Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Major Clutch Problems my night from hell!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

""""The whole point of running slicks on a car is so you DON'T have to slip the clutch for traction. If anything slicked up cars nearly never slip the clutch at all. It's always basically a straight dump.""""

I understand that... but not all drivers do...

""""While this is a nice theory and all. A straight clutch dump is much more harsh on the drivetrain.""""

This could also have been part of it... but from the looks of the pressure plate / clutch disc / flywheel it looks like it has been slipped more then anything else... but most likely also dumped...

""""So explain to me how a flywheel bolt breaks without the flywheel rotating on the crankshaft. The way you've explained it so far the rest of the flyhweel bolts are still holding the flywheel to the crank and are perfectly intact. Based on the force that's exerted on the flywheel setup (lateral - shearing) this is impossible unless the bolt was damaged previously or backs out due to improper initial torquing.

Frankly, when drag racing (I've been doing it for a long time) the last thing I'm worried about breaking is flyhweel bolts. Axles, rear ends, driveshafts and gears in the trans are all more likely to break than flywheel bolts.

If lots of guys were breaking flywheel bolts doing burnouts you'd at least see some of them posting here. I've seen nothing of the sort."""""

Beats me... but the flywheel had to be undone from the remaining bolts... the flywheel was not simply floating around...

Either way... if it was an installation error... The problem would have shown up much sooner or at the first drag race the car was in...
Old 10-28-2005, 11:56 AM
G352NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm I dont understand this. I know there is a LOT of guys with this setup that rape theirs. I havent heard anyone else say this happened to them. So why would this driver be different? Sounds like a install problem.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

so its an install problem when it happens on a car that never had a flywheel removed?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:26 PM
mpowers

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
so its an install problem when it happens on a car that never had a flywheel removed?
No, thats called warranty.
Your the same folks who warranty a turbocharged cars transmission. Yeah its a known problem, but if its a occurence that can happen with a stock flywheel and clutch why would this not be covered. Forget the fact that he was honest enough to say he was drag racing when it happened. I find it hard to believe that only one bolt snapped for the shearing theory. I do find it easier to believe improper torque and it back out and hit the disc.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flywheel bolts don't just break from vibrations. Unless the flywheel physically moved (It would have broken all of them if it moved) it's impossible that it broke only 2 bolts. PERIOD.

It wouldn't necessarily happen right away if it was an install issue. The bolt or bolts could have slowly backed out over time and when one or both finally came in contact with the clutch disc all hell broke loose.

The fact is, there is more to THIS situation than simple abuse.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 PM
bio911

i wore a shirt that said "s H i t happens" when i was in 5th grade...when it comes down to it, u pay to play.. i know its a lot of money but you are drag racing your car and stuff breaks. do the install yourself next time and that way you can make sure it is done right. thats about the only thing u can do if u do not trust the people who work on your car. good luck.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Enron Exec

Sounds like improperly torqued bolts or a bad batch of bolts. Its hard to say w/o looking at the broken parts. I bet after some heat cycles at the drag strip, the bolts finally came loose enough to begin backing out.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Well what ever it is im sure the "Service Department" will find the cause of the problem and take care of things...

If they need any parts for this they will come to us in the "Parts Department" and we will get the parts needed to fix it...
Old 10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

The parts department and service department are seperate... we do everything we can to help out our customers... but when it comes down to it,,, the service department calls the shots...
Old 10-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

When I lived in LA, I had nothing but great experiences with both the "Service" department and the "parts" department. Guys...relax...give Perf Nissan a chance here. They are BY FAR...the most mod friendly Nissan dealer in the country...and they have helped out countless members...and vendors...on the boards.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
mpowers

+1
Old 10-28-2005, 01:47 PM
prescience

I hope they step up to the plate - cos' from afar it seems an 'open and shut' case. Hope it gets satisfactorily resolved.

I'm gonna get kicked now, but no two parts of a single organisation should IMHO act (or be seen to act) independently of each other (from a Customer's perspective)
Old 10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
mrtomcat

I talked to Jim Wolf they responded to my email and I spoke to him for a while...really cool guy... He said the second he heard that the bolt broke off he knew that that would break the clutch if you continue driving. He also confirmed that this is not common for flywheel bolts to break.
He stressed to always use new bolts for every install which I know did not happen in my case. I was told I don't need new bolts, then they installed the RPS clutch which turned out to be defective, removed it and then installed the JWT clutch....So essentially my flywheel bolts had been used 3 times which he also confirmed could easily be the reason one broke.
JWT gave me their sponsored price since I am racing (for once I get a benefit from racing... ) and he is working with perf nissan to work out the details since they already installed the clutch/flyhweel

I explained the reuse of the flywheel bolts to Tony at pref niss but he states that in that case they should have backed out not sheared off...I don't know enough about this to argue on that. He did confirm however that the damage to the clutch flywheel was caused by the broken bolt not by racing but still insists that the bolt blew because of racing.

The car is ready but I have not gotten a final price tag I am about to call them back.
I don't think they'll give me a break on the labor even though not using new bolts was clearly a big mistake on their part.
Well, I soon shall know the price tag...and pick up my baby tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Who did you talk to to get your car done the first time? Which service advisor / which tech?

There is a reason we have over 100 New 350Z Flywheel bolts on hand!

We recomend replacing them...

Ill look up your RO history on Monday... Alot of times we put them on for free when paying for the labor...
Old 10-28-2005, 04:54 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
Who did you talk to to get your car done the first time? Which service advisor / which tech?

There is a reason we have over 100 New 350Z Flywheel bolts on hand!

We recomend replacing them...

Ill look up your RO history on Monday... Alot of times we put them on for free when paying for the labor...
I dealt with Tony in parts and Tim in service. I remember because I was very surprised that they said I didn't need new ones.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Most flywheels come with new bolts...

NISMO - New Bolts Included
Exedy - Requires Z32 Bolts
Tilton - ARP Bolts or Machined OE Bolts
Old 10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
sentry65
the burninator

do the ATS clutches come with new bolts?????
Old 10-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by sentry65
do the ATS clutches come with new bolts?????
No, I just sent you a PM...I can order some for you, for the ATS twin disc you just ordered. All of the aftermarket flywheels I have used do not come with new flywheel bolts.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:43 AM
failsafe306

Sharif, how much are the new bolts?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Sharif, how much are the new bolts?
$4.25 each plus shipping.

Quick Reply: Major Clutch Problems my night from hell!