MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   UTEC+Open loop boost control=Good times. (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/162152-utec-open-loop-boost-control-good-times.html)

Never Mind 01-03-2006 02:31 AM

no, and I suppose this means getting rid of the UniChip, right?

35ounces 01-03-2006 06:01 AM

Just purchase an electronic boost controller like the Blitz SBC iD (mine will probably be onb ebay soon...going with the UTEC boost control).

35ounces 01-03-2006 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Any solenoid will work per Jermaine.... the only limitation is that the solenoid doesn not exceed 2V.

Respect
JET

Just to clarify, according to Jermaine, the Solenoid cannot pull larger than a 2 amp load.

TurboXS_Nathan 01-03-2006 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 35ounces
However, the launch control and no-lift-to-shift features will only exist if you use the UTEC boost control so its a trade off in my view.

Not true, the flat shift and launch control features will work perfectly no matter what type of boost control device you use. These two features are not tied together in any way.

TurboXS_Nathan 01-03-2006 01:35 PM

Any solenoid will work per Jermaine.... the only limitation is that the solenoid doesn not exceed 2V.

Respect
JET

2 Amps not 2V.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com

35ounces 01-03-2006 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by TurboXS_Nathan
Not true, the flat shift and launch control features will work perfectly no matter what type of boost control device you use. These two features are not tied together in any way.

So I can use an ebcs like the Blitz and somehow the UTEC can control the amount of pressure I build?????
Is it just controlling fuel and rpm's?

TurboXS_Nathan 01-03-2006 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Not all boost controllers are created equally, as we found out when experimenting with the various Greddy boost controllers vs. the SBC's and HKS's. The APS controller uses a small and relatively low volume single solenoid design. I would not trust something like that to accurately control boost at 12+psi, without spiking/creeping. I would like to seee a dual solenoid TurboXS boost control solenoid hit the market for the 350Z. Until that time, I am still suggesting very high capacity and high quality dual solenoid boost controllers. At 12psi or less, practically any boost control solenoid should work ok.

Solenoid capacity has very little to do with the solenoids ability to actually control boost. Unless you are mounting the solenoid in the trunk, the APS valve will work just fine. I’d argue that the APS valve, when paired with the UTEC would outperform almost any of the $600+ EBCs on the market.

Most of the high priced JDM twin solenoid designs available on the market are crap. Look at the pressure ratings of the Blitz unit for example. Their twin solenoid design doesn’t even come close to handling half of the pressure of our single design. Almost all of the popular boost control manufacturers would be better off just sourcing a GM boost control solenoid and sticking it in their own box rather then using their cheaply manufactured poor quality units. I dare you to open the impressive looking solenoid box that comes with some of these units. When you pay $700 and then see what they stick inside you’ll need a change of underwear. Then again, what is in your pants will look remarkably similar to the crap they stick in the box.

We use the twin solenoid design not for marketing purposes, but because it gives 2 major points of flexibility. 1. It allows us to apply boost pressure to only the top port of the waste-gate when we are trying to build boost. On very high boost cars this allows us to hold the waste-gate shut against exhaust backpressure so that insane boost levels can be achieved. On low boost cars, or traction limited cars, this allows the end user to install a lighter wage-gate spring rate and still manage to achieve their target boost. There are many reasons why someone would want to do this (traction control in lower gears for example). 2. By separating the two ports, we allow you to use a secondary pressure source to control the top port. It is not uncommon for a real drag car to have a small CO2 tank at 100+ to supply pressure to hold the top port closed on the top portion of the track. Our high pressure solenoids (120psi duty rated) can handle this abuse and with our twin solenoid design we can give these professional drag racers the boost control they desire without sacrificing the controller’s response in the lower to mid-range RPMs (or even in the lower gears…see the end of point 1).

Let’s face it EBCs make lots of money. They are the “hot ****” and everyone just has to have one. We sell what we believe to be the best EBC on the market, but if you purchase a UTEC you do not NEED it to achieve reliable and stable boost control. If you feel you have to have the hot “JDM YO!” parts, by all means put an HKS, Blitz, or Greddy boost controller on your UTEC equipped car. However, for 99% of the people on the market the UTEC’s boost control system is far superior and a much safer solution.

TurboXS_Nathan 01-03-2006 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 35ounces
So I can use an ebcs like the Blitz and somehow the UTEC can control the amount of pressure I build?????
Is it just controlling fuel and rpm's?

The UTEC's launch control is an RPM limit using spark or fuel control based on the way the user sets the parameters. The EBC will still limit your boost to your desired target. If you find that you are launching at the drag strip with too much boost, simply lower your launch RPM in the UTEC parameter menu. Look into the UTEC’s launch control use in the WRX market for more specifics.

-Nathan

JETPILOT 01-03-2006 02:05 PM

:rockout:

When do we get to see these BCS's?????? Soon I hope.... as in next week?

Respect
JET

35ounces 01-03-2006 02:15 PM

Nathan,
How does the Perrin solenoid compare with others? I was thinking of going with that sinced you guys dont have one available for us yet. Any others you recommend?

paranormal 01-03-2006 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
We got the open loop boost control working on the UTEC utilizing the APS Solenoid form their boost control. It was something we wanted to do for a while and just got around to doing it:icon38: So now with the addition of an inexpensive Boost Control Solonoid, you can have the UTEC control a complete boost,timing and fuel map!!This eliminates the need for an expensive boost controler and gives you the simplicity of being able to store multiple maps in the UTEC and switch them on the fly...So for exmaple you will be able to store up to 5 different maps complete with boost settings, that you can switch between on the fly!!! Lets say you want to run one 9psi map for 93 octane on the street,now one at 9psi with less timing for the summer,or one for the winter oxigenated gasoline mix we get, or one for 13-15 psi for the race track..No problem!!
We will be doing some more road testing, but we were halted due to the weather..We did manage to mantain and hold 9psi using the UTEC open loop boost control feature.We were also able to produce a faste spool up playing with the Boost Control Gain feature in the user constants menu..We will be dyno tuning several maps this week and I will post the results.I just wanted to let everyone know, save your money on those fancy boost controlers:D

WWW.RACEMRC.COM
For your 350z/G35 performance needs.
Authorized Turbo XS UTEC distributors
Authorized Dyno Dynamics load based tunning facility comming 3/06!!
Authorizes Greddy Dealer/Installer
Authorized GTSPEC dealer
Authorized Unlimited Tuning Revolution dealer
Authorized Speed Force Racing Dealer

Email: Sales@racemrc.com
AIM: salesmrc
Phone: 732-251-8200
Mobile: 732-558-4560
MRC MOTORSPORTS
116 Main St.
Spotswood NJ 08884

sweet put this on my car and toss me a few maps :) this is great news

paranormal 01-03-2006 02:49 PM

also how much is this external switch?

Julian@MRC 01-03-2006 03:04 PM

I like the part about changing your underwear..:icon18:
Nathan, I think the APS BCS is simply a GM, in which they defaced all the identifiable markings.:rolleyes: Can you guys send me one of those BCS you guys are working on to play with,along with a map switch on me next shipment..

paranormal 01-03-2006 03:05 PM

make that two sets of each :)

BlackTuner 01-03-2006 03:56 PM

:rockout:

When do we get to see these BCS's?????? Soon I hope.... as in next week?

Respect
JET

Sorry, the UTEC boost solenoid's will not be available next week. As soon as I have better release date I will let you guys know. I hate giving a date and then having to push it back due to some type of issue that arises.

Nathan,
How does the Perrin solenoid compare with others? I was thinking of going with that sinced you guys dont have one available for us yet. Any others you recommend?
The Perrrin solenoid will be be comparable to the GM Solenoid which is used widely. We have used it on a few customers WRX's it seems to work decently but not any better than the GM solenoid FWIW.

also how much is this external switch?
The UTEC remote switch retails for $79.

I like the part about changing your underwear..
Nathan, I think the APS BCS is simply a GM, in which they defaced all the identifiable markings. Can you guys send me one of those BCS you guys are working on to play with,along with a map switch on me next shipment..
As soon as we are able to get a few test units out, we will ship one to you.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com

JETPILOT 01-03-2006 04:14 PM

Here is the solenoid Jermaine is refering to....

GM part# 1997152

It was used on the Syclone. It's doesn't have much bling factor. Price $15.69

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=213815

YUCK !!! :icon16:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/atta...chmentid=57843

Respect
JET

35ounces 01-03-2006 04:17 PM

damn your good. How'd you find that so quick?!

-David (was still searching for the part #)

JETPILOT 01-03-2006 04:24 PM

I have given my soul to the dark side, and have received great powers in return. Powers you can only beginn to imagine.... such as being able to search the internet much more quickly than the average person. :icon22:

:)

Respect
JET

35ounces 01-03-2006 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah not much bling here ...

rs350z 01-03-2006 06:18 PM

Any one have any pictures of the external switch???