Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:30 AM
prescience

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Question

Hi to all,

based in uk and awaiting delivery of Vortech s/c kit.

question is what s/w is shipped (ie available) with the split second timing kit so a tuner can map.

and where can i get the s/w if its not shipped.

thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 04:29 AM
SungNamZ

Will not come shipped with the Split Second software. You can order at: www.splitsec.com
Old 08-23-2005, 11:21 AM
prescience

OK

Spoke to Mark at Split Sec and ordered up the R4 for $49.

A bit surprisingly, one thing he didn't have was a base map for the 350Z Vortech. Can I get this from Vortech?

Thanks for help
Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
SungNamZ

The SS "piggy back" that comes with the Vortech SC will come A/F numbers pre-loaded. You will probably see 10.2 loaded on ALL A/F cells. You are going to be running "rich". It will be up to you and your tuner to adjust map A and B, while remaing safe, to get the max out of your vehicle.

Getting maps from me in Albuquerque or someone else in Nebraska or Florida will not work. You need to develop your own may for your vehicle and geographic location.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:19 PM
prescience

I understand what you're saying, your tuned map won't suit me - and I agree completely.

What I'm on about is I seen examples

http://www.**************/forums/ind...showtopic=7742

where the map loaded by Vortech on the SS (the default map) was wrong - so I'm trying to cover my bases by getting hold of the default map. That's all.

Cheers
Old 08-23-2005, 01:34 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since we're all talking about the vortech kit, does anyone know if the vortech tuner kit is CARB approved, or just the normal full kit?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
prescience

BTW 416 at the wheels is an impressive number. What boost you running; I'd only expect to get about 330 RWHp with stock boost even after tune.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:22 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by prescience
BTW 416 at the wheels is an impressive number. What boost you running; I'd only expect to get about 330 RWHp with stock boost even after tune.
It is ALL in the tune! If you go back and do a search of some of my previous threads/posts you will see what I mean. As for boost: stock Vortech or approximately 7 - 7.5
Old 08-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Speed Dreams

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
It is ALL in the tune! If you go back and do a search of some of my previous threads/posts you will see what I mean. As for boost: stock Vortech or approximately 7 - 7.5

It's all in the tune...Find someone in your area to dial you in..period. If you find a capable tuner you can expect more power then your present expectations.

Last edited by Speed Dreams; 08-23-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:33 AM
prescience

Great! We have some very competent tuners here in the UK, so looks like I can expect good numbers.

I'll look through your posts - thanks.

ps Good tuners here do come in quite expensive; don't know what you guys pay but about $170 an hour is what I can expect

Last edited by prescience; 08-24-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:38 AM
SungNamZ

"Competent" and understanding/using the R4 program is quite different. They might be learning R4 with your car on the dyno. If that is the case I would want them to back off their $170 per hour fee.

Ryan at Speed Dreams "dialed" mine in. As good as he is, those "impressive" numbers were not attainable in a few pulls or a few hours. It took many hours, a lot of pulls and patience.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 AM
prescience

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
"Competent" and understanding/using the R4 program is quite different. They might be learning R4 with your car on the dyno. If that is the case I would want them to back off their $170 per hour fee.

Ryan at Speed Dreams "dialed" mine in. As good as he is, those "impressive" numbers were not attainable in a few pulls or a few hours. It took many hours, a lot of pulls and patience.
That's a fair point, I will certainly check out their particular expertise and if they do have a lack of familiarity (which may well be the case), I'll do some bargaining.

BTW a check of your posts and associated threads has so far helped me:
- source some NGK LFR6AIX-11 spark plugs; the UK guy confirmed that the equivalent Denso ones are IKH20 which he said 'are a bit dearer and should in theory perform a bit better but NGK will last much longer' that sound fair.

- realise that changing spark plugs and Vortech filter is not straightforward - therefore I need a 'tame' dealer. Filter may not need regular change though?

- ensure during install that the additional fuel pump is wired up right.

Any views on which belts wear (or resist slackening) better?

all help given so far, much appreciated.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
SungNamZ

Had the Denso plugs and switched to NGK. A good source is Vivid Racing if not available in UK.

Have tried several different belts to include NAPA and Dayco. Have switched back to the Goodyear belt that comes with the SC. Took adjusting three times to get it to a oint that it no longer stretches. Cutting a circular hole in the plastic shield made adjusting a lot easier. Jack up the passenger side, loosen the nut on the IP, a few turns on the adjustment bolt through the circular hole using a socket/extension and then retighten the nut on the pulley. Done!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:43 AM
prescience

That's another for the list

Can get NGK in UK OK - surprisingly given that its a US only plug. The price might frighten you - about $95 for set of six. Denso are $122.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:03 AM
prescience

Pushing my luck I know but one more question.

Is it still recommended to get the G35 filter which is smaller and use that? On the Vortech site it says same part number for G35 and 350Z i.e.8H040-035 - have they standardised?

Didn't quite understand the issue with respect to the breather connection with G35 on another thread. Can you run that by me SLOWLY please

Last edited by prescience; 08-25-2005 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:45 AM
SungNamZ

Don't know if they "standardised", but I am currently using the G35 filter. Removing/replacing the filter that originally came with the "Z" kit was impossible. The G35 filter is much shorter and easy to install after doing some Dremel work on the plastic covering the radiator support. Currently have two G35 filters. As one becomes dirty I remove and install a filter that I have cleaned with AEM filter cleaner. Avoids down time.

The "Z" filter has a connection for the breather hose while the G35 filter does not unless you drill a hose for a connection. Some, like myself have installed a breather filter on the end of the hose. Others have installed a "catch can" on the hose between the PCV valve and the filter.

I don't know what others experienced, but the original "Z" setup seemed to be allowing the blower to pull vapors, thus the filter becoming saturated with oil along with the BOV and Intercooler.

Last edited by SungNamZ; 08-25-2005 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:14 AM
jpc350z

I believe the newer Z kits have the shortened filter that allows better access and removal..
Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 AM
prescience

Can you recommend any dealers that would ship the filter international _ could do with a spare and the UK dealer as recommended by Vortech has a 'half-finished' website - not inspiring confidence.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:04 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by jpc350z
I believe the newer Z kits have the shortened filter that allows better access and removal..
Can some with the "newer Z kits" measure filter and post?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by prescience
Can you recommend any dealers that would ship the filter international _ could do with a spare and the UK dealer as recommended by Vortech has a 'half-finished' website - not inspiring confidence.
Have you visited: www.vortechsuperchargers.com? The site will also give you a chance to look at the manual to insure you have or whoever is going to install your SC has ALL items required. NOT everything comes in the kit (i.e. NPT tap for oil drain). You might want to call them or send e-mail asking if they will ship filter internationlly.

Last edited by SungNamZ; 08-25-2005 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Vortech Question