Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy TT SUBSTITUTE???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Greddy TT SUBSTITUTE???

I hate my mitsubishi TD05-18G turbos!!!

Is there any other turbo, possibly ball bearing that I can easily replace those Td05's with??? I'm not trying to modify the turbo manifolds...
Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Geovannie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you hate them? Is it because they can support over 650whp, runs 10s with ease, and still spool extremely fast?

Or maybe it is because they blew up due to a installation error?

lol I'm ****ing with you. Call Forced Performance. They are the masters at doing crazy shiat with mitsu turbos.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:06 PM
chimmike

they don't spool all that super fast......
Old 04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Geovannie

Originally Posted by chimmike
they don't spool all that super fast......
I guess that is relative to some of the cars I have been in. To me they spool fast as hell for the power they are capable.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
tecni

Originally Posted by Geovannie
Why do you hate them? Is it because they can support over 650whp, runs 10s with ease, and still spool extremely fast?

Or maybe it is because they blew up due to a installation error?

lol I'm ****ing with you. Call Forced Performance. They are the masters at doing crazy shiat with mitsu turbos.

LOL this guy knows a little too much for his own good!!
Old 04-03-2006, 04:39 PM
350zzzzzz

yea 18g's are bad *** but it couold help having ball bearings.thats what im doing
Old 04-03-2006, 04:53 PM
MIAPLAYA

OK here we go... I just had this conversation with someone else. Short answer is yes. But it will require a little work on your part. Heres what me and Turbonetics recently came up with. You will need the following:

62-1 Hifi compressor wheel and housing
Turbonetics ceramic ball bearing center section
Stage 3 or 5 turbine wheel (most likely a Stage 3 for good spool up on stock 3.5 L displacement) however if your goal is over 1000 HP you could use a Stage 5 turbine wheel.
Precision turbo makes a turbine housing that will accept a T3 turbine wheel but maintains a TD05 inlet flange foot print.

So essentially what you would do is purchase the Precision TD05H (T3) turbine housing and send a pair of them to Turbonetics. They would then assemble and balance a 60-1 or 62-1 hifi ball bearing turbo for you keeping the TD05 inlet flange foot print so you wouldn't have to switch your manifold flange. It may require some work on changing the flange on your downpipes but you would 1000HP potential and good spool up depending on what size compressor and turbine you went with..
Old 04-03-2006, 05:29 PM
tvieira24

Ball bearings give a 10% - 15% increase in spool. Thats it.

There is no crazy wizard inside the center cartridge giving you amazingly fast spool. Say your turbos now are acheiving full bost by 2500 rpms. Technically, with the ball bearing turbos, you'll achieve that full boost at 2125 rpms instead of 2500 rpms.

To me, it's not worth upgrading unless you are looking for bigger turbos that flow more.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Geovannie

Originally Posted by tvieira24

There is no crazy wizard inside the center cartridge giving you amazingly fast spool. Say your turbos now are acheiving full bost by 2500 rpms. Technically, with the ball bearing turbos, you'll achieve that full boost at 2125 rpms instead of 2500 rpms.

To me, it's not worth upgrading unless you are looking for bigger turbos that flow more.

With ball bearing turbos it is not so much about initial boost response but more of a difference in transient boost response. That is where it is a night and day difference.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Fairlady_z33

How much will this run for this is something nice and i was thinking about. Very intrested and look forward to this.

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
OK here we go... I just had this conversation with someone else. Short answer is yes. But it will require a little work on your part. Heres what me and Turbonetics recently came up with. You will need the following:

Stage 3 or 5 turbine wheel (most likely a Stage 3 for good spool up on stock 3.5 L displacement) however if your goal is over 1000 HP you could use a Stage 5 turbine wheel.
Precision turbo makes a turbine housing that will accept a T3 turbine wheel but maintains a TD05 inlet flange foot print.

So essentially what you would do is purchase the Precision TD05H (T3) turbine housing and send a pair of them to Turbonetics. They would then assemble and balance a 60-1 or 62-1 hifi ball bearing turbo for you keeping the TD05 inlet flange foot print so you wouldn't have to switch your manifold flange. It may require some work on changing the flange on your downpipes but you would 1000HP potential and good spool up depending on what size compressor and turbine you went with..
Old 04-04-2006, 07:42 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Fairlady_z33
How much will this run for this is something nice and i was thinking about. Very intrested and look forward to this.
Thats a good question... The turbo compressor and center section would run about $1000 each then add turbine housings at about $200-300 each... Call it $3000 to be safe...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tvieira24

Actually, it is a little more than that. Understandably, in normal racing conditions, you won't notice much difference between Greddy's turbos and APS's BB turbos. If you really want to see where the difference is, get the car going about 30mph in 5th gear and punch it. Night and day diff between the turbos at that point.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
tecni

yeah, I thnk I can come up with better ways of spending 3k lol
Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Metal Heart

A TD05 is a TD05. You could buy a set of EVOIII 16G's from Forced Performance and they'd lower the MAX WHP a little, but spool up faster. Or you could get small 16Gs and the spool would be REALLY quick but again ... less max WHP. Both 18Gs and 16Gs are TD05s so you can fit them on the same manifolds. EVOIIIs 16Gs are like 700 new. 1400 total. Or find em used on a DSM board for like 500ish each.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:23 AM
Fairlady_z33

I wouldnt go with smaller turbo's i would get those 62 hi fi compressor wheel to later on get 1000+ thats my choice and just get a 50 shot to help the spool up
Old 04-08-2006, 12:25 PM
tecni

FOund a shop IN orlando that rebuilds and balances just about any turbo. And this is not a crappy facility... no, they have two machines. One is a $20k balancer and then they have the mammoth car-sized balancer that's probably around 40k.

These people are legit and are rebuilding my twins. 325 for all the work including parts.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:55 PM
supra crazy

Originally Posted by tecni
FOund a shop IN orlando that rebuilds and balances just about any turbo. And this is not a crappy facility... no, they have two machines. One is a $20k balancer and then they have the mammoth car-sized balancer that's probably around 40k.

These people are legit and are rebuilding my twins. 325 for all the work including parts.
Really i thought you rebuilt yours your self?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:58 PM
aalzuhair

What is the 62-1 HiFi ... I thought they only had a 60-1 HiFi or a 62-1 .. and then, can that turbo fit in the same place?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:38 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
What is the 62-1 HiFi ... I thought they only had a 60-1 HiFi or a 62-1 .. and then, can that turbo fit in the same place?
A 62-1 Hifi is something that can be done by Turbonetics. Its just not a ready made compressor. When talking to Tyler and the guys over there about this they said it would be NO problem to make a 62-1 Hifi if you guys were interested in it. Unfortunately I talked to Precision and they no longer make a turbine housing that would work in this application. as a result the only way this would work is if an adaptor was made to bolt the TD05 inlet and convert it to a T3 inlet. It would be pretty cheap to build of course and Turbonetics does offer just the T3 flange. It will just require a little work on your end. But if someone could come up with a swap system (adaptor for turbine inlet and turbine outlet) this upgrade would run somewhere in the neighborhood of $2700 for the BB upgrade but only $1500 for the non-bb. Either one would support in excess of 1000 HP.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:17 AM
aalzuhair

A 62-1 Hifi is something that can be done by Turbonetics. Its just not a ready made compressor. When talking to Tyler and the guys over there about this they said it would be NO problem to make a 62-1 Hifi if you guys were interested in it.
Very interesting …. Do you know if the 62-1 HiFi is similar to the 60-1 Hifi in terms of external dimensions? I might give Mr. Tyler a call muhahaha

Quick Reply: Greddy TT SUBSTITUTE???