Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The weak link with 410 RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006 | 08:48 AM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

What i mean is when your just cruising on the highway or around 50-60mph, just let off the gas. My diff makes a wooo woooo noise. Not really noticeable but its there. Im very in tune with my cars noises. It can get serious, if it starts making the noise real loud and constantly then theres a serious problem. Im gonna swap to the 3.3 diff anyway so Im not too worried while its still somewhat quiet.

Originally Posted by FastTrackZ
barthelb- what do you mean when you say the differential "howls" when you let off? Sometimes i hear a quiet sound when i let off, but im hoping its not the same thing youre talking about. is it a serious problem even if it is? it only happens sometimes...
Old 01-17-2006 | 08:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Bart-how many miles on your car? Sounds like your rear end is out of adjustment. It may not be drag racing related. I know they shim things back there, not exactly sure what though. Have you changed the fluid/checked it regularly? My rear end doesnt whine and I drag race and I have 54K miles on my car....
Old 01-17-2006 | 09:02 AM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

I have 51k now. I changed my fluid twice. Once at 28k miles right before I went FI, Then again at 43k. I've put 23K miles on the APS kit with 440hp and 403+trq on the car. So, I think its had its life span or maybe it could be out of alignment but I doubt that. I had it checked out and I think my shop would of found that. Just more reason to switch to an AT diff for longer gears.

Originally Posted by Alberto
Bart-how many miles on your car? Sounds like your rear end is out of adjustment. It may not be drag racing related. I know they shim things back there, not exactly sure what though. Have you changed the fluid/checked it regularly? My rear end doesnt whine and I drag race and I have 54K miles on my car....
Old 01-17-2006 | 09:13 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by barthelb
The differential is another weak link if you do continuous drag racing. Mine is starting to howl when I let off on the freeway. I also broke the mount that has a seal on it so some fluid came out. But its still fine.
CONFESSION, I was the driver who miss-shifted at Cal/Speedway that WA2Good was talking about in the Black G35 on the front of our website. LOL, we always bring our trailer and because Fontana is sooo close to San Diego, we didn't that day and simply drove the cars up.

Mistake #1

After the Shift @#&$ up incident, which BTW happened when I was passing a 500 WHP yoked out ZO6 Vette down the straightaway, the car lost boost within a half of lap. Pulled into the pits, the car was overheated and BROKE, Tranny destroyed. You can watch the video on our site, the Corvette was silver/black and he hit his rev limiter trying to escape our G35s pursuit. I passed the Vette just before the mis-shift. Yes....

OOOPS. Because we didn't have the trailer that day -Stupid! I had to pay the Cal Speedway towing company $810. OUCH.

At any rate, it can happen to any of us if you have 400 plus WHP and you drive extremely competitive and hard. However, I do want to say I have seen more cars break, drivetrains, clutch, fly, LSD, and more- drag racing at the launch and extreme revs on short distances than in our road racing and track days.

Goodluck

Last edited by mraturbo; 01-17-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2006 | 09:18 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Power isn't going to break your driveline, shock is. I snapped an axle BEFORE my turbo install at the track on slicks. I've had zero issues with plenty of hard launches on DRs with over 450rwhp, but I've been very careful not to completely dump the clutch like I did when I broke on the slicks.
Old 01-17-2006 | 09:21 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by throbbing_Zon
Well i was at my tuners shop the other day and I saw his old drive shaft out of his '04 roadster. I didn't know those shafts were hollow!! It was torn in two pieces. His is APS'd TT, 500 rwhp.
Mine didn't look very hollow when it broke.

Old 01-17-2006 | 09:25 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Power isn't going to break your driveline, shock is. I snapped an axle BEFORE my turbo install at the track on slicks. I've had zero issues with plenty of hard launches on DRs with over 450rwhp, but I've been very careful not to completely dump the clutch like I did when I broke on the slicks.
Agreed. Great picture Briguy

I broke my EVO 8, clutch and transfer case, by quickly dumping the clutch without slipping it. With all 4 wheels gripping, that is a huge stress on the drive-train and I would suggest when launching, slip the clutch more than not to help avoid problems. Although NOT A GUARANTEE, it helps.

Old 01-17-2006 | 09:41 AM
mdracer76
Banned

he said DRIVE SHAFT looks like you broke an AXLE

~Mike
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:36 PM
EM-EFER

Man................... you have a dirty rear end
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:52 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mdracer76
he said DRIVE SHAFT looks like you broke an AXLE

~Mike

A lot of guys use driveshaft and axle interchangably. I've never heard of the CF DRIVESHAFT on a Z breaking. Seems to me that would be one of the last things to break in the driveline.
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:53 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by lukesnyder
Man................... you have a dirty rear end

Two winters...car doesn't see winter anymore....
Old 01-17-2006 | 02:12 PM
jeremybudd

yeah I have heard drive shaft for the axles and propellor shaft for the drive shaft if that makes any sense.
Old 01-18-2006 | 08:26 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Jason@MRC
I 2nd that! I was one of the first that had an axle problem and that was 2 years ago and 200 LESS HP.. I broke the CV joint in the boot coming out of the rear on the drivers side. And yes I was NA and on slicks... It is the shock to the drivetrain that will cause axle failure.. I have run my car probably 100 times or more since then and with over 400whp without any problems.. But I don't launch at 6000 rpms anymore... I basically ride the clutch out at about 3500 rpms and then go from there... Guess thats why I can't do better than a 1.68 60' but also why I haven't broken another axle yet... So overall, I would say that the drivetrian is pretty strong..
+1
Old 01-18-2006 | 05:31 PM
FastTrackZ

bartleby- i know youre probably kind of tired of my q's on the diff, but is the howling a constant noise or like does it waver as youre cruising? i have a noise sometimes where liek it wavers, i dont know though. and when you say a serious problem that just means like the diff is messed up, nothing else right? o and will my warantee cover it, car has a little over 20k, but i bought it used?
Old 01-19-2006 | 09:41 AM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

If im under load or accelerating I don't hear it, as soon as I let off and coast i hear the woooooo wooooooo noise. Its faint so its not real noticeable. Problem can become quit serious if your diff seizes or whatever. Warranty should cover it but i don't know. There is also a complaint that people here their shifter rattling at higher RPMS so you have to find the source.

Originally Posted by FastTrackZ
bartleby- i know youre probably kind of tired of my q's on the diff, but is the howling a constant noise or like does it waver as youre cruising? i have a noise sometimes where liek it wavers, i dont know though. and when you say a serious problem that just means like the diff is messed up, nothing else right? o and will my warantee cover it, car has a little over 20k, but i bought it used?