Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo Lag...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:34 PM
wizzdumb77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Turbo Lag...

I recently traded in a 2001 Audi TT for my 2004 Z and I love it. I'm currently 'searching' for information on future modifications. When I had my Audi (and it was turbo), there seemed to be a lot of lag when I accelerated, especially in 1st. My question is about determining between SC and Turbo, with kits like Turbonetics or Greddy, should I expect that same lag. Also I used to have a Toyota Tacoma, that was SC and if I remember correctly, the acceleration seemed fluid and smooth, would the difference in acceleration between SC and Turbo be significantly better for one more than the other? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Pretty much all the turbo kits spool up between 2500-3800. Theres not really a whole lot of lag and that doesn't take into account that with 3.5 L of displacement off boost torque is still good..
Old 01-15-2006, 03:50 PM
chimmike

I think a bit of the lag you experienced on the Audi was probably for traction purposes, electronically limited boost until a certain rpm or speed was reached.....the turbos they use stock are absolutely tiny and don't lend themselves to lag at all.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by wizzdumb77
I recently traded in a 2001 Audi TT for my 2004 Z and I love it. I'm currently 'searching' for information on future modifications. When I had my Audi (and it was turbo), there seemed to be a lot of lag when I accelerated, especially in 1st. My question is about determining between SC and Turbo, with kits like Turbonetics or Greddy, should I expect that same lag. Also I used to have a Toyota Tacoma, that was SC and if I remember correctly, the acceleration seemed fluid and smooth, would the difference in acceleration between SC and Turbo be significantly better for one more than the other? Thanks.
Me again. Whichever way you go you will not have this thing when you rev to like 3500 and then nothing and after that you feel like a truck just rear-ended you.
Contrary to what you may belive, it is not turbos that lag, its OVERSIZED turbos that do. In all current kits the turbo size is well matched to the VQ.
Sorry. Try another way to narrow down your choices...

P.S. If you want to compare these side-by-side, track down the copies of the Sport Z Magazine.
http://www.sportzmagazine.com/
Find the back issues with the turbo shooutout (has a blue Greddy 350z on cover). Order it. Read it. It does not pick a clear winner, but it does point out the differences of each kit. You'll get more ideas.
There is another one from a couple of years back with same thing on SC. If you chose to read that one too, remember:

DO NOT POST THREADS INQUIRING ABOUT THE DREAMWORKES BLOWER!!!!!!

Do a search on it to find out why.

P.P.S. Get a copy of Speed magazine in which they put the cars with Greddy TT, JWT TT, Vortech SC and a Stillen SC against each other. You'll get a good clue how each concept works against others...

Last edited by Oleg; 01-15-2006 at 04:04 PM.