Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Super noob with some cash to burn on a TT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:31 PM
alongdaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super noob with some cash to burn on a TT!!!

Sup yall. I have a 2005 ZR silverstone grey with Nismo wheels that came from the dealership. Looking to get some more power out of this sweet ride. So I am definitely thinking a greddy tt. My concern is all this talk of weak rods?? If I am not heavy on it all the time do I need to change the rods? I wouldnt think so with all the talk of people pushing 400rwhp on stock internals. Also, what is a blow off valve. Dos that come with the greddy tt kit? You dont know how long I could make this beacsue of all the questions I have. Let me know what your thoughts are. I am a super noob. Not ***!!!!!

PS..I live in socal and saw performance nissan has the greddy tt kit so much cheaper than stillen. Hope stillen will match prices!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:45 PM
KTaylor

personally i would not go for the greddy kit on stock internals. you may not have any problems with it but that is just my opinion. Also if u are not looking into huge hp numbers u might look into a single turbo which is also cheaper, just a thought. Maybe the turbonetics kit or ive also heard good things about the APS kit even though its not too popular on this forum.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:58 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blow Off Valve.....

When you remove your foot from the gas the throttle body closes stopping air from entering the intake. The turbo which was spinning at about 45,000 rpm, give or take a few thousand, producing comressed air in a closed system is still spinning. When the TB closes this compressed air has no where to go and will back up into the turbocharger causing rapid turbine desceleration making nasty sounds and possibly damage to the turbo. The blow off valve bleeds the pressurized air in the intake off into the atmoshphere when the TB closes. The Greddy kit has a blow off valve.

I had a Buick Grand National with 26 pounds of boost without a blow off valve. When you got off the gas at full throttle it made a wicked sound, and occasionally blew the intake right off the front of the engine (that sucked).

Any kit is safe at 8psi as long as it has a good tune. Turbonetics single turbo sustem is so safe becasue it comes with a reprogrammed ECu from turbonetics which has been proven safe and reliable. Withthe Greddy you need to find a competant tunner who knows what he is doing to give you a safe tune.

Hope this helps.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 10-31-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 PM
GMADD

My Greddy kit did not come with a BOV.

Not sure if the new ones do....
Old 11-01-2005, 05:02 AM
002-M-P

As far as I know, Greddy kits still do not come with a blowoff valve. If you go Greddy make sure you get it with the intercooler kit, cause they do sell it without at some places.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:29 AM
hypeiv

I think as long as you don't tune the heck out of your kit you will be ok, but you don't want to get into FI unless you can afford to rebuild the engine assuming the worst happens. I am sure there are a few shops close to you that have done some turbos for 350z's on stock internals. You should find a shop that has and start asking tons of questions to make sure you trust them before touching your new car.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 AM
CpraceZ

if you are only shooting for around 400hp, and you have a good tune on the car you should be fine with stock internals, with either the Greddy kit or Turbonetics kit. The newer Greddy kits do not come with a BOV so you would have to purchase one separately.