MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   UTEC+Open loop boost control=Good times. (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/162152-utec-open-loop-boost-control-good-times.html)

tig488 01-02-2006 02:17 PM

ah no offense taken, thanks for youre help.

i guess ive just been lucky, ive been running anywhere from 16-20 psi for the past 2 months now with not one ping or problem yet, so i think running 11-12 psi will be fine. dont mean to take this thread the wrong way. again congratulations on getting it to work.

im still interested in the UTEC, i think its the best solution yet, but im gonna let more people get it before i decide to get it. ive seen too many "wonderful" products turnout to be, not so wonderful.

JETPILOT 01-02-2006 03:02 PM

Let me be honest and please don't take offense to what I'm saying as it is not meant to belittle you. Everything you are saying is showing me that you know next to nothing about boost and tuning.

What you are able to do and get away with 10 or 20 times is going to catch up to you and bite you in the ass. Big time.

You can't SAFELY turn up boost without adjusting timing, and fuel. It can't be done. You wan't to continue this practice it's your car.

2 PSI difference in boost and it's affect on AFR is huge. Yo ucan take a safe tune and run 2PSI more boost and be on the ragged edge of detonation and destroying your motor, and never know it. But one day it will be 10 degrees colder and that 2PSI will bite you in the ass and the wallet.

This isn't a question if this will be a wonderful product or not. It either is working or isn't. An this works. It's not experimentation. This is what the product is designed for.

There are 6 MAPS on the UTEC. 5 You can program. If you want different boost MAPS then set up MAP 1 for 6PSI and 89 octane. MAP 2 will be 7PSI and 91 octane. MAP 3 would be 8PSI and 93 octane. Install the dash switch and switch MAPS at will. But better have the correct octane.

Each MAP will have an optimized A/F, timing for the desired boost.

No one needs this solution more than you do it sounds. Because your doing the entirely wrong thing. You don't adjust boost at will.

The UTEC is allowing us to get rid of the seperate boost controller which is what we all want to do.... but you are going the other direction.

That's like eating cold bologna sandwhiches when you could be eating fillet mignon for less money.

Respect
JET

MardiGrasMax 01-02-2006 03:07 PM

Couldnt you tune the UTEC to a 20psi map then with the EBC only run 10psi and it would be fine? You would be running in the middle of the 20psi maps range?

The EBC switch on the fly feature is very usefull. A 20spi launch is more than likley not going to hook good on the street. With a Profec EO1 you can use the remote switch option and launch at low boost and switch instantly from the stearing wheel remote button into high boost once you are rolling along.

Fairlady_z33 01-02-2006 03:09 PM

MRC i have a boost controller already the Blitz SBC i-color can this be done or can my blitz be connected to do the same??

35ounces 01-02-2006 03:12 PM

THis is all great but TurboXS has yet to come out with a single solenoid and posted on this forum that the dual stage solenoid won't be out for quite a while.

Julian@MRC 01-02-2006 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by tig488
ah no offense taken, thanks for youre help.

i guess ive just been lucky, ive been running anywhere from 16-20 psi for the past 2 months now with not one ping or problem yet, so i think running 11-12 psi will be fine. dont mean to take this thread the wrong way. again congratulations on getting it to work.

im still interested in the UTEC, i think its the best solution yet, but im gonna let more people get it before i decide to get it. ive seen too many "wonderful" products turnout to be, not so wonderful.

16-20 PSI on a stock motor:eek: Holly crap.....Be careful man..

JETPILOT 01-02-2006 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 35ounces
THis is all great but TurboXS has yet to come out with a single solenoid and posted on this forum that the dual stage solenoid won't be out for quite a while.

Any solenoid will work per Jermaine.... the only limitation is that the solenoid doesn not exceed 2V.

Respect
JET

JETPILOT 01-02-2006 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Couldnt you tune the UTEC to a 20psi map then with the EBC only run 10psi and it would be fine? You would be running in the middle of the 20psi maps range?

The EBC switch on the fly feature is very usefull. A 20spi launch is more than likley not going to hook good on the street. With a Profec EO1 you can use the remote switch option and launch at low boost and switch instantly from the stearing wheel remote button into high boost once you are rolling along.

Your controlling boost manually with a switch on the steering wheel. The UTEC would be programmed for the boost increase at whatever RPM you program it for. You just need a 2 stage solenoid like the one you have.

Respect
JET

35ounces 01-02-2006 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Any solenoid will work per Jermaine.... the only limitation is that the solenoid doesn not exceed 2V.

Respect
JET

Is it easy to find something like that? I have no idea where to pick one up. What does a solenoid like that cost ?

JETPILOT 01-02-2006 04:12 PM

As said previously the APS solenoid will work. I confirmed today the Turbosmart E-Boost solenoid will work as well. $80.

Respect
JET

35ounces 01-02-2006 04:20 PM

thanks Jet. I found this one too. Says it works with UTEC.
http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...ersal/ebcs.htm

tig488 01-02-2006 04:42 PM

i made a mistake when i said my injectors are maxed out, i remembered that Tuan said my boost duty cycle on the unichip was almost maxed out.

im not a tuner, but i do know enough about it to be safe. i had the vortech on the car for a year, and have had the APS now for 7 months so im not a newb. over the past 2 months ive been driving with my wastegate wired completely shut. the most boost i made during that time was 19.6psi, but on a daily basis i would hit 15psi, and my AFR stayed down in the low 10s even at those boost ranges. the unichip pulls a crap load of timing and adds a lot of fuel so the tune is safe, plus i sent my unichip back to tuan with some datalogs and he did a few things to it reading the datalogs. its no custom tune i know, but its rich and running on 93 octane. like i said im not upping the boost 5-10psi, were talking 1-2 at the most.

im dont mean to imply that i turn the boost up constantly, hell i just got the car to hold boost today, so i still am not running at full boost. i bought the EBC because the stock APS controller has no adjustment and runs ~8.5-9 psi. i wanted to run a little more, so everynow and then i might up it to 10 or so. no harm at all in doing that. like i said, if ive been hitting almost 20 psi without as much as a ping and running 10 AFRs, im pretty comfortable in hitting 10-11psi, a lot of other APS ST owners are doing this anyway. im probably gonna get the car running right and holding boost, then drive up to GRD for a custom tune.

oh yeah and on those cold days, ill use the boost controller for what its made for, turn the boost down.

Julian@MRC 01-02-2006 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by tig488
i made a mistake when i said my injectors are maxed out, i remembered that Tuan said my boost duty cycle on the unichip was almost maxed out.

im not a tuner, but i do know enough about it to be safe. i had the vortech on the car for a year, and have had the APS now for 7 months so im not a newb. over the past 2 months ive been driving with my wastegate wired completely shut. the most boost i made during that time was 19.6psi, but on a daily basis i would hit 15psi, and my AFR stayed down in the low 10s even at those boost ranges. the unichip pulls a crap load of timing and adds a lot of fuel so the tune is safe, plus i sent my unichip back to tuan with some datalogs and he did a few things to it reading the datalogs. its no custom tune i know, but its rich and running on 93 octane. like i said im not upping the boost 5-10psi, were talking 1-2 at the most.

im dont mean to imply that i turn the boost up constantly, hell i just got the car to hold boost today, so i still am not running at full boost. i bought the EBC because the stock APS controller has no adjustment and runs ~8.5-9 psi. i wanted to run a little more, so everynow and then i might up it to 10 or so. no harm at all in doing that. like i said, if ive been hitting almost 20 psi without as much as a ping and running 10 AFRs, im pretty comfortable in hitting 10-11psi, a lot of other APS ST owners are doing this anyway. im probably gonna get the car running right and holding boost, then drive up to GRD for a custom tune.

oh yeah and on those cold days, ill use the boost controller for what its made for, turn the boost down.

At 16-20 PSI of boost, you will never hear the ping...It would be more like BANG POOF!!!...Seriously, not to be rude, but you honestly have no clue what you are subjecting your car to and as of late have been lucky..I can not believe Tuan has not kicked you in the ARS yet..LOL:icon38:

Like I have said before,Bosst does not kill engines,PEOPLE with boost kill engines..And no offense but you are a prime example..I honestly wish you the best, however I am willing to start a betting pool on how long your engine lasts..:D

tig488 01-02-2006 06:01 PM

its survived up until now, it wont see those numbers again. now it wont see more than 11. the betting pool started a while back. i think it was that it wouldnt last for a week. that was a month ago.

haha, if the engine goes, i know where they make new parts.

JETPILOT 01-02-2006 06:18 PM

Damn..... to have an attitude like that you have to have a large bank account and not another care in the world.

Poverty Sucks....

Respect
JET

Sharif@Forged 01-02-2006 06:22 PM

Not all boost controllers are created equally, as we found out when experimenting with the various Greddy boost controllers vs. the SBC's and HKS's. The APS controller uses a small and relatively low volume single solenoid design. I would not trust something like that to accurately control boost at 12+psi, without spiking/creeping. I would like to seee a dual solenoid TurboXS boost control solenoid hit the market for the 350Z. Until that time, I am still suggesting very high capacity and high quality dual solenoid boost controllers. At 12psi or less, practically any boost control solenoid should work ok.

tig488 01-02-2006 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Damn..... to have an attitude like that you have to have a large bank account and not another care in the world.

Poverty Sucks....

Respect
JET

not necessarily, its just something that comes with FI. nothing to be scared of. ive been looking into a built motor for several months, just havent done it yet. i dont want to blow the motor, if so id run 20 psi everyday, it can be done.:icon38:

Julian@MRC 01-02-2006 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Not all boost controllers are created equally, as we found out when experimenting with the various Greddy boost controllers vs. the SBC's and HKS's. The APS controller uses a small and relatively low volume single solenoid design. I would not trust something like that to accurately control boost at 12+psi, without spiking/creeping. I would like to seee a dual solenoid TurboXS boost control solenoid hit the market for the 350Z. Until that time, I am still suggesting very high capacity and high quality dual solenoid boost controllers. At 12psi or less, practically any boost control solenoid should work ok.

This is somethng we hooked up to simply "test the waters" and make some boost maps, we will be switching over to the TX one when Jermiane can supply us with one, but the mapping needs to be done at some point..As I do recall there are some people running 12-14 psi with the APS kit and its actuators flawlessly.

Never Mind 01-03-2006 01:30 AM

this thread is simply amazing :)
can some one tell me how much would it cost to get all the required parts to get a boost controller that will map up to 10/11 PSI maximum on an APS TT?

JETPILOT 01-03-2006 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Never Mind
this thread is simply amazing :)
can some one tell me how much would it cost to get all the required parts to get a boost controller that will map up to 10/11 PSI maximum on an APS TT?

Do you have a UTEC?

Respect
JET