wires for the gauge send units (fuel pressure sender and boost sender) because they weren't long enough to reach behind the pillar and plug into the back of the gauges. We looked at the instructions this morning and saw that you can plug the gauges into the Defi Controller box and decided to undo all of our connections, put the wire back as it was and plug the connectors into the actual box. This is when the beeping started.

The gauges did not show readings on either way it was setup (extended wires and back of gauges, standard wiring and back of the controller box). They have always had blinking PEAK lights in sequence and have never showed a read out.

If anyone is so inclined, please call my cell phone 904 993 5969 and let me know, I am going to be in the garage trying to trouble shoot this.

I do not remember doing anything with the buttons on the face of the controller box, but I very well could have hit something while testing the initial power wires.

I will be back and forth inside to check, but don't hesitate to call (904 993 5969) if you have a solution. Thanks a lot guys, you are life savers.

(ps - Service Engine Light soon is on as well, no clue)
Old 08-07-2005, 10:46 AM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried the Defi website under something like a FAQ section?

BTW it's not you can use the control unit II, I thought it was you had to use the control unit II box with the Link-BF series (it being the brain). Are you certain you are going from sensor to the correct port of the control unit II, then to the meters?

I have the gauges, but haven't installed them yet. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

Best of luck on getting the problem resolved.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go over your wiring....something is not correct.

to extend the wires, Defi offers the proper harnes to do so in a plug and play manner.

the sensors do not plug into the gauges...all sensors must first plug into the control unit. You then use the single wire to connect each gauge to one another in series
Old 08-07-2005, 04:35 PM
thebigsadler

I had no clue about the wire extensions, that would have been great. And I am pretty much a complete idiot because I didn't have to extend the wires at all, because they plug into the box.

We had a problem with the sending harness, the ground pin came out completely at random and we didn't even touch the wiring. We put the wire back in and covered the end of the plug with some silicone to make sure the wires held, and the gauges got power again. If this could be part of the problem, it was a defect of Defi's harness, and I would hope it could be replaced.

This afternoon we "un" extended the wiring (because we didn't even have to) and wired them back in the correct way, the box still turns on, then blinks and the gauges don't move at all.

I would definitely not with hold any info and I am 99% positive the wires are all correct. Whether it has to do with a weak signal due to the cutting of the wires and putting them back together, I don't know. I really am wondering if I put the gauges in some "mode" which doesn't allow them to move, or if that is even possible. I have looked over the instructions TONS of times and come up with nothing.

Any help would be fantastic guys, even if you are just brainstorming I am willing to try things. Right now everything is wired back the way it should have been out of the box.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:39 PM
ether

make sure you have the the plug selected correctly on the wire that goes from the control unit to the first gauge, there are two ports on the control unit you could conect it to.. thats about all i can think of.. i have 4 defi sensors hooked up with the defi extension wires and never encountered this problem
Old 08-07-2005, 08:44 PM
narkotic

I'm going to guess that when you made the extensions you clipped the ends off, perhaps something was crossed and blew some circuitry in the control box? Considering the guages are meant to be far away from the control box it must be a buffered signal, so introducing noise really isn't an issue.

Good luck..
Old 08-08-2005, 04:11 AM
thebigsadler

The only thing I can think to do is to e-mail Defi directly, or possibly contact the vendor that I purchased the gauges from?

We did use thicker wire to extend and soldered the connections. I have heard that this can cause some issues, but I didn't even think about it at the time. It seems to me that everything is working properly, it's just that the Defi box is in some safe mode or something? Is there any mode that I could have put it in that may have caused this?

And the holes on the back of the gauges... It doesn't matter which gauges gets the clip from the box, or which clip connects each gauge right?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Defi is pretty cool on answering emails.. just have to be specific... you can even ask voltage ratings on their wires and sender units and they'll tell you..
Old 08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My Autolight boost did not work correctly because it was powered by a normal power on when ignition on wire, it had to be hooked to a power wire that did not go low when starting. There is a technical term for this that I can't remember. Do not know if this is applica. to your situation, check your instructions.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:04 PM
thebigsadler

Well I sent Defi an email and they responded with some solid troubleshooting techniques.. it seems the master harness was bad (one with ground connector loose) and I am waiting on a reply from the on how I go about getting a new one or if there was any warranty.

Gauges are working and I am hitting .4 BAR at full boost and 5 BAR in fuel pressure; definitely need some tuning. The 3.12 pulley is on its way already.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool. Post some pics when you've got everything up and running.