Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HELP SGP or Stillen Valve Body Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:03 PM
mtong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP SGP or Stillen Valve Body Upgrade?

Hey what's up everyone ...

The saga continues ... so we have our G35 over at Scott Performance in Santa Clara ...

Just wondering what people with autos and FI thought about SGP versus Stillen. After reading the posts on here about it I had spec'd our order to have a SGP upgrade done to the tranny, but today I found out (on my own) that Ted has switched that order to a Stillen VB

What should I do??

Get the SGP upgrade or keep the Stillen Valve Body and get the difference in cost (since the order was for a SGP). I'm looking for the best performance for the APS TT setup and not looking for a solution that will "just work". Over the phone tonite Ted had said that the SGP unit will make the shifts very harsh and not very driveable for normal use. Is this true? Because I really like the reviews on the SGP ...

Hopefully someone will chime in on which is better since I will need to do something ASAP.

Thanks again!

Last edited by mtong; 12-20-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:52 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you go to Ted's you will see a transmssion near the corner of his office near my car (that's on th elift). That's got an SGP VB in it... I was the original prtotype for it, and will be doing some more tweaking. I am not sure why he switched the order, for the life of me there is only one reason, COST, to not go with the SGP one. I bet you anythign that Ted does not have all the information when he made that decision...i guarantee you. Someone lied to him or smth... I know Ted, if he were given all the facts, there is NO way he would have decided that way. Given Stillen's marketing machinery, i would not be surprised if they upsold the crap out of, well, their crap.

Last edited by GurgenPB; 12-20-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 PM
G352NV

Hahhahahaha, cost? no not Ted.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:19 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Welll cost and availability is a consideration for his customer is what i mean...

But, on technical merit, there is snowball's chance in hell that Stillen is anything close to the one that is installed by SGP. A quick search will come up with the review that wrote about the VB, and what it entails (compared to Stillen's), so, MTONG, look there. If you don't find anything, let me know, I'll do a short recap, without revealing anything from my NDA.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:52 PM
mtong

Talked to Ted this morning ... and we're going to give the Stillen a try (no choice as that's what was ordered). His decision is based on what he believes to be the best solution for the customer. So far Ted has delivered on everything that he has promised, and I hope to have the G35 back soon =). Plus if we don't like the Stillen he said he would swap for the SGP.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:55 PM
G352NV

Wow I guess the stillen is better?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:30 PM
GXCLUSIV
Gymrats G35 TT

I thought you were, " looking for the best performance for the APS TT setup and not looking for a solution that will "just work"? ..... Stillen VB is not the answer. SGP all the way as others had mentioned.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:43 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

SGP, 4 shizzel maah nizzel
Old 12-21-2005, 08:57 PM
JeffesonM

I saw the descriptions and videos of the SGP VB mod and it was amazing... from what I gather the Stillen is not even close technically.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:53 AM
BLN350Z

GurgenPB,
Why call Stillen parts CRAP? That's just NOT true! If you have a preference for something over a Stillen Part, then by all means promote it, but to say that Stillen parts are "crap" is in my opinion a LOAD OF CRAP!

I do however agree that the SGP VB upgrade is a better choice.......
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM
zman1910

Sounds like Ted just made the wrong order to me.....you should get what you ordered and not let anyone talk the Stillen into you. I understand that Ted has a good reputation but you should have a choice still since the SGP version is what you wanted. It is clearly superior to the Stillen based on the reviews...
Old 12-22-2005, 11:03 AM
1G'

Yeah i went with the SGP and couldn't see anyone's being much better. im 100% happy with there VB. Ted installed mine. the shifts are firm no doubt but i like the ability to break the tires loose in 3rd

Last edited by 1G'; 12-22-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:04 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by BLN350Z
GurgenPB,
Why call Stillen parts CRAP? That's just NOT true! If you have a preference for something over a Stillen Part, then by all means promote it, but to say that Stillen parts are "crap" is in my opinion a LOAD OF CRAP!

I do however agree that the SGP VB upgrade is a better choice.......
Hope you did not take this as a personal attack... not meant to be one.

From my experience Stillen's stuff is about 30% over the fair price just for their "name", as if it is a good name. Bigger [company] doesn't necessarily mean better...and that's their marketing strategy. Starting with the camber correction kits and ending with their valve bodies, it's UPSOLD all the way. I guess it's a prsonal thing, I just cannot stand talkgin to a saleperson that pretends to know what he is talkign about and he knows absolutely NOTHING, that just insults my intelligence. Stillen is one of those "one man's trash is another man's treasure" moments.

Case in point, the valve body. I know for a fact they are outsourcing this to a shop in orange county somewhere...that's a fact. That ALONE tells you that you paying more than you should...right there. Second, it's a fact that all they are doing is putting in new springs and boring out the plate... NOT putting in new valves (with additinal built valves within) to truly override the adaptive nature of our transmission. Stillen gives you the higher rline pressure when the gear is engaged, yes, but NOT during the shift, when the clutch packs ware the most and when you eally want a firm shift. And that's crap....to charge $700 for something that's available as a spring/shim kit for EVERY OTHER CAR for $120.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:15 PM
MadBoost

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Cesar may post up on this thread when he sees it. He is pulling the stillen out and installing the SGP valve body on his APS TT roadster. He can fill you in on why.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Case in point, the valve body. I know for a fact they are outsourcing this to a shop in orange county somewhere...that's a fact. That ALONE tells you that you paying more than you should...right there.
In all fairness..you know as well as I do that SGP doesn't do the valve body "In House". They also send it to a company in California to be done and mark up what they pay said company to do. SGP never actually "works" on the valve body.

Now with that said...I know personally that what is done to the valve body that SGP sells is far superior to what Stillen does.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:26 PM
BLN350Z

I was only commenting on the "CRAP" part of his post...
I think I said I agree that the SGP VB is the beter choice and the "outsourcing" of the VB upgrade done by Stillen is in fact the SAME thing SGP does....They just do it BETTER!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SGP Link

Would someone send me a link on SGP ---Im running 6 sp but would like to learn a little bout them
Old 12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
mtong

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sgpracin...raupvabof.html
Old 12-24-2005, 10:21 PM
CESAROTORRES

Default Stillen VB

The reason why I removed the Stillen VB from my car is because it did not accomplish what I was trying to do, which was to change gears without banging off the rev limiter in full auto mode at WOT. Although SGP is selling the product that changes the gear faster and firmer I heard that SGP is still banging off the rev limiter in full auto mode at WOT in the first 2 gears. The Stillen VB is for people who is looking to modify their VB midly. Be advised that if later you want to modify your VB to be more aggressive and it was done by Stillen you will not be able to. Since it was done by them it will remain. I ended up swaping mine for a stock VB, which was a $700 loss. My suggestion to everyone is to drive cars with both a SGP and the Stillen. Based on that you can make your decision.

I believe both companies, SGP and Stillen are overcharging their customer. The SGP should be sold more on the $900 range and the Stillen around $400.

Cesar
Orlando Fl,
Old 12-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Fairlady_z33

Ok one question maybe out of subject. Is anyone going to step up and make the 350z auto a badass tranny that is going to hold over 800rwhp or is the auto just going to stay with minor upgrades.

Quick Reply: HELP SGP or Stillen Valve Body Upgrade?